Personal View site logo
What is going on with the "blip"
  • 31 Replies sorted by
  • >Ultimately, I think the blip is a necessary trade-off. We'll just have to learn how to live with it.

I am not so sure.
    I think that with time we could find how to adjust it according to selected bitrate.
  • Vitaliy,

This is in it's own subject. Do you mean something else? Feel free to change.

Chris
  • I wouldn't be so sure that it didn't happen at all in the GH1. The codec in the GH2 is much more sophisticated. Also, in order to get some GH13 patches to not crash we had to set a value that slowed the start-up (equivalent to creating lower resolution frames for the first several frames).

Ultimately, I think the blip is a necessary trade-off. We'll just have to learn how to live with it.

Chris
  • @EOSHD

Panasonic changed encoder very significantly.
    Botrate estimator in GH1 had been even worse.
    In GH2 it is improved, but not very much.
  • Thanks for the info.

Why didn't the blip happen on the hacked GH1? No b-frames? Would turning off b-frames help with the blip? I don't mind the blip it is more that the thumbnail in playback mode is generated from the blip and so it makes reviewing clips quickly a bit of a pain.
  • @cbrandin

Big thanks for your view on the subject.

Do you think that it deserves special topic, and not to be placed in one about quantizer?
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions