Personal View site logo
Audio Noise Reduction Software like iZotope RX6
  • 52 Replies sorted by
  • Yep, a +1 for iZotope RX2 from me as well. I have always used it for audio production and transferring vinyl to digital, but it's also amazing for video work too. If you can get a good sample of the noise on it's own it's amazing how good a job it can do of separating it from the frequencies you want to keep.

• +1 on iZotope RX2.

As an alternative, I have used the built-in one in my version of Adobe Audition 3.0 because sometimes it does a better job. RX2 has a huge amount of control as you of course will know - you can separate out tonal and broadband noise, and lots of other options. Sometimes none of that helps and the simpler Audition one works perfectly. So I tend to go between those two.

Techniques: multipass is a good technique, also inverting so you just hear the output noise, which helps to isolate unwanted birdies in the sound, and finally, reversing the audio before noise-reducing can sometimes give you more to play with while preserving the transients (reverse it back afterwards, of course).

Another thing which can help with interior recordings of musical instruments is to noise-reduce so much that the background completely disappears in quiet passages, then put some reverb back in afterwards - it can fool the ear into thinking you had a really quiet venue.