Personal View site logo
Film festival question: 720p50 with slow motion or 1080p24?
  • I want to send a film I'm about to start shooting to a few festival where it would be played on a big screen. I want some slow motion in my film for a few key shots, but I know the film doesn't absolutely need it. I want to know, if I'm using the best 720p50 hack, if it will still be a great quality image, or if it will sacrifice the image quality too much and should in that case stick to 1080p24. I'm planning on using Mysteron and Canis Majoris if I go with 1080p, because there are a few night time shots that I have to worry about. I've seen a great example of slow motion with the GH2 on vimeo (which I'm sure many of you have seen:

), and the image looked fantastic in my opinion, but I just don't know how well it would hold up on a bigger screen is all....

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • It really depends how the venue goes about screening your film. For what it's worth, hacked footage at 720p, blown up to 1080p holds up just fine. It's really a creative choice. Why not shoot both parts both ways to have more flexibility?

• @RyanPW

You need inside info about the festival's gear. Many Blu-Ray players will play a 60p AVCHD file from a DVD-R or +R.

Now that I have a 2k projector and 7-metre screen to play with, I'm careful about low-res pictures as well as frame rate.

• @artiswar - I think that's a great idea. shooting both and then just blowing up the 720p to 1080p and cross checking...I can essentially edit two copies as well for festivals! Thanks for the great feedback.

• Do you think if I shot at a shutter speed of a 100 in 1080p24 and then tried slowing it down that it could act as slow motion when I cut the speed down in half in post?

• Yeah this guy did it in 1080p but at a shutter of 50

• How did this guy get his slow motion so smooth in 24p at a shutter of 50? He says he only used timewarp in ae but he must have done something to keep the smoothness of the image.

• Wondering the same thing, never used timewarp