Personal View site logo
Driftwood Settings, Series 5: Cluster v6 ULTRA RELIABLE, Mysteron, Crossfire, Quantum 9B, Sedna...
  • 1029 Replies sorted by
  • @Superset: Could you post up a streamparser screengrab for the mts file you shot on Cluster v6? Alternatively, use a bitrate proggie like MediaInfo or Videospec (free off the internet) to tell you the Mbps info. Many thanks. The reason I say this is this: Cluster's top Bitrate is indeed 90M+ but ONLY when required. I need to confirm that your test shot actually used that data rate. Its purely for research - cus Im interested. Thanks for your test.

• That's what I did. Shot my scene with Sanity, applied Cluster v6, shot the same scene. The camera didn't move so same lens and settings. I want to get maximum image quality but wondering if it's worth almost 3x the storage requirement. Hence, my question about whether I should switch as I'm missing out on something?

• Sanity v5 is a good quality hack with insanely low bitrate. So you can shoot for a long time, especially on a card like this: goo.gl/gbQf4

On the other hand, Cluster v6 is excellent at being economical, as well. I am shooting a timelapse of clouds over NYC now (on the card as above), and after 3hrs of shoot (all spanned fine), I still see about 40min left on the card indicator. Most likely, this estimate will actually translate into a couple hours more. Granted, we are talking about the wide shot of, basically, a landscape with only slow and slight changes over time - the holy grail of long GOP.

Now, to compare the hacks, ideally you should have two identically set cameras, with the only difference being that they'd have different hacks installed. Shoot different setups, then drop both videos on timeline in a high-end editor (I actually do it in AE), and pixel peep :)

• Sorry, I should have mentioned it eariler. The Sanity MTS bit rate was somewhere around 34K and the Cluster bitrate was somewhere around 90K.

• @SuperSet I'm not asking you to change - if you like Sanity - stay with it. Most beta work has gone into 720p and HBR modes for v6 - our team wanted all modes working (inc. iA and iDynamic) with better quality and better motion (bigger p and b frames!). Cluster 24pH is extremely good on scenic detail & motion.

The scene you depict I wouldn't say is too overtaxing - what was the bitrate for each and the chart data?

• I've been happy with Sanity v5 and was thinking about installing Cluster v6 for the benefits listed above. However, after having shot a back-to-back comparison, I couldnt see the difference to my untrained eye. Do you know what I should be looking for?

sorry, dont know how to embed

• @Paulsoso Hi Paul, click on page 1 - and look under the Cluster Settings zip attachments. Can't wait to see how you get on with it - with some of the subject matter you film ;-)

• i can find the patch Cluster v6...??!!!

• Looks good in harsh sunlight around water with a 32gig 45mb card 720-60... Nick. I want to look at the grain after dark.

• Does the in-cam playback work with Cluster v6? I'm still tinkering around with Cluster v4. To get in-cam playback to work, I power the GH2 down and then back up again. This somehow allows me to view playback through the GH2's display. This solution has worked for me with both slow and fast memory cards.

• @driftwood Thank you Sir! I am very happy with these settings. (Donated several times)

• All I could say now is Cluster 6 will make the price of sandisk go down. No need to buy expensive extreme Pro sandisk.

• @peaceonearth No difference on 24p/HBR25p/1080i50 - same as GOP1 version. Only difference is 720p60/50 employs Cluster settings.

• Thanks @driftwood!! Just tested the clusterv6 and it works great at fsh, 720p and ex-fsh.

• ooh, again lost overview.. Would anyboy be so kind and explain to me what's the difference between CM SkinTone Soft and CM SkinTone Soft Crossfire? Thanks in advance. [sorry for repost, I have no idea yet]

• *** NEW *** Cluster v6 'DREWnet' 12/15 GOP implementation - The Ultra Reliable Setting is now released. See page 1.

• iA recordings in HBR look stunning.
    • 720p60 modes span and look great. Ditto 720p50.
    • 720 modes with Etc and iDynamic on High actually works.
    • You DON'T neccesarily need the best sdcard for this setting.
    • 24pH / L Both look great and will regularly resolve the target Q of 16 where possible.
    • Tested over the last week by twelve beta testers to enable it to just 'work' on GH2 and GFx.
    • Incorporates the best of Orion & Sedna matrices which will mix well with GOP1 recordings.
    • Tested for reliability to work on Panasonic lenses, 14-42 (and X lens version), 14-140, 20mm pancake, 7-14mm ASPH, 45-175mm X lens. Therefore any other lenses should have no problems.
    • Very nice motion
    • 6 GOP version using the same stats ratios as the 12/15 GOP for even higher quality coming soon.

Some of the earlier work over at DREWnetwork... Humerous and insightful. Hopefully, they'll be taking a look at their very own dedicated setting Cluster v6 'DREWnet' very soon :-)

Cluster v4:

Cluster v6 12/15 GOP HBR Modes:-

• Not yet @mo7ies. And perhaps never ... unless VK can inscribe something into the menus!

• Is there, or is there not, a way to tell which hack is currently installed on your GH2?

It starts to look a bit like A Scanner Darkly. Unsure what the hack is installed at every given moment on the given camera...

• Cluster V6 is looking really really good. Did some little tests. (tried HBR, 720p50 and 1080p24) Next week I'm going to greece, taking the GH2 with me. I was looking for a good patch to take with me.. Well I've fond one: Cluster V6 :)

• @driftwood you got the formula wrong ;) It's E=mc².

Does the audio hack disable camera preview ability?

• @driftwood I am shooting quite much docu work but want it to look filmic... And i always use HBR modes since I live in EU. All my work is viewed om the webb or DVD....

So that's why I am running rocket as my setting, what do you think?

• cant wait to try out this new cluster v6. everytime i see a new gh2 episode on drewnetwork i always watch them. good info on there

• Here's some Cluster v5.1 footage shot at church today, 85mm Zeiss with ETC at ISO 320. Uploaded the raw MTS file straight to YouTube. I thought the camera mic sounded great (thanks for the audio improvements too!)

• Thanks Nick, for sure I'll try those settings out tomorrow :)

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions