Personal View site logo
Game of Thrones
  • First. The books from Song of Ice and Fire series.

It is like fantasy author crossed with writer for Brazilian serials, ancient history lover and some sex addict.
    Btw, author understands that something is slightly wrong, so he, sometimes, after telling you fascinating story of some unnamed brick that heroes just passed by (for 30 pages), like to intoduce twists, in his strange understanding.
    With best tool being killing heroes of his writings without any big reason other then what they are now not required.
    Yep, fans and author constantly repeat that it makes his heroes real, not immportal giants. It is not true, really.
    As people are now require something new and spicey, sex had been added, I am sure, by marketing requests. It does not add anything useful to story, absolutely artificial and can be present or absent without any reason.

Second. Series.

"Very accurate match to the books". Guys, this is just not true.
    In fact, series used worst approach possible. Depicting key things and episodes.
    As any film authors like to show people and emotions , and we really have something originally intended to by turned into Brazilian serial being pushed into just 10 series, it turns out bad. All the logic and real picture is lost.
    Shooting, casting and GPX are quite good.
    But it is really poor film shot on average book.

• 28 Replies sorted by
  • Spectacular show, I love it. The story is good enough to keep my interest from episode to episode. Some sex scenes do feel out of place sometimes, but I don't mind it. Don't take this show too seriously with it's dragons and warlocks, it's just a weekend eye candy and a good one at that.

• Obviously Vitaliy represents a minority opinion on this one. The series has received wide scale critical praise and commercial success.

• Don't take this show too seriously with it's dragons and warlocks, it's just a weekend eye candy and a good one at that.

:-) I just think that it is not so good series. And absolutely sure that they dumped most good present in books.

Obviously Vitaliy represents a minority opinion on this one. The series has received wide scale critical praise and commercial success.

I am perfectly aware about it.
    Series ratings and review PR support systems are really strong btw.

• I am perfectly aware about it.

Everyone has their own opinion. I recently watched two movies that were ripped apart by critics: VERY BAD THINGS (1998) and SKYLINE (2010) and I liked both of them.

• good call Vitaliy! totally agree.

• I agree with Vitaliy in that the series strays from the books. That being said, I loved the books BUT I also love the series. For someone that has never read the books, there would be no disappointment in the series, and for someone like me who has read the books, I probably would have tried to stay closer to the source material if I was directing/producing.

Regardless, they are both GREAT sources of entertainment.

I'm sure there are strong camps on both sides of this.

For example, I'm a great fan of Lee Child and his Jack Reacher character. When I found out that Tom Cruise was picked to portray him I almost threw up! Anyone familiar with the book character will know what I mean when I say that Tom Cruise is about as opposite end of the spectrum as what Jack Reacher is portrayed as in the series.

But, that's the subject of yet ANOTHER book to movie topic!

Tony

• Vitaliy totaly agree glad to know not alone. As much as I love Scifi/fantasy I'm beginning to not care if I see another episode. The production qualities and cast are excellent so they do deserve recognition for that.

• Proper Treatment of Title sequence:

• I really enjoy the show, but yeah, based what I've read of the differences between book and show, I'm glad I've never read it. I'll never watch Walking Dead anymore because of how far they changed things from the comic. The vast majority of adaptations suck because most writers don't have the balls to NOT change things. News flash....if the book sold millions of copies, you don't need to make it "better" because chances are, you're not as good a writer as the original author and the further away to take it from the source, the worse it will be.

• you don't need to make it "better" because chances are, you're not as good a writer as the original author and the further away to take it from the source, the worse it will be.

Yet the author made scenery for two episodes as I know, and they are not better :-)

vast majority of adaptations suck because most writers don't have the balls to NOT change things.

The Shawshank Redemption is excellent example of opposite :-)
    I even read many reviews attibuting sucess to Rita Hayworth & The Shawshank Redemption story. Because they did not read it :-)

Mostly, if you don't have 150 series, you need to change things in such things, and change significantly. Here seried did not changed much, but use cutouts approach, mostly with scenes that can bring ratings - sex, emotional dialogs, some rape and blood.

• I dissagree....I've read Shawshank way before the movie came out AND, I've actually been to Zihuatanejo, before I ever read the books. But that maybe why I have a special place for it. And no, Zijuatanejo has no beaches that look remotely that nice. :P

EDIT: And part of the problem with authors adapting their own work is, because there's been so many bad adaptations, they're going off that recipe, so they also think they have to change things and "make it better". Plus since writers are at the bottom of the totem pole, and novel writers are below screenwriters, they have no confidence in themselves in a new medium or the power to keep things the same.

• I dissagree....I've read Shawshank way before the movie came out

I suggest to read the story and after this check the movie. They have small number of things in common.

• I thought series 1 wasn't great - and with all that money, what a horrible grade.

• It is very high production value and very watchable. Cheap entertainment for the mind. But it's very shallow. Nothing invites second thoughts, poses moral questions or counter-poses different points of view. A 6 year old kid can watch it for 30 seconds and accurately tell who are the bad guys and who are the good guys.

• A 6 year old kid can watch it for 30 seconds and accurately tell who are the bad guys and who are the good guys.

Interesting :-) Have you read the books?
    Bad-good simple division is not really common to them.

• I read Shawshank in High School, before the movie came out, then again after the movie came out. I had also ACTUALLY been to the fantasy town Tim Robbins talked about on a family vacation YEARS before the book or movie, so they both stand out in my memory extra because I had a small real connection to it.

Shawshank got it right and most people who read the novel agree.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev No, haven't read the books. And I should admit I haven't made too much of an effort with the TV series.

I really like content like The Wire, because most characters are portrayed as simply acting out on the position they are in, and you can usually simpathize with most of them from time to time. It's the system that's fucked. No character always acts out on perfect moral principle, and no other character is always mean.

This "good-bad" simplistic way of seeing things makes people easier to manipulate. I remember almost throwing up when I watched the Pearl Harbour movie a long time ago. They show us half an hour of a few hundread pretty american boys being emotionally killed in those ships - and then in the end the hero goes and firebombs Tokyo and returns valiantly to an aplause (or something like that, watched it a long time ago). It's simple good v.s. bad.

I do understand that stories are told from different points of view. But what I really like about The Battle of Algiers for example, is that although you kind of sense that the filmmakers are simpathetic to the Algierian side, they still include close-ups of innocent french people who get killed in the action, and shots of ruinied houses after the Algerian side bombed some places. They don't hide the fact that war is really ugly. And you can take someone's side - but you have to do it for a good reason, not because they are morally perfect.

• Love the books! As for the series, season 1 was fantastic... season two skipped over too much. Apparently they're splitting book three into season 3/4, so hopefully it'll stay closer to the book.

...and here's my favorite cover of the opening theme:

• I'm a big fan of the show, but I haven't read the books other than for a brief period in the bookstore. Obviously, it is a very difficult problem to deal with the complexity of the books with the large number of characters and plot lines, within the confines of a ten episode per book season.

I found I was a bit frustrated in how quickly each storyline was glossed over in the second season and I would have been happy to watch a lot more of any of the storylines. It is almost as if they were desperate to fit in as much as possible but couldn't really do justice to all the story lines or characters. The new format of two seasons per book should help out in this regard.

As for who is clearly good or bad, I must admit the Lannister's are really growing on me even though they were initially set up as the bad guys in the tv series.

Still, all in all a good watch for me, with some exceptional acting performances.

• Game of Thrones is actually filmed in Northern Ireland - I live quite close to some of the locations and know a lot of people working on the technical end. Not really my type of show (I don't really watch it) but it's interesting to see seaside locations radically transformed for the programme.

• Btw, good side of the books is depiction of Middle Ages. Series made also worst decision, as key thing in the book is the age of heroes.
    As the authors, said, they believe that sex on screen is more important :-) And having 14 year olds fuck on cable... nope, we are not so far yet.

• I really enjoy it. I find it very well written, with great acting (especially Peter Billingsley as Tyrion) and nice cinematography as a bonus. I've started to use it as example on how to shoot dialogues.

While I know they've changed things around from the books, George R.R. Martin is very involved with the show (he's even written a few of the episodes) which makes me wonder this: Is it wrong if the author itself approves or is part of the changes made in an adaptation?

• This is a series that has sucked me in. I even spent a lazy day watching 4 episodes in a row. I'm glad I read books very rarely otherwise a lot of movies and tv shows would suck more. It would just be one big spoiler alert. I want to watch something that keeps me surprised.