Personal View site logo
4K USB 3.0 camera with raw option, less than 1K
  • 47 Replies sorted by
  • I can see this on a quad copter, shooting 4k slow mo.

• when you add the laptop to it you just might need a octocopter! ; )

• Here is suitable mini pc if you don't like tablets or ultrabooks

http://www.giadatech.com/index.php?app=product&act=show&id=106

rig-cheap3.jpg
    800 x 372 - 67K
  • I emailed the company when this first got posted to see if that 4k camera could do 24fps at lower resolution and if it would be possible to use external recorder instead of PC. They said:

"Thank you for your interest in our Flea3 USB3.0 cameras.

To answer your questions, you can easily reduce the frame rate of any of our cameras. Increasing the frame rate requires you to selection a ‘region of interest’ while cutting down the resolution. This means it is possible to run our newest 8.8MP model at 24fps. If you need specific information on the resolution required to achieve this, I can put you into contact with our support department.

All of our cameras require connection to a PC to function. Unfortunately due to the size constraints and overall design, these are not set up to record onto external boxes/drives directly."

So...3K for $1K? ^_^

• @CRFilms

I said same thing from the start.

To be accurate it can hold 3.5K with 24fps.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

How do you power up that IVY Bridge thing? I can't find any description on how to power it up except that it uses 90W.

Doesn't even stated the how much it weighs too.

Is there any footage of this Flea3 camera anywhere that I can view?

Thanks

• How do you power up that IVY Bridge thing?

Look at manufacturers page. They use external bricks, so whole thing is powered by DC, either 12V or 19V.

Is there any footage of this Flea3 camera anywhere that I can view?

Ask manufacturer.

• I was thinking of using the 150fps camera to capture gymnasts in ultra slow mo. I could not find specific details of someone actually using this camera with a laptop.. I found examples of the older Flea3 ccd version though. Also the 150fps version is monochrome. Otherwise, a windows 7/8 tablet would work perfectly for this. Perhaps one with a esata port and an attached SSD, even taped to the back. Small world! I researched this last month and was close to buying one, then decided to use the GH2 and twixtor instead..

• @zcream

Almost all windows tablets allow to just replace internal SSDs :-)

• True. Its just easier to have an external ssd that can be unplugged to transfer footage..

• don't get so excited about 4K. I've been grading some footage from the new Canon 4k DSLR.... it's garbage - major macroblocking. Give me color depth and data rate over resolution any day.

• garbage - major macroblocking

This camera output uncompressed signal, and in case of Canon 4K macroblocking is from compression.

• This camera screams to be hooked up to a tablet PC. The only one I could find that MIGHT do the job is this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085A4A3K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1TSN35NIS24VZ

Any thoughts?

• @ahbleza

I would be most interested in your experience with the Vizio notebook.

• @Ralph_B

Never ever get anything on Atom :-)

Look for tablet or ultrabook based on i3-i7.

• @Ralph_B Delivery is still a few weeks away, but I'll let you know. Of course, I'm still waiting for the D800 I ordered in February, and for the 1080p60 upgrade for the AF100. Fortunately, customers are still booking me for gigs, so hopefully I can afford all these things when they turn up on the same day!

• A guy on bought that Flea3 camera a year ago and made his custom setup.

He says he's able to get 3200 x 1800 pixel raw 12-bit frame at 24fps. Max res at 8 bit is 3728 x 2096 at 24fps. Dynamic range is about 11.5 stops.

Main problem is it doesn't really have any proper capture software. He's writing his own and no word if he's going to give it away or sell it. Also the BMPCC has since come out and at $1k it's slightly cheaper than that camera and capture pc. Even with the BMCC getting it's price drop, that's only slightly more than the custom setup.

So it's totally doable, but at this point it would be easier and possibly cheaper to go with Blackmagic. He's posted some great looking footage, but the guy hasn't made any updates in a few months in the thread.

• norpix streampix is designed for this type of capture but is expensive I believe.. 3000$? for a bundle license.. perhaps they can be enticed to produce a lite version for videography purposes

• If you want to 3d with slow mo, the CMV4000 based cameras are the best option. 170fps at 1080p, global shutter, and synced cameras. Just dont want to be the only one struggling with a DIY camera :-)

• @crunchy What setup did you use for this capture ? CMOSIS CMV2000, 2/3” CMOS colour, monochrome or NIR sensor, 2048 × 1088 pixels, 5.5 μm pixel size, 340 FPS at JPEG video acquisition,

• Got one option for CMV2000 with realtime JPEG compression - http://www.avcemporium.com/velociraptor-hs-high-speed-4-mp-smart-cameras/ 2K and 1080p @ 336 fps global sensor. GigE. 6720/-

As compared to the CL model by Basler acA2000-340km for 1550/- And then use the CUDA JPEG model by Norpix - price unkown. http://norpix.com/products/streampix5/modules/cuda_jpeg.php