Personal View site logo
Driftwood Settings, Series 5: Cluster v6 ULTRA RELIABLE, Mysteron, Crossfire, Quantum 9B, Sedna...
  • 1029 Replies sorted by
  • Guys, can you update me on which SD card you are using with the latest Driftwood GOP1 settings. I ordered SanDisk Ultra 32GB 30mb/s cards (the successor of the Extreme Video Pro 30mb/s) but they give speed write errors in all modes. I think they changed something underwater. So shy away from those cards! The store gives me the opportunity to change them for another card. One option is the Extreme 45mb/sec but I remember that people where not so happy with them. How are the old Extreme Pro cards performing? Another option they gave me was the Transcend Ultimate 64GB SDXC. I know the 64GB 95mb/s is the best but they are still expensive and will drop in price the coming months (as every other card, continuous process).

Maybe I should just settle with the Transcend Ultimate 32GB Class 10 which I am using already.

• @driftwood , can you make a separate thread about Cluster settings only ? :-)

• @sohus Same SanDisk cards, same problems with Driftwood 'Globular' Cluster v5.1: 24H: write error 24L: OK, doesn't span 720p SH OK, spans 1080i SH: write error

• @SisterCities ;-) LOL And my fav line from this pre-Spinal Tap brilliance...

Guitarist Vim: "I could play 'Stairway To Heaven' when I was twelve. Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was twenty-two. I think that says quite a lot."

Classic Bad News.

@Frame Did you copy over the contents of the sd card to your hard disk first? SDcard are notorious for not working correctly on import - especially spanned files/4Gb max files. Premiere Pro handles them flawlessly. Just drag and drop the entire Private folder (from hard disk copy) into your bin.

• @feha Any new updates will be on page one - just keep checking that.

Note for Cluster v5.1 users: When reporting, please detail what exposure modes were used in failed recordings? M, P, A or S?

• SanDisk Extreme HD Video 32 GB, 30 MB/s, Driftwood 'Globular' Cluster v5.1, Exp. mode M, Pana 14-42 kit lens: 24H: write error | 24L: OK, doesn't span | 720p SH OK, spans | 1080i SH: write error

• @nemvan Thanks for the detail. What kind of scenery were you filming at the time of fail? Are you working with iDynamic on?

• @sohus I have used the 64GB Transcend SDXC card you mentioned. It is nice to have the extra capacity but I tend to mainly use it with less demanding settings - it often struggles to keep up with demanding GOP1, ones. Still, in a pinch I used it for that purpose when the detail of the scene was low enough.

By the way, to anyone that has not tried the basics for improving reliability (and some of the comments above reminded me that it is not universally done) here are some things that may help your card cope. Some repeats included.

• Shoot in Creative Mode with exposure mode set to M.
    • Use manual focus mode.
    • Use a manual focus lens (no electronic communication with the GH2 can help).
    • Set your film mode to -2, -2, -2, -2. If you want to mess with saturation, feel free, but upping the sharpness can decrease stability if you are on the edge of working.
    • Intelligent Dynamic and Intelligent Resolution off.
    • No AUTO ISO. The camera is also doing less processing at lower ISOs (at least based on limited stability trials late last year, but they were not strictly controlled in my case).
    • Shutter speed can affect stability, so if you tried everything above, you may want to try modifying the shutter speed as well.

This is not really a "tip" in the same way as the above, but you can improve stability by under or overexposing the image in a pinch. Sometimes that can be enough to make a given setting fit into the datarate a lslower card can handle.

And of course, softer lenses and shallow DOF tend to reduce the amount of data being recorded, so sometimes that can help, too.

But most of these extra comments are extreme workarounds, while the rest of the list is more practical.

• If anyone wants to beta test Cluster v6 12/15 please contact me via pm. Please remember it took beta testing upto version9b with Intra before I was beginning to get happy about it. Always good to get as many people to test as possible. :-)

• @driftwood superb sir,....

• Hi, can anyone let me know what IDynamic is? I am missing something...PM is good not get out of topic, thanks

• @driftwood The classic "leaves moving in the wind" scene :) iDynamic off. Anyway, I retested it using a manual Canon FD lens and a 45 MB/s SanDisk card, same result.

• @driftwood did you watched this sir??? its actually a rush..the original footage is over 30min and its superb.

its new quantum v9b sedna adapted matrix ,...super friendly patch sir,.. i converter it to 4k prores 422 hq. it is superb and no blur or worst results even in 4k.

i realized even the old hacks are eligible to project in 4k cinema screens.

i will convert one of the short films to 35mm soon.

sir do you have any suggestions over quantum v9b for 4k transfer??

i asked you the same 2 days ago and still i didnt receive any answer from u sir. my shoot is on july 1st.

should i go with quantum or is there any better for 4k conversion??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kgBuVwxs5bc

• Looks good @rajamalik - sorry Im away from usual puter at moment - at work on edit :-)

• @driftwood dont be sorry sir. it was taken in a old south indian zoo. we spent 9 hrs continues run to get some cool wild animal behaviors. that bear danced for almost 1 hr,,, he never got tired may be once he was a singer / dancer,..lol...then a lot more....

there are only less than 2500 tigers in the world. this is a very bad thing what we did to this exotic animal. white tigers are very rare to be found. its said there are only 300 or less white tigers exists in this world.only one tiger gives birth out of 100 in this white bengal breed.the golden tiger is only 25 or less in number globally.

we are planning to take a short film only on tigers. my team "ares talkies" will release a commercial short film on "save tiger project" wish us good luck to get some real wild footage of tigers from south and north indian mountains.

@driftwood thank you for such a superb hack like quantum v9b (new) its so good even after 4k conversion. but i need a suggestion from you on this.is there any better patch available which hold maximum quality and details for 4k conversion??? what should i take (using final cut pro x, magic bullet 11, crumple pop suites, 5d to rgb) ????????????

• @rajamalik All Canis Majoris settings show an even tighter grain in my opinion but theyre all very close with just that chroma/luma look apart. It really is 'horses for courses' and what looks good to you now.

• Hey all, been lurking for quite some time now & trying to post my first video. Many thanks to all involved with the hacks!

Just a quick test clip using Driftwood Mysteron, a Glidecam & Olympus 12mm f2 to test the hands-free autofocus.

FWIW, the GH2 running Mysteron has taken everything I can throw at it & never once crapped out. Lots of motion, 45 minute clips (spanning is great) 30fps, you name it. I'm running the 64 gig San disk extreme pro.

Apologies for the vignette... this lens does not like 3 52mm filters stacked on it!

• @driftwood i know canis is the best. because i already tested CM night very well. i love it. but you mentioned its meant only for night. but in my shooting it performed well at day too. if i take canis here we have CM Night and CM PM.which one i should take? i have morning afternoon evening and night shots. i have 2 gh2 and mostly panny lenses. i will be getting nikon 50mm and 85mm primes in couple of days. so is it fine i can load up canis night for all the time and run the show or i should wait to get all am pm night to cross work with my cams????????????

• @rajamalik I dont doubt that Night will perform well in the day. If you are happy with your tests stick to what you feel good with.

• @driftwood thank you very much for such promising words sir... by the way i am testing Canis DayPM tomorrow in some strange abandoned places.my team members fixed time between 1pm to 5pm.i will report back once its uploaded. further i have plans to buy one more gh2 yet not confirmed as i am waiting for some serious projects and commitments to invest in.i will hope for each cam with an individual patch CM night pm and am all together. wish me good luck!!

• @driftwood Sir, you have PM, uploaded the file mentioned in post #7, page 10. Thanks a lot!

• Hey guys, I shot this last Friday with Orion v4b. When we left to shoot the lighting was great but then the storm started to roll in and you can't see it very well but it was raining just about the entire shoot. Almost all handheld and shot on the 14-42 kit lens. Rough edit, and not releasing this one but take a look.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions