Personal View site logo
New Music Video "Cronofobico"
  • 49 Replies sorted by
  • @ehr Unfortunately we don´t have any link, nor we recorded a step by step of construction. But you can check out some links that were inspiring to us:

-vimeo.com/18349833

-kokomonstrum.com/pages/igus_belt_driven_motorized_servo_slider_16.asp#

-www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM1Pb5x2wa8&feature=related

-www.cameraslider.de/

-www.pocketslider.de/

just a note, we decide to put the motor on the edge of the slider to avoid the vibration cause by the motor when is below the camera, but the principle is the same. It takes some time and craft to build it, but it isn´t rocket science.

Hope it helps!

• @rikyxxx thank you! Sharing is the least we can do, after all we have learned with you guys. Hopefully will have more to show soon!

• @duartix Thanks a lot! Dead combo is kinda unique, but these are exciting times to be creative, with image or sound! After the decay of music tv channels into cheap reality shows during this past decade, internet, mainly youtube, brought to light some very good stuff that was being made and didn´t have space on broadcast, follow by vimeo, and so on...

With dslr revolution about 3 years ago, anyone can start film making with extraordinary quality at an affordable price and spread it worldwide. And even if that is a plain fact, somehow I keep reminding myself that is simply AMAZING!

• thanks for the links.

• WOW!!

^_^

• Terrific. Well done. Excellent work @MrEdd - and a great band.

• @MrEdd: When you say timelapses using burst node you mean the HSS mode @4MP? If so how did you dealt with rolling shutter?

• Thank you @driftwood, for your amazing work and persistence in taking gh2 to its limits!

• @duartix If I understand your question correctly, when we shot in burst mode, we use the electronic shutter, getting jpegs with 1920x1080. The timelapser only takes one pic at a time even if its in burst mode.

• @MrEdd : I didn't knew we could use that mode at 1920x1080 resolution. I thought it would only write out 4MP jpegs.

About the rolling shutter issue, I had heard about it and experienced it myself. I think of this mode as a special photographic mode where I can choose the Shutter Speed after taking the photo.

What I mean is that sometimes I take the 40 photos for 1s and later I decide how many of those 40 pictures will I stack together depending on a good compromise between noise reduction and subject motion. This gives me an unique and flexible option in unpredictable situations.

Most of the times my rare use of this technique was limited to hand held, low light situations and teles. That's probably why I clearly noted the RS issue and you don't, on your tripod mounted shots!

• Looks great man! Really solid shots there. One of the more creative GH2 videos i've ever seen

• @duartix If you notice the movement in most of the shots are slow, that helps a lot. With fast camera moves, you would need more motion blur, and that´s a problem, since burst mode only allows your shutter speed to go down to 1/40. But we are talking about timelapses, we may "creatively" neglige that. There were a few shots done @ 4MP where we wanted to get the subject with motion blur like 1'48", so we had to increase quality in picture so we could step down the shutter speed.

• @MattRobertson7 Glad you like it. We really appreciate all your feedback, thanks guys!

• @MrEdd: It's not about the shutter speed and motion blur. Now I'm pretty sure you have never observed it and it's most probably limited to that combination of handheld/tele. What happened to me (and it really stands out in a slide show of stills) is that every now and then, one of those 40 frames was skewed. I'm including an example.

I've tested right now and it doesn't happen when the camera is reasonably stable (at least with a 135mm lens mounted). So it's definitely Rolling Shutter and predictable which makes me think the HSS mode is even more usefull than I expected!

P1060984.JPG
    2336 x 1752 - 594K
    P1060985.JPG
    2336 x 1752 - 668K
  • @duartix Sorry, I though you were talking about motion stutter. When you use a timelapser (it depends on the model), even if you are in burst mode, you only get one picture, not 40, and you never got that skew you are referring to, if I got you right this time...

• Yes, that's understandable because my use case was totally opposite from yours. 2 more questions if you don't mind:

Which timelapser do you recommend?

Does the HSS mode provide noticeably better noise/detail/IQ over FullHD?

• the one we use, was a cheap one bought on ebay, and only takes one pic at a time

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Timer-Remote-Control-Shutter-Release-FOR-Panasonic-FZ20-FZ30-FZ50-GH1-GF1-G1-G2-/251058261963?pt=UK_Photography_DigitalCamAccess_RL&hash=item3a743d0fcb

one that we tried and doesn´t work in burst mode is the Pixel, because it keeps shooting

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TIME-LAPSE-remote-release-timer-CANON-EOS-5D-40D-30D-7D-/150826260518?pt=UK_Photography_DigitalCamAccess_RL&hash=item231df21826

if you use HSS, I believe it uses the mechanical shutter, instead of the electric one, and that decreases your gh2 life. If you intend doing a lot of timelapses, that makes your choice easier. For this video we shot around 40k stills!!!

• I really liked that. Double Good.

• @MrEdd Thanks for the recommendations. HSS = High Speed Shutter aka the 4MP @ 40fps mode = electronic shutter.

• @andyharris Thanks!

@duartix the only mode I know that uses the electronic shutter is burst mode, when burst rate is set to SH, and that only outputs jpegs with 1920x1080

• @MrEdd Really Inspired Work that must have taken a phenomenal amount of effort.

• @MrEdd http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicDMCGH2/2 (Under Drive modes: • Continuous SH (40 fps) 4MP or smaller, depending on aspect ratio) That's 2336x1752 @ 4:3 like the same pictures I posted. That is also what I was referring to as HSS.

I was also convinced that the JPEG size was fixed (at 4MP) but after you said you were taking pictures at FullHD resolution I was able to do it too by setting the JPEG resolution lower to 1980x1080. So, that's probably good news for you since you can go a little bit higher on resolution if needed! :)

P.S. I haven't got the camera with me now, so I can't tell you what the numbers are at 16:9.

• @MrEdd Got it! Oddly it's the aspect ratio causing it. Resolutions using the HSS mode are as follows:

• 4:3 - 2336x1752

• 3:2 - 2400x1600

• 16:9 - 1920x1080 (FullHD)

• 1:1 - 1744x1744

Might as well use 3:2 and crop later in post... as you'll still get 2400x1350 which is 25% more resolution.

• @duartix In your previous post, I started wondering if it had anything to do with aspect ratio. Thank you, for confirming, that´s a very very useful hint!!! ... Although we took our share of timelapses for now :)

@Bueller it took, but it was worth it! thanks