Personal View site logo
GH2 -- Hack vs Un-Hacked Firmware Tests
  • 38 Replies sorted by
  • @soundgh2 Personal digs, Groundless and not very professional...

It depends on what emperor your betting on to have cloths.

My tests were conclusive, so if you want to comment intelligently about them, we can all have a good conversation.

In order to comment on my tests intelligently you would have to actually download the file, read the ReadMe file and watch all of the footage.

I don't dispute anyone's test results, my tests were very specific, and the data is the data for my tests only.

The fact is that it has stimulated a great conversation and many helpful views have been presented. I am grateful for everyone that contributed helpful information.

BTW I have not once slammed anyone's tests or opinions here and I think we all deserve the same respect.

• Hey Guys, I'm blown away with the information in this thread. I understand my GH2 Way better than ever before.

And the breakdown of which settings affect the various aspects of our shooting will help me in my next quest, which is to test action scenes.

Thank you all!

• Looking forward to your next round of tests. I think you may see them differently now that you have a little information about what the different settings will and will not do.

• Hi

Yes, because of this journey I have a new insight :-)

My DP is a technical wizard and knows every aspect of the equipment we use at work, so I don't normally have to delve into this stuff, but I was a DP many years ago and also owned a software development business, and an electronics manufacturing business, so I am fascinated by this stuff.

Thanks for all of your support!!

• GREAT POST!!! especially from cbrandin and thepalalias!!! you are awsome! thank you so much! its the first time since i began searching for info about hacks someone actually takes the time to really EXPLAIN things. This topic really deserves a video. thanks everyone!

• Interesting thread. I bought a GH1 when it was first released - found a good stable hack and was quite happy with it. I have however become less and less convinced that these hacks (I have a GH2 now) are all they are all they are made out to be. Sadly most of the 'test' footage I've watched leaves a lot to be desired and it seems folks are too busy testing/debating the 'latest' patches to actually go out and shoot some decent films. Ive got a shoot coming up tommorrow in which I might use the GH2 for slow motion and am seriously considering going back to unhacked as the tests I ran today showed no considerable difference in quality. By the way I have been running a hacked GH2 for about 6 months and today was the first time I went unhacked. Ive also ran into some really weird intermittent issues on hacked GH2 (particularly increased rolling shutter/skew/jello) that Ive noticed in a lot of test videos. Just my two cents (and if anyone can recommend a proven slow motion hack that is heads and shoulders above stock please feel free to share! My mind's not completely closed yet!)

http://www.peacockvisuals.com

• @chad7B et. al - I'm at a loss as to what I can do beyond uploading multiple direct comparisions of real-life subject matter that expose the painfully visible macroblock artifacts produced by the GH2's unhacked firmware. What's even worse is the conclusive proof that the unhacked GH2's image quality is completely unreliable, and may collapse at any time into a coarsely degraded Fallback Mode without any warning or indication whatsoever. In my view, this makes the unhacked GH2 completely unsuitable for any type of semi-pro situation. These claims are fully documented in the following thread:

http://www.personal-view.com./talks/discussion/3337/gh2-flow-motion-v2.02-spans-in-hbr-25p-24h-720p/p1

In all seriousness, if you've used an unhacked GH2 on a paying gig, I'd highly recommend using Stream Parser to verify the quality and integrity of all footage you intend to work with. While this verification cannot be automated in a batch process, there is no other readily available tool I'm aware of that can perform this test.

http://www.personal-view.com./talks/discussion/370/official-streamparser-topic/p1

• @chad78

Ive got a shoot coming up tommorrow in which I might use the GH2 for slow motion and am seriously considering going back to unhacked as the tests I ran today showed no considerable difference in quality.

I've been using Orion for a while now and the 60fps 720p is superb in that patch. Run it, and if you still don't see a difference then... I dunno... just use an iphone or something. I doubt a camera like the GH2 would be any help to your production if the difference between stock 60fps and the hacked patches aren't immediately jumping out at you.

@questech

but I was a DP many years ago and also owned a software development business, and an electronics manufacturing business, so I am fascinated by this stuff.

+1

I've noticed a direct relationship to the technical information I know, to my creative freedom. It's great to learn everything!

• Chad78>" Ive also ran into some really weird intermittent issues on hacked GH2 (particularly increased rolling shutter/skew/jello) that Ive noticed in a lot of test videos."

I think this is a valid observation. While running hacked firmware I've noticed some camera functions such as auto focus, LCD behavior, run slower while the camera is recording, this doesn't happen with unhacked. So it's very likely other processes could be affected when the camera is stressed with a high bitrate hack, maybe some one more knowledgable than me can offer insight into this.

• Cheers for the responses - I think I'll keep the GH2 for family vids and rent cams for paid gigs from here on in (thanks bwhitz I'll try the Orion patch for slow motion). I've had too many weird things happening (particularly rolling shutter after a few hours shooting) on last big paid gig with a hacked GH2. Ive also got a notcieable shift in colour when I hit record which I never had on the GH1. Don't get me wrong I love this little cam and it can get incredible images but it is a little unreliable for me.

• @questech lol easy Kubric was only jesting :p

• Hello First,sorry for my bad englisch. I have try to do my own test,stock vs hacked firmware,because on the most pictures i cant see better quality. To compare flow water under different light,or moving trees and leafs, are very hard to see and find the better picture.So i have "create" my own scene to test picturequality. here my result.stock-sanity5-flow 2.02-cluster5.1

now i can see the better quality,flow2.02 and cluster5.1 looks very good. bye

Unbenannt.png
    1300 x 1000 - 2M
  • Hi all,

I am relatively new to this forum.. Got my gh2, hacked it with Driftwood moon T7 and made a short video with Lumix 14-140mm kit lens.....Pls let me know what you guys think