Personal View site logo
Driftwood Settings, Series 5: Cluster v6 ULTRA RELIABLE, Mysteron, Crossfire, Quantum 9B, Sedna...
  • 1029 Replies sorted by
  • @andyvia1968 Nice... A face only a dog owner can love, lol.

• @thepalalias ahh I see thanks for your help. I think I'll save up the money and buy the 64GB 95Mbs card then as I really like Sedna AQ1 lol

• As of June 16, 2012 ...I've been using the "Sedna Settings" posted back on June 2, 2012. The file I downloaded was "Sedna Q20 Pack.zip". This zip file contained a.ini, b.ini and e.ini. If you open "e.ini" in notepad, then you will see in the comments, at the top, that it is actually the Sedna C settings. I don't know why it is called "e.ini" and not "c.ini", in the *.zip file.

I used Sedna Q20/a for both videos. No enhancements were done ...no sharpening, no color grading ...etc. For all settings and other info ...read the descriptors under each video on YouTube.

TEST VIDEO 1 => (9 sec) very short test footage of dog.

TEST VIDEO 2 => (2:13 min:sec) Local pond test footage.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=PuFvs__tMP4&NR=1

3 screen grabs (below) obtained using "Shift-prtScn" buttons while viewing original *.mts video file in 'Windows Media Player'. Saved screen grabs as *.jpg files at 'maximum' settings in Adobe Photoshop. Hopefully, not too much detail was lost.

Sedna_Q20a_dog.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 881K
    Sedna_Q20a_white_ducks.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 831K
    Sedna_Q20a_goose.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 855K
  • @Zaven13 He corrected the comment - before it said "AQ20" that is what the reference is to. It is correct now. :)

• @Hakosuka If you aren't getting the SanDisk 95MB/s 64GB, you are unlikely to get better stability with those settings. I haven't tested the SanDisk 45MBs 64GB, so you may want to talk to someone else that has. But realistically, if you don't want to spring for the top of the line card, the simplest and most reliable solution is to use a different setting. Try the ones mentioned above and see if they are sufficient for you, but otherwise here is my advice.

Driftwood has a lot of different settings with 720P that differ greatly in their performance. Try a new Cluster or Crossfire setting, or Mysteron and see if your performance improves in that mode. Using 720 in either 50 or 60P with Mysteron, I was able to shoot very high motion martial arts, handheld with a Canon 24-70mm L series lens without incident and without needing the top of the line card.

• @thepalalias, @Kihlian. Sedna Q20 has three versions (A, B, and C). so @kihlian was right about Q20 A. I have used Q20 A and very pleased with it.

• @Kihlian @thepalalias ahh that's reassuring, thanks! Would you recommend a Sandisk Extreme Pro 32Gb 45Mbs or a Sandisk Extreme Pro 32Gb 95Mbs for Sedna AQ1 A? There's also a Sandisk Extreme (Not Pro) 32GB 45Mbs for £25, would that be sufficient in speed?

• @Hakosuka Exactly what Kihlian said, except I think he meant Q20, since Driftwood did not release an AQ20 version. I shot a music video in 720 50P with AQ1 C without a SanDisk 64GB, using slightly slower cards instead. I did not try spanning, but in that moderate detail environment, I did not get any write errors.

• @Hakosuka Sedna AQ1 on 50p with SanDisk 32GB Extreme HD Video 95 MBs no problems. Try Sedna Q20 A not so much difference..

• @hakosuka Have you tried AQ1 C? That one sometimes worked well for me in 720P, depending on the material.

• @driftwood I think the most stable settings for 25HBR and 50p at medium bitrate are Pictoris CBR. I filmed with Pictoris CBR 25HBR at wedding dance-floor one shot full 64GB Sandisk SDXC (45MB) - it was 1hour 52min, my client asked me don't stop because second ENG camcorder was at jib crane. I would like ask you to make some combined settings Pictoris with Sedna matrix or something else for your choice. Thank you for your great work! PS. What advantage for VBR version Pictoris vs CBR? Only for reduce bitrate? I never tried VBR settings if there are were CBR.

• Does anyone use Sedna AQ1 and is able to use 720P without speed errors? If so what card do you use? Getting speed errors with a Sandisk 8GB 95MBs.

• Thanks @driftwood -----New quantum v9b Sedna Adapted Matrix,......video will be uploaded shortly,.....

A2.jpg
    1990 x 1120 - 2M
  • Sedna Crossfires going up later today.

• Very nice Andy

• Where can we download the new Sedna variation of Crossfire? I only see Canis Majoris variations on page 1.

• @thepalalias Thanks for the correction yes "deep DOF" is exactly what I meant

Cheers

• @kidwiththeflu it refers to the film mode/color profile/picture profile settings. The four parameters are contrast, sharpness, saturation and noise reduction (not sure if I get the order of the first two right) and most people online know what you mean when you refer to -2, -2, -2, -2 because it is the only collection of values on the camera that goes from -2 to +2.

@Astro Cool that you are getting good results. I think you mean "it has deep DOF extending to the background" not "no DOF". If it had no DOF, we couldn't read anything in front or in back of the focusing point. :) I am guessing you wanted to emphasize that DOF was not shallow?

@Fritzlimo5 As Driftwood mentioned, I did a lot of testing in that area. The SanDisk 95MB/s 64GB outperforms the 16GB and 32GB versions quite noticeably for the higher performance settings - it also outperforms the Delkin 95MB/s 16GB. For several months, it has been the single most useful card available for the GH2 but that could change in an instant in the future.

• Hi Gotta say the Crossfire settings in 24P are STELLAR!! I was knocked out, the level of detail was stunning. I gave it some demanding tests indoors, close ups, human movement, all types of stuff...WOW!! I love those all I frame settings!! Thanks Nick.

@j_childs I need HBR when I plan to move the camera a lot...I found Cluster4 (G) to be very very good. I used it at 29.97 and it was quite close to many of the 24P settings in terms of quality. Cluster4 (G) retained detail quite nicely and at a very low bit rate... 38mbps (or something) I think Driftwood is on to winner there...I shot many close ups of a highly detailed metallic Dobro and labelled jars in the background and Cluster4 (G) was quite close to 24P quality .

With Cluster4 (G) you could see all the detail on the Dobro and almost read the labels in the background (no DOF), I have found many other HBR settings just seem to fall apart in rendering fine detail and those labels turn to mush. I havent tested Cluster4 (G) outdoors yet...tho, so its not 100% conclusive, but so far its definitely impressive.

• What exactly were the settings the two gentlemen in the Shootout 2012 made "-2, -2, and -2" on the GH2? Are these standard among the GH2 community?

• Any suggestions for HBR using 100-300mm+ ex tele? I'm going to film some birds.

• Thanks! I'll try the Cluster v3 for a while and see which durations I can get on my 16gb cards :)

• I have no probs with spans on all my latest Intra settings on the 64Gb 90MB/s cards plus I did try a 20mb/s HD Video card which spanned to three files... I'll run some tests when I get a moment but the palalias has pretty much covered it. You have to understand, some of the higher quality settings really push the GH2 and its not suprising on certaiin detail you may get a few stopped recordings but at least with some decent duration.

• I ordered a SanDisk 16gb 95mb/s extreme pro because I got some writing errors with my Extreme 30MB/s. But now I read that the 16gb cards are slower than the 32gb and 64gb. Which settings are working on this card? I would really like to get about 30 minutes of movie on it, but it doesn't need to spann.

I would really appreciate your help! Thank you.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions