Personal View site logo
New Macs from WWDC
  • 100 Replies sorted by
  • Suppose that a Hackintosh is the closest to a license as we are ever going to get from Apple...

• Apparently you can't upgrade the RAM in the Retina display MBP. Bad move by Apple...

• @Preetam: Are you saying the Ram can only be upg through Apple? I'm not even sure if i want to go with an Imac now.

• Thanks for all the recommendations, I think I'll wait a bit and then consider building a hackintosh :)

@Preetam, @pvjames: Well, you either got a thicker and heavier machine with standard parts or you use custom ram modules that aren't easily replaceable. Apple offers both machines, the standard MacBook Pros and the new ones, it's the buyer's decision which one to pick. I don't get why this would be a bad move, it's not like they're killing an option here.

• @pvjames, @Pechente: The RAM is soldered into the board, I hear.

• Adobe CS suite runs faster on Win7 than OSX. Why bother with Hackintosh? To run FCPX on PC hardware? Why?

• Lotsa Logic audio users on here :)

On a side note - was waiting for the new Macbook Airs - any mention of them?

PC hardware is a moot point - i7 is an i7 in a metal Mac case or a plastic fantastic Pc case - as with all the other bits of hardware - a Mac is a Pc and vice versa aside from EFI Bios and disk management, lots of audio stuff mainly exists on the OSX platform - can't stand Pc Pro Tools even though it's the same program - habit I suppose! :) A computer is just a box you shove shit in one end and it pops out the other IMHO - I dont care if its a Vic 20 or a Cray as long as it does what I want.

• @stonebat

Adobe CS suite runs faster on Win7 than OSX.

I've never been able to find a test/benchmark that confirms (or denies) what you said. Do you have a link?

• @rikyxxx I'ts due to the fact that the Windows version is GPU accelerated.

• @Mordae

Mac version is GPU accelerated too (via Open GL 2.0). Premiere and AE can even take advantage of Quadro cards:

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/production/tech-specs.html

• @rikyxxx Ah yes, let me correct. What I meant was the Win version has CUDA support. From what I can tell, my iMac doesn't.

• Isnt CUDA now useable on Macs within Adobe software?

• Sorry to insist but it looks like Adobe suite for mac supports CUDA: http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/08/adobe-premiere-pro-nvidia-cuda-drivers-and-mac-osx-v10-7-lion.html

However we're "digressing"...

• @rikyxxx Google it :)

• @stonebat Who told you I didn't?

On the contrary I did it and I've already told you that.

I've never been able to find a test/benchmark that confirms (or denies) what you said

Prove your point, please.

• I'm as lazy as you are. If you doubt, google it.

• I'm not lazy, I googled it. You didn't.

So the question is: why did you claim something you've no idea about?

We're talking about stuff costing (hard-earned) money to people, let's be serious please.

• I'm a mac user. I googled enough last year about it. Adobe sells more copies to Windows users. Their top priority is Windows users, not Apple users. Of course their hardware acceleration support came first for Windows users.

• CUDA is supported with a Quadro 4000 on a MacPro.

And I can tell you it's pretty fast, but I don't have a comparison.

• See Adobe Flash performance comparison. You'd see why Apple is so mad at Adobe.

• Apple created their own. OpenCL. That really slowed down the things but you know Apple. They wanna steer their own destiny. In comparison, Windows fully embraced CUDA.

• Let's-be-serious.

• Isn't OpenCL bigger than Apple now? I thought that the issues with Cuda was that it was platform dependent (NVidia) and OpenCL wasn't... Now developed by Khronos Group...

• Ok so the Macs support Cuda, but only on some cards? Wonder if the new MBP supports it, because on Windows the whole GTX series supports it.

But then again we can't really compare because of the low amount of Nvidia cards for Macs.

• The new MBP will have Nvidia again, but it's not (yet?) listed by Adobe. The hack may work, though.