Personal View site logo
My reasons for moving away from apple
  • 40 Replies sorted by
  • Hackintosh > MacPro for me - never going to splurge 4k on a Mac tower again

• I felt this way strongly at the release of CS5. But now, i am likely to buy a new IMac (new ones maybe at WWDC) and try FCPX. I feel more confident now that they will keep working and bringing in new tools. The price is the strong point. I wouldn't wait on Mac Pro though. I'm not sold on the Cloud model with Adobe and i'm not impressed with the Suite updates across the board.

• @rikyxxx I think you are missing the point of the article. There are a lot of people who want new Mac Pros but people are upset because there hasn't been an update in 2 years. As a result of this there are a lot of people (17,000 as of me writing this) who have become part of a facebook page asking for info https://www.facebook.com/MacProsPlease .

The problem is that Apple doesn't usually release info on updates until they are about to ship, so we could see a new Mac Pro tomorrow or never.

We have NO information, time doesn't stand still, and people need to make choices for investing in hardware.

My article points out a history of increasing neglect towards the pro market and a trend of increased time between updates. Technology is moving so fast they should be decreasing time between updates to keep up.

You say the information I posted is "bullshit" but it is simply the only information out there. Apple is a secretive company so we are forced to make choices based on rumors. If you think it is better to just wait for Apple to announce something officially then that is fine but you might be waiting a long time. If you choose not to read the post then that is up to you

@subco I don't think they need to release one every 6 months or on any specific schedule really. I do think they need to make updates when new and relevant tech is available. I personally think it is ridiculous that iMacs and Macbook Pros had thunderbolt first, or at least that fw800 is the fastest stock connection on the mac pro. Also people are finding that they need breakout boxes for extra PCI cards. They could have updated the capacity for cards and then hard drives while they were at it. I don't think they should simply be waiting on new processors.

• @subco

My reason for moving away from Apple: I like flexibility when working (and control)

You have the right to use PCs and be 100% happy with them, but let me remind you that Macs are not iphones/ipads: you don't find IOS limitations in osX, that is even posix compliant ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POSIX#Fully_POSIX-compliant ) and has nothing less flexible/controllable than Windows.

• @peterosinski

"As previously reported, the MacBook pro will get an update with a high-res display and thinner body. The MacBook Air will also get a high-res display. It's also possible the Mac Mini or Mac Pro will get an update with faster internals. We are currently unsure whether or not the Mac Pro or Mac mini will be the fourth Mac updated at the conference, but both Macs are due for a refresh, especially the Mac Pro. The Mac Pro has not seen an update in a couple of years, and as Apple’s Pro desktop, has not even seen a refresh with Apple’s next-generation Thunderbolt I/O system."

Give me real Apple announcements, not such bullshits, and maybe I'll go on reading your article.

• "As previously reported, the MacBook pro will get an update with a high-res display and thinner body. The MacBook Air will also get a high-res display. It's also possible the Mac Mini or Mac Pro will get an update with faster internals.

We are currently unsure whether or not the Mac Pro or Mac mini will be the fourth Mac updated at the conference, but both Macs are due for a refresh, especially the Mac Pro. The Mac Pro has not seen an update in a couple of years, and as Apple’s Pro desktop, has not even seen a refresh with Apple’s next-generation Thunderbolt I/O system."

as you can see here @rikyxxx it is said the macbook pro and air WILL get updates and its POSSIBLE (hence I say speculation) that the mac pro or mac mini will get one.

if you read the rest of my article you would have seen that I do not necessarily say the mac pro is finished, only that if it turns out to be finished it would fall into a pattern of behavior by apple. I also say that even if they do release a new one the time between updates has been increasing exponentially and who wants a system that you never know when youd get an update

• I stopped reading at the beginning, after this sentence:

There have been follow up reports such as the one listed here http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-to-update-mac-line-at-wwdc-2012-6 that we might be seeing a mac pro refresh in the near future, but that is speculation at best.

Actually not seeing a mac pro refresh in the near future is speculation.

If you can't tell reality from fiction you shouldn't give advices...

• Let the new apple parody's begin. The oldies but goodies.

• Then you make different machines at different price points.

The fact of the matter is the Mac Pro could have upgraded its internal storage capacity, PCI slots, and stock I/O within the last 2 years.

Ever since davinci resolve was released for Mac people have been trying to find a way to fit the combination of video card/display graphics card/GPU acceleration graphics card/Raid Card/ and in some cases Red Rocket into their system.

• Not sure how much of the Mac Pro languishment can be blamed on Apple as the Intel Sandy-Bridge CPU's have only been released in limited numbers in March. And when available, the lowest price I've found for the processor from a reputable dealer is $2000, which would make a top of the line mac pro around $6500-$7000 in which case people would be bitching about how expensive the Mac Pro's are and how Apple is ripping them off.