Personal View site logo
Panasonic GH2 Footage via Sedna AQ1 C & Voigtlander 17.5mm f/0.95
  • Thank you all for your input on my late test footage. With your help I was able to make some notable adjustments and get much better footage on my actual shoot date this past Sunday in comparison to my test shoot. I will continue to post some screen shots and footage as the editing process progresses as long as there is interest in the topic.

-Ivan

• 23 Replies sorted by
  • Driftwood VY Canis Majoris 'Night' was especially designed for low light. I would give it a test before going on set, Driftwood wrote that it might hang. Then again one hang out of 20 times you hit record might be ok if the quality is really better. http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3056/driftwood-vy-canis-majoris-night-day-pm-skin-tone-soft...-more-to-come/p1

I would take at least some LED panels and some kino flo´s with me (+CTO gels to match with light in there). If you really want to stay "all natural" get some candles with big wick so they burn larger.

• @Meierhans - Thanks for the direction! I'll take a good look at the Driftwood Canis Majoris 'Night' patch today.

• Setting up a few lights wouldn't hurt.

• I agree, about light. not even some lights. How about just ONE light and the entire video would look better. Either fill in some shadows or emphasize the highlights more.

The Hack really wont make a big difference. If you are using Sedna I would stick with that. Canis adds some color to darker setups but its nothing like WOW this takes my bad footage and makes it good. It's more subtle of a change.

• change that plus 2 contrast to minus two if you want any detail in the shadows at all!

• @x_worpig_x & @jpb1138 - I'm working on trying to get more light today. Perhaps just a great number of candles that burn brighter than the ONE candle that lit the entire scene present in my video.

@fohdeesha - You make a fantastic point. I am going to shoot a quick test in the next couple hours with a little more light and -2 contrast.

• Anybody think Sedna A or B would be better than C in low light?

• @ all sednas perform the same in lowlight. Sedna c has slight advantage because it softens the punchy details on objects. do it will look slight less in noise levels.

• @rajamalik - Thanks. I think I'll stick with C on that note.

• Thank you all for your help. I shot yesterday in Sedna AQ1 C and was able to keep the iso at 320, shutter speed at 1/50th, wide open at f/0.95 (which is surprisingly sharp on the new Voigtlander 17.5mm!) - by simply using a lightbulb as fill. Nostalgic -2, 0, 0, -2 seemed to help too. I will be posting transcoded footage shortly if anybody is interested.

• @IvanUskokovic yes post the footage!

• Attached is a still from the footage taken Sunday. Critics and commenters are welcome as I continue on with my editing process.

Promise_Still1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 292K
  • @IvanUskokovic

It may be just your jpeg, but it seems at first look that with a room that dark there's got to be a black somewhere. The letterbox black bars make for an easy comparison.

So I've done the obvious - just for analysis. (see pic). Even under-exposed as it is, there's still some nice light on the talent it you wanted a darker, impressionistic look with emphasis on the lit portion at the rear of the bar.

As @x_worpig_x says, "Setting up a few lights wouldn't hurt".

a553e436f186eb43aa4035a634ed09retouched.png
    824 x 452 - 250K
  • @Roberto - Not a fan of that "look", at all. Thanks though.

• My 2 cents is that I would have had an eye light for the talent. Just something to help bring out the expression a bit.

• I like the tonality and the textures.

• @rockroadpix - I agree. I wish the same. I was really short handed when it came down to lighting. Last minute I pulled together two lightbulbs and threw them on stands - but it just wasn't enough. I'm now wondering if I'll be able to get away with the footage I have, lacking that stronger light on the talent's face/eyes.

• To me it looks very useable as is. I like the low-contrast low-saturation look. I would not crush the shadows like Robert. If anything I would lift the lower mids a bit.

• I agree, it's not unusable.

• @IvanUskokovic

Not a fan of that "look"

Of course not. It was "just for analysis," as I said, to get a black somewhere. I thought you'd understand. There is plenty I could have done and that you can do to alter the footage in post.

• @Sangye & @rockroadpix - I'll attempt to lift the lower mids.

@Roberto - I understand.

• @IvanUskokovic I would actually really use CM Night for that kind of a shot. The difference is not as subtle are suggesting. CM Night gives much cleaner shadows and detail in that kind of a shot. Sedna still looks good (and great to shoot with) but CM Night is noticeably better.

• @thepalalias - I did not get a chance to flash CM Night yet but I think I will tonight. Again - this Sunday I'll have a second go around at the shoot and if CM Night is that noticeably better: I'll be using it. Thanks for the suggestion and pointing out the aforementioned subtle difference reference. I'd really like it to be THAT much better.