Personal View site logo
James Cameron in China
  • 37 Replies sorted by
  • I have been living in Shanghai for the past 8 years and I can say the moviegoing public (people who actually buy tix) is no where nearly like it is other places. Piracy is one huge thing of course. BUt the idea of buying a movie ticket for 50-100 rmb is an 'expensive' idea for most. My chinese colleagues go crazy when there are free movie tickets or screenings to be had. And it applies to all kinds of entertainment...shows, exhibitions, etc - during the SH World Expo people were hounding me for free passes like buying one would be like taking a 2nd mortgage.

We are currently designing the interior of a Korean cinema chain in 2nd tier China cities at the moment... have a lot more insights and issues I want to get going on this thread, will post more as we move along...

• @brianluce

What took you so long? :-)

We are not talking censorship, we are talking about presenting people their habits, their life and their problems. Under strick control. All this things about "playing with big boys" do not cost a dime.
    Proper way is exactly opposite, protect your people, develop your own infrastructure, artists and approaches, and after this take "open" market of others ( in America nothing like "open cinema market" exist, all filtering is done via major studios, distributors and cinema networks, nothing random or unnecessary can pass this).

• Let the market decide. You guys are essentially talking censorship. Americans make the best movies, let the Chinese play with the big boys -- that's if you want China to ever produce anything worthwhile. Limiting the market will only insure that there are a lot of lousy Chinese movies.

• I'm with VK. If they don't set limits, chances are it'll be all Americanized crap before long.

If it isn't already.

• @Oedipax, I wish the stuff in America was still Americanized crap. It's all Chinesed crap now. ( /sarcasm)

• I'm with VK. If they don't set limits, chances are it'll be all Americanized crap before long.

• @vitaly_kiselev I think that's a perfectly reasonable, valid POV (albeit not one I share) as long as you recognize that you're taking some degree of self-determination out of the hands of individuals and putting that power in the hands of the state.

Personally, I think that people make fairly mediocre decisions for themselves, but much worse decisions for others. I'd rather that they at least got to determine for themselves how they lived their lives.

• @danabrams

Goverment should decide such global things, not people who pay the money.
    If ordinary people start completely determinate contents of your nearest cinema (and it never exist in any country) it'll be quite bad.

• Who better to decide what they should see than the person paying the money to see it? And if not them, then who decides?

• It is better for Chinese people, as you can see less computer generated fantasy lands and less foreign propaganda. Focus instead at local art and local problems. In capitalism, it cames into conflict with upper class who get money from distribution of foreign films.

• How is it possibly better for the Chinese people to give them fewer movie going choices? Better for Chinese filmmakers, perhaps, but certainly not good for the Chinese people.

• China has a strict limit on the number of foreign films allowed to be shown in theaters here,

I hope that this limit will be set to much lower numbers comparing to present. The lower foreign films, the better. It'll be best for China.