Personal View site logo
GH2 Cake v2.3: reliability and spanning in 720p, HBR, 24p, and VMM at 2-2.5x stock bit rates
  • 609 Replies sorted by
  • @balazer, thank you very much ! I dont know how many different patches, under how many different conditions I've tested.

VK, Driftwood's, Bkmcwd's, Lpowell's, Ralph B's, and all the other busy guys, thank you very much for the good jobs you have done.

Iam happy to be back, relaxed enjoying Cake 2,3 but sorry for buying expensive 95mb/s SD cards.

• @SiNERGi yes there is, driftwood have different ones, but if i am not wrong only for pal.

• Detail in 720p50 for cake is very good, step up from Sanity for sure imo. Cake 720p is impressive, thank you!

• I'm just wondering is their such thing as 720p all intra no p's or b's frames setting available? (Just like the orion one.. all intra but for 720p mode)

• It turns out that sdbest's "bad frame" problem was just corruption of the MTS files on his Mac. He copied them off of the card using a different computer, and they were fine.

• Cake 2.3. Today I did a long term test with my older lexar 16GB professional class10 (quiet a slow card). On the GF2, 720P H-mode it was indicating 59min of video capacity in the beginning. It ended up recording/spanning nearly 2hours of a normal fixed living room day light shot, with people moving in the frame and light changings etc. couldn't really understand/believe it?

• I tried to use the "Attach a file" link but perhaps the MTS file is too big.

• Attached to what? The video on Vimeo? There is no download option for that video.

• @balazer attached is an MTS file with a bad frame. It's near the slate. That you haven't seen the issue before with the GH2 (and I haven't either) raises concerns that it is a SanDisk issue.

It seems the MTS file may not be attached. How do you suggest making an MTS file available?

• Please make an MTS file available. I can't say much from just looking at the video. I've never seen anything like that from the GH2 before.

• Password is "cakeframes"

@balazer the above was shot on Cake 2.2, a day before 2.3 was released. A sample of the bad frames. Thoughts? These bad frames are also on the MTS files.

• You'll have to explain or post samples. MTS files are best. Also, Cake 2.3 is the current version.

• Just shot some screen tests with Cake 2.2. Used SanDisk Extreme 45MB/s 32 GB card. Numerous bad frames. At least one or two in every take. Apart from that excellent images.

Is this a Cake issue or a card issue? Thoughts? Advice?

• Cake 2.3 beta aka 2.3 is stable with GH2 (25p, Sandisk Extreme 30MB/s) and GF2 (50i, Sandisk Extreme Pro 45MB/s). Spanning works on both cameras. I did almost 40 minute test run. Thanks balazer!

• @balazer, thank you for clarification, great and most stable settings.

• No, I won't add B-frames. They help efficiency a bit, but they hurt frame-to-frame consistency. The bit rates I'm targeting are high enough to overcome the loss of efficiency in not using B-frames, but not high enough to minimize the differences between the quantization levels of the B-frames and the other frames in the GH2. B-frames in the GH2 make sense for very high bit rates, like what Golgop uses, and for very low bit rates, like stock, but not in between.

• @balazer, any chance adding B-frames ? It seams like they help with motion, panning.

• Yes, only the name has changed. 2.3 is the same as 2.3 beta 3.

• @gameb Ah - what I meant was that I will update it from the earlier version of Cake I had on my camera. Sorry if that misled!

• @balazer @Mark_the_Harp, "update"??, I understood Cake 2.3 its the same as Cake v2.3 beta 3, balazer just removed the "beta" denomination? Or is it a new one?

• @balazer so its just the name, right? no need to load it again since i have the Cake v2.3 beta 3 on my camera now.

thanks!

• @balazer Thank you for your continuing work on Cake - I will update my GH2 with this new one. I like the way Cake handles! Cheers!

• I am removing the beta designation from Cake v2.3 beta 3.

Cake v2.3

• Improved rate control in 24H

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2123/gh2-cake-v2.3-reliability-and-spanning-in-720p-hbr-24p-and-vmm-at-2-2.5x-stock-bit-rates/p1#Item_2

Version 2.3 improves the quality in 24H mode on high detail, low noise, low motion scenes that push the encoder into fallback mode.

• Used cake 2.2 720p (H) just in the past week for recording my wedding speeches! :) And honeymoon videos at the fiji resort. Handled 30 Minutes / ~15gig of 720p@24p Cinema mode , and fantastic detail capturing of a fijian firedance (Defocused amber/coal sparks look fantastic by the way). If there is any interest I took some short clips I can put up when I get back home too :)

• If it went into sleep mode when you weren't looking, that means there was a write error. The choice of memory card really matters. These days there's no reason not to use a 95 MB/s card.