Personal View site logo
Cheap 27" 2560x1440 monitors based on S-IPS panels
  • 163 Replies sorted by
  • They only run at 60Hz. Everything else is just "cadence-hacked" into 60Hz.

This is very bad.

They are heavy, thick and CCFL uniformity is bad.

Not good.

Anti-gloss is annoying.

Why? Normally on work monitor you must not have glossy screen.

But the good stuff is that they have really wide gamut. I have read reviews for other monitors with identical panel but LED background lightning. Gamut was narrower, ceterus paribus.

For any normal video work wide gamut is bad. As you see not the same thing as you must.
    It can be better looking, but it is same shit.

Regarding S-IPS vs. H-IPS: it's not hard to tell at all.

As far as I remember this guys found that this is caused not so much by H-IPS, but by extra filter, A-TW or something like it.

• my Dell's have their own share of problems:

1. For some reason, they only run at 60Hz internally. Everything else is just "cadence-hacked" into 60Hz. I tried to force it to 50Hz but it starts inserting duplicate frames here and there (not good in PAL-istan).
    2. CCFL power supply buzz.
    3. They are heavy, thick and CCFL uniformity is bad.
    4. Anti-gloss is annoying.

But the good stuff is that they have really wide gamut and do not suffer from "purple haze" when you look at it sideways.

Regarding S-IPS vs. H-IPS: it's not hard to tell at all. You only need to look at the monitor sideways ;) Here are some shots: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031579820&postcount=32

• @Grunf

First, it is hard to tell how H-IPS is better than S-IPS. It also require to check with manufacturer and sellers that this is not H-IPS, in fact (as S-IPS is widely known and H-IPS is just variation).

Second, considering word of cauntion. It is really true that some guys had problems with backlight.
    But my understanding is that this is caused only by power schemes used and electronics.
    Normally panel is supplied with backlight assembled, you can check LG site for 27" panels and later check sellers, they are responsive.

Third. For video work 100% Adobe gamut and factory calibration for this is not good idea. You can also find same wide color gamut panels in this monitors, btw. And you can find either CCFL or LED ones. As you like.

In no way I want to say that they are so problem free as your Dell.

But for many people it can be good solution.

• I have dual Dell U2711's, based on these panels. Edit: I just saw that those cheap monitors use S-IPS panels. While better than TN panels, they are inferior to H-IPS used on Dell U2711's.

Word of caution: while panels might use same LG-panels, colour rendering varies wildly depending on how background light is being done. My Dell's use CFL and are relativly heavy, thick and draw over 100W a piece. But they also display ~ 100% of Adobe gamut and are factory calibrated.

Same panel paired to cheaper LED background light would render less colour gamut. Panel can only filter the light that's there to begin with. As white LED's have substantial dips in colour curve, gamut suffers.

P.S. I find matte finish really annoying and would gladly swap it for glossy finish.

• @B3Guy

As I said, get one with guaranteed zero if you want. :-) Normally on IPS panels bright pixels are quite rare, if they are dead they'll be black.

• . . . which means your odds of getting dead pixels on one of the non-hand-picked ones goes up, because they've pulled good ones to sell for more :-)

• @Alfi666

Spend some time reading about various firms and models first. They also have different stands.

As for dead pixels, most panels will have them due to very high pixel count. But sellers have hand selected zero dead pixels ones, with higher prices :-).

• :)) right... I checked some comments... seems good... but I think I would be still afraid of bad pixels or DOA... don't know how would I solve that But its maybe worth a risk for that price

• @Alfi666

Unless someone banned you on google you don't need to wait :-)

• I think we will need someone who will test some particular model :)

• About film (search Dell Ultrasharp 27" or Apple CInema 27") -

http://www.photodon.com/p/MXG-5150-01K.html

http://www.nushield.com/order_now.php?__utma=1.842921684.1336136446.1336136446.1336136446.1&__utmb=1&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1336136446.1.1.utmccn%3D(organic)%7Cutmcsr%3Dgoogle%7Cutmctr%3D%7Cutmcmd%3Dorganic&__utmv=-&__utmk=86887833

You can find quickly more producers :-)

As for this monitors - all of them are very glossy.

• As I understand you can always add sticky matte film.

Looking at other, general computer forums, this monitors are highly popular in few last months.

They are different, and some can have issues.

For us it is cruicial to know about clibration, how backlight is adjusted (can be tricky in cheap stuff), etc

• Looks very interesting, my only worry is the reflections because of glass (I prefer matte finish).

Anyone have experience on these?