Personal View site logo
LIST of hacks with average memory usage?
  • This is my first post, thank you to vitaly and driftwood and cbrandin and all the movers and shakers in this gh2 wild west!

I am wondering if there is a list of all the hacks, with each hacks average memory card usage. I think this will really help us in sorting out which hack is best for which situation, and really help those of us who are a little slower in getting HUGE cards for various reasons.

To get it started, I'm using the quantum x orion v4b , and it gives me 27m10s, on a 32gb 95mb/s extreme pro card. How about you all?

Here is a video I did with the patch stated above. Fast Motion, slow motion, and I think the ISO bug got me a bit.

Again, thank you all, keep the dream alive.

• 12 Replies sorted by
  • I've only test a few and can't remember exactly but to the best of my memory:

LPowell Flowmotion 100mb gave around 50-55min on 16gb card

Driftwood SpanmyBitchup around 35min

EOSHD 88mb Unified Intra Patch around 35-40 min

LPowell GH1 100mb Max Latitude 2hr+

Rigs GOP4 GH1 120mb Patch 2hr+ and spanned

All on 16gb cards and that's what I prefer around an hr on a 16gb card.

EDIT: All these spanned. I tried one of the GOP3Zilla(can't remember which), had some nice frame sizes in stream parser compared to Flowmotion but it didn't span so I didn't test it further(I also think it had time limit set but can't remember) All the others I listed did span and gave those times on 16gb Transcend card.

• Still keep a gh1 as "b" cam. Could you point me to Rigs GOP4 GH1 120mb Patch 2hr+ and spanned.

• It's my "modification" of his GOP1 patch. I just changed 1 to 4 ^_^. GOP1 is unstable in very low light or bright sunlight. GOP2-3 is more stable but in certain high detailed scenes it would drop some frames or crash. GOP4 is a good compromise between low GOP and stability. I still consider it somewhat experimental as in I haven't tested it in every scenario, but that's as low as I'd go. Also while it spans, it loses a frame or half a frame in between each span, but it will go just over 30min per 4gb clip.

• @CRFilms Very insightful. Anyone tested the newest driftwood hack for memory?

• The Rigs patch sounds awesome. I've heard of it but have heard so much good about low GOP. but 2hrs...

• @NoiseSoulCinema Are you asking for the estimated time remaining that each patch will show when first loaded? Or are you asking for real world bitrates under different conditions?

I recently posted the bitrates for 18 or so settings for the test footage in the Canis Majoris thread.

• Last weekend i have installed Sanity 4.1 on a SD Extreme Class 10, 16GB @ 30mb/s giving me 31mins.

• Sanity 5 is probably the champ for giving the longest recording time with a high quality picture.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2642/sanity-4-and-5/p1

• Now i have Sanity 5; 53mins 25segs in the SD C10 with 16GB @ 30mb/s

• Agree with @Ralph_B. Sanity is possibly cheaper than stock and pushes IQ to very high levels (at least on static footage): http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/60265#Comment_60265

• I'm filming a ~60 minute (70 minute to be safe) moderately well-lit indoor classical music recital this Sunday, and am looking for the best quality patch that will fit it onto a 64GB 95Mb/s Sandisk card.

The ones that I've tested and know will work are CBrandin's 66M GOP12 AQ2 Max Variation, Sanity 4 / 5, Quantum100 AVC Intra. Of these, which is the highest quality? Are there any others that would work better? Would Sedna B work? Sedna A AQ1 is my standard go-to patch, but it'd only give me 55 minutes.

• @Sangye May 4 check them/it out, all by yourself. Choose what you like best ! ?