Personal View site logo
12mm f/1.6 Noktor
  • 739 Replies sorted by
  • The Olympus starts to be sold used on ebay.. I wanted absolutely to buy a 12mm lens, but now after reading this.. For the money I can buy the panny 14mm (about 140€) and the samyang 7.5mm.. Have a FD 17mm but is not wide enough and F4 %-(

• @fosterchen sorry it didn't work out, get an Olympus maybe, it's even wider and the images I saw look very very nice. What other lenses do you use? EDIT I meant Olympus 9-18, not the 12, although the 12 seems to be the perfect substitute for the SLR magic, but more expensive.

• @stonebat my lens is at least as well built as Samyang 35 or 85. I am being an optimist, so I think that these were typical early issues after taking over a brand name (noktor), looking for a factory to build and setting up a supply chain. I bought it to complement my FDs and I have to say it really exceedes (so far in quick tests) my wildest dreams. The color is practically the same, as well as the build quality. However, this lens has MANY MANY weirdnesses, starting with the odd size and shape, the fact I have to reverse my follow focus (one of the few FFs that will even work with it) as the focus ring is almost at the mount. Look earlier in this thread for the FF issues and which FF works with it (I think it is in special deals as well). The screw on cap is also ridiculous, but that is easily solved. There are wild flares from f1,6 to (at least) f2, which do look nice, but it is something that gets old fast and you don't want to see it all the time. I haven't had a chance to use it on a job yet, and will not have a chance before the 10th, but I have played with it enough to say I am very, very happy. If you are going to buy Samyangs, and want ultimate sharpness and modern look, you probably should not buy this lens. Again, I bought it as it looks like my FDs (a set of 5 which were sifted through at least 30 I bought and sold back on ebay). People are quick to dismiss FDs, and there is a myth on this forum that FDs are cheap. Well, since the FD adapter for RED was released (and even fried a few Epics and Scarlets :) the FDs have freaking expensive online. Also, even with the most advanced hacks (and ever) the GH2 can't and will never be able to resolve the full output of the good FDs. I am not only talking about resolution, but especially the heavy bokeh of the FDs brings the GH2 to its knees and all there is is a lot of banding. So, I am keeping mine. Especially if I get the BMC and the Samyangs :) I am also planning to collect a Samyang set, as those lenses are just unbeliveably good. If you want that look, either get an Olympus 9-18 or Panasonic 7-14 for the wide end. They are sharp, wide, and have all the modern coatings. I wanted to get an Olympus, but decided to get the SLR 12mm simply because I wanted to complete my FD set. For what I NEED it, it was a stupid decision (shooting hotels and convention centers promos where the FDs are never used). My clients prefer the look that is as modern as possible, but I made a selfish decision, and if the 12mm fails to shine here, there is always Panny 14-45. Back on topic, this lens is surely not for everyone, and I could not really recommend it to anyone before they try (unlikely with such availability). But it really does everything it says on the tin-constant aperture, creamy focus (well it is new) and great image. Sorry for such a long post, but as many people will have many different questions, I just tried to cover what I thought was relevant. Finally, an advice if I may; I figured if the end of the World is coming in a flood, I might as well chain myself to all those peli cases where my lenses are :)

• Do you want a replacement or full refund?

• Lens will be returned to Adorama. End of story.

• Flare looks nice and at about T1.8 the lens flares very rarely.

• Obviously SLR Magic ain't Samyang or Cosina for the excellent build quality. But are you guys happy with the images from the lens? How's flare at max aperture?

• @butler360 Like it states, it is only to see if there's someone who really wanted the lens but missed out on the latest stock. And if that someone is willing or able to permanently fix this manufacturing problem, something that as it seems SLR Magic has not. Don't get me wrong, this is still a high quality lens, and if it had the track record of lens elements falling out all the time, it wouldn't be out of stock all the time.

Thanks @Vitaliy_Kiselev for the communications help w/ SLR Magic. I have emailed them so hopefully they will taking this matter as swiftly as I have read here from other users.

• My lens is very good as well. The loose mount issue has obviously been sorted. The screw-in lens cap is annoying, but I have put a step up ring so I can use my 77mm vari ND, so I have a generic 77mm cap on it now-much better! I also hope they sort their manufacturing and supply chain, as this is a very high quality product, which is still unfortunately quite hard to come by.

• Well, having waited 4+ months for my lens I can say that the lens itself is OK. Nice aperture function, annoying lens cap.. A case / bag (even if very simple) would not have been too much to ask for IMO. SLR Magic have some serious issues with their manufacturing and unless they sort things out I can't see them being successful in the long run.

I'd be hesitant to order a lens of theirs again. (second hand might be a different matter).

• this is bad PR for SLR Magic... why not contact them and try to get a replacement? or at least get a refund from Adorama

• @fosterchen

LOL, I saw your eBay auction earlier. For only $50 more than retail you too can own a broken version of the SLR Magic 12MM!

• Just ask them for a free shipping label. Print out the return form and specify whether you want a full refund or an exchange.

• Here are a couple shots of the lens and what came apart. That ring I'm holding does have an inside thread, but I tried screwing it back on and it would not tighten, but loosen again after 3 or 4 turns. I've already contacted Adorama about this, just waiting for their reply... Unless someone really needs/wants this lens now and would like to pay full price to fix it up themselves, you can Paypal me $550 plus shipping.
    Haha..no really.

DSC02936.JPG
    1600 x 1200 - 900K
    DSC02937.JPG
    1600 x 1200 - 925K
  • @fosterchen

Oh man, that sounds horrible. I would not take that well at all.

As I recall, people were complaining about the lens mount being slightly loose. Has this issue been resolved with latest batches?

• @fosterchen

Can you make a picture? :-)

I am sure it is easy to put back and screw it on.

• I just lost faith in SLR Magic...My lens arrived today and it totally came apart as I was taking off the lens cap. The rear glass element just fell right out!
    This was also my first order with Adorama, and it might just be the last! Anyone have horror stories like this?

• avcamera.com, a popular camera store in Bangkok, Thailand have this in stock for 15,500 THB. And 50mm f/0.95 for 22,000 THB only, which is much cheaper than noktor website. I saw these price in his facebook page, don't know he ship the items overseas or not but this worth contact for whom interested. He also the distributor of Voightlander in Thailand, his NOKTON price may be cheaper than shop in US.

• Mine arrived today as well. Can't wait to give it a shot tomorrow!

• my lens arrived too wohoo!

• My lens arrived this morning. Looks great, wish I had it last week, but well.

• it doesn't works with wide angle..

• Has anyone tried a Canon wide angle lens (or any other brand) on this for an even wider shot? Since the front thread is 58mm, I'm thinking it might work with the popular WD58 of the GL-2 days... My Hyperprime should be arriving next week, so if nobody responds, I'll test and post results.

• Konijnenberg says in stock now! Hope they make good on their promises.