Personal View site logo
Official Low GOP topic, series 5
  • 751 Replies sorted by
  • @Bkmcwd For SEDNA matrix, i speak only for PAL support, HBR 25p, FSH 50i... 24p mode is a killer on GH2!!! But i live and work in a Pal country ;-(

• @herbycamer

I got it. :-) Thanks.

• This is my test with bkmcwd GOLGOP3-13_SednaAQ1C_V2.1_BETA2 The lens was pretty heavily filtrated and some grading was done for my personal need XD, I like the results !

the password is "pastispast"

• @LPowell @bkmcwd

okay, I've go it ... makes sense!

I am still experimenting to gain a better distribution of I- and B-Frames in HBR mode... FB2 and Frame Limits are not yet touched in Natural, GOP3ZILLA and GOLGOP. In Flowmotion the ratio of Bitrate, Frame Limit and FB2 works nicely in HBR mode. My only issue with Flowmotion is the pretty corase noise pattern and quite often it seems to run in fallback mode (footage looks soft). Scenes that do not require to utilze max bitrate look very good, though...

• @towi I'm into the final testing phase on Flow Motion v2.0 and plan on releasing it soon. I expect you'll see a number of improvements, particularly in HBR mode.

• cooool! :-) looking forward to testing it!

• GOLGOP3-13_SednaAQ1C_V2.1_BETA2 (Stairwell test .png). Cinema 24p at ISO 3200, SS25, f4.0, Vivid -2-1-1-2. Good enough for low light (ISO 3200). I still want HBR30p (with sound) that can give a similar level of detail at 30fps. Cinema 24p StreamParser and screen grab attached.

StreamParser.png
    1443 x 807 - 513K
    Stairwell 1_GOLGOP3-13_SednaAQ1C_V2.1_BETA2 .png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • @chromekoda

Thanks always! :-)

@towi

I am also improving GOP tables now. I think that the PAL is easier than NTSC. It is because the frame rate is low. I also want you to test them.

@Bonzai

Thanks mate. Looks nice! :-)

"I still want HBR30p (with sound) that can give a similar level of detail at 30fps."

This is very difficult. However, I try hard from now on.

• Hello guy. @ bkmcwd, towi, Lpowell, Driftwood, VK... A stupid question maybe, but do you think that IQ could be more improved if patchs are done for each mode particulary. ( a Patch 1080HBR25, a patch 1080HBR30, a patch 720p50, a patch 720p60......). I think patch 24p is already done!! ;-) Because it seems that in all this giant work, you spent lot of energy to make some setting working well togheter and to find compromise. Maybe my question is stupid, or it's simply a fu**ing work to do... or maybe that's what you are already doing!!! (Or maybe the 3 answers!!!) i don't know...

Thanks (mainly if you inderstand my english)

• OK. i have had an early weekend so i decided to do a final test between my 2 favourite settings from here: GOP3ZILLA-SednaAQ1C and GOLGOP3-13 with the stock Matrix.

i realy couldnt tell the difference between the two in any of the few test setups i shot. the only difference and surprise was that the GOP3Zilla-Sedna uses up a lot more data then GOLGOP3 for the identical setup.

looking at the results in Streamparser i also saw that the GOLGOP3 was a lot more consistent with QP always at 13 with a maximum Range of 5 and DC always at 3-4. also the I frames were huge in GOLGOP3 and the B frames relatively small.

GOP3Zilla-Sedna however seemed a bit all over the place with QP mostly in the mid 20s and DC between 6-8. the I and B frame sizes were much closer together.

i am no expert at all with Streamparser but am i right to think that the GOLGOP3-Stock Matrix would be a safer bet and more consistent judging by the Streamparser results?

as i said i couldnt tell much if any difference beween the different settings judging purely by eye.

any help would be much appreciated.

• @herbycamer, there is some interaction between settings for the different video modes. The settings don't change the video modes but instead change the tables and parameters used by the AVCHD codec. It seems most settings authors want to optimize all the video modes (and that is probably what most users expect) but where there is interaction they have to choose which mode get's priority. 24H, due to the lower frame rate, can be optimized better than any other because there is an upper limit on the bit rate within the camera.

In theory a patch can target a specific video mode for maximum quality, but that's likely to cause negative results for the other modes unless you balance it. You can't patch one mode, then patch another, then another... they aren't fully isolated.

If there was a separate patch maximizing to the extreme any particular mode (say, an HBR30 patch, or an SH 720p/60 fps mode patch) you'd probably need to flash your firmware every time you wanted to shoot a different mode. Unless you had a few GH2 cameras laying around, or you were only going to stay in one mode for a long time, that wouldn't be practical.

• Hello @Bmcent1. Thanks for the answer. I know different mode aren't fully isolated, i don't want to say switch off all the others mode but make a patch who optimize a particular mode without compromise, and make all other as good as they can be. I change far more often of situation and scene than i change my recording format. I think that i'm not the only one. I shot always HBR25p or sometimes FSH50i... my 720p50 is only for very specific work.

Thanks

• @Towi. I am getting confuse now. Between your updates and bkmcwd's I don't know any more which one are the best in your opinion for 1980i50 among the different GOLGOP and GOP3ZILLA. I tested GOP3ZILLA v2.11 lately and loved it. Thanks to you both (bkmcwd & Towi) but also to Vitaliy, CBrandin thepalalias and all the other hard working and generous contributors. I wish I could help, but I'm new to video and don't even have yet a computer who can handle cs5 (next 2~3 month), but I need the best pal setting possible and giving at least 15 minutes for a sandisk extreme 30MB/s. BTW Gop3zilla v2.11 spanned and gave me over 35'. Thanks a million.

• @herbycamer

I think that there are various ideas. Although I give priority to 24p, I think so that the best result also in other modes can be obtained on it. In FSH, HBR, or SH, since the capacity of GH2 is lower than 24p, it is difficult, but while trying many settings, there are some which are understood little by little. :-)

@Siddho

"am i right to think that the GOLGOP3-Stock Matrix would be a safer bet and more consistent judging by the Streamparser results?"

If you do not care about a codec wavering slightly on the finest details scene, I also think so. In Intra settings using low Q value, the codec waver more. Supposing it is satisfactory ... I think that I can recognize the grade whose codec wavers in GOLGOP3-13 to be satisfactory at all.

@oronce

Thanks for testing my settings! :-)

"which one are the best in your opinion for 1980i50 among the different GOLGOP and GOP3ZILLA"

Although the settings former almost same except 24p has been used, I am going to change a few from now on.

• @towi Have you done any more with your gop6, I think span 50 v1.2.
    I thought you were on to something there.

• @Towi I agree with @jfro. I think it is close to a balance point of Q vs. filesize. trying span50 v1.2 for couple of days.

• @bkmcwd: I'm a real fan of your settings, both GOLGOP and GOP3ZILLA are very, very good! Thank you for creating those amazing settings!!! I have 2 questions, though: 1. is it normal that the first group of pictures in every MTS I shot has 4, not 3 frames? The visual quality of the few first frames is quite affected (because of this, I assume). 2. is GOLGOP intended (in theory at, least) to always provide slightly higher output quality than GOP3ZILLA, i.e. is it simply the higher bitrate version of the GOP3ZILLA or the difference is deeper?

Thanks again!

• @kovtun66

Thanks for using my settings! :-)

"is it normal that the first group of pictures in every MTS I shot has 4, not 3 frames? The visual quality of the few first frames is quite affected (because of this, I assume)."

Yes it is. In almost all my settings, although the frames are not stabilized first about 1 second, it operates normally after that.

"is GOLGOP intended (in theory at, least) to always provide slightly higher output quality than GOP3ZILLA, i.e. is it simply the higher bitrate version of the GOP3ZILLA or the difference is deeper?"

I have designed GOLGOP3-13 series so that the codec may work also in a bright place as normally as possible, using low qp under lowlight positively. GOP3ZILLA series is designed so that it may be the all-round setting which realizes high IQ in any scenes. Naturally GOLGOP3-13 which tries to use low qp agressively becomes the higher bit rate.

I think that I will explain the difference in each setting of mine in my topic from now on. http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2960/golgop3-13-gop3zilla-natural-welcome-to-gop3-heaven-#Item_28

• Hey Guys,

Wanted to share this video with the community. A journey to Haiti to build an orphanage - shot entirely using Driftwood's Quantum 9b. Most footage taken in 720/60p mode, conformed to 24p. Big thanks to Vitaliy Kiselev & Nick Driftwood for their countless hours to make the GH2 what it is today.

-Matt

• @ishvar

Thanks for feedback, mate! :-)

Please also try the latest version. http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/58460#Comment_58460

• This might be just in my camera but, when using bkmcwd GOLGOP3-13_SednaAQ1C_V2.1_BETA2, the camera freezed this week few times totally during the long interviews fisrt time somewhere at 10 minutes running time ... and I was not able to see the clip in the camera. It was in the card, I can see the clip now with my mac with vlc but FCP log&transfer does not recognise the clip nor 5dtorgb. Other clips that were on the card and finished by stopping the camera normally were ok... I was using Sandisk 16GB 30MB/s class10 cards. What do you think BKMCWD , it is easy for me to change the gop to 6 by myself is there other , better ways to make the stream lighter ? I am shooting PAL

• @chromekoda

Since I do not assume use with cards other than SanDisk 95MB/s SDXC in GOLGOP3-13_Sedna, honestly, I am not sure. However, although I cannot carry out detailed verification to right now, I can suggest a remedy.

How about changing the GOP table of 50i as follows, supposing the trouble occurs in 25p?

From

1080i50 GOP Table=1, 4, 4, 1, 19, 19

to

1080i50 GOP Table=1, 4, 4, 1, 22, 22

or

1080i50 GOP Table=1, 4, 4, 1, 25, 25

I think that it does not become solution to change into 6GOP as it is.

• bkmcwd Thanks , I really appreciate your work and answer !!!!

• @fontee Some really great work there brother on every front.