Personal View site logo
Peter Jackson Shares New Video From The Hobbit Set
  • 68 Replies sorted by
  • yes it is. lets say its subjective. the whole art thing is overrated.......a 3D film about or lifelong research/body of work of an artist and creator that has touched many(not millions maybe, but thousands for sure) or a epic tale about dwarfs running around in incredibly beautiful(actually more so without them) landscapes and nature views( there is national geographic and is more convincing and educational) saying nothing. these people are not morons, its obvious that they are ultra professional of course, as a part of an industry, where "mistakes" are not allowed, but there is a very fine line between art and craft. which again is subjective. and these kind of productions kill anything else around creating new visions of what is cool, right, and moving the "market of images" in the most superficial plate possible...for millions of people. and (ab)using technologies without saying nothing is all too often theses days...

• @No_SuRReNDeR i have no issues with the MODERN frame rate but the content of these frames...double nothingness... ; )

• @luxis Lol --- I totally get your point...I am a good film treasure hunter myself and often think productions like this swallow up the real gems..the really good stories..... but still my inner 12yr old is just so damn exited to see this one that I find this inner struggle to be futile.

On another side note....

Also I noticed they used allot of "sets" for the woods etc....this I take issue with, fake woods even creepy ones still look fake granted the controll factor...but Its damn shame if you ask me.

• Here's the latest: a 10 minute screening of Hobbit footage at 48 fps.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/122/1223523p1.html

• Yes, technically superb - but no heart and soul for me. Even reading the books and seeing the cartoons as a kid, and playing D&D. I guess there is a limit for my fanboism. But my criticism especially for the previous trilogy was that the damn things were too long - I remember sitting through the Return Of The King, and it was going on at least 45-60 minutes longer than it should.

• Key thing about child reading is to be near and talk about it, explain things.
    Whole current trend is to make some ready to consume product instead, so people stop thinking much.

• Btw, guys who watched Warner preview say that it is quite far from original book.

• thinking is futile,thinking is number one enemy,it should be substituted with a ready to consume products and formulas of no taste and identical ,if possible, advanced vision...just watch the movie and leave me alone "kid"... :\

• I personally loved these books as kid and also the Sword of Shannara series, which I'm surprised was never even made into an animated film at least. I'm the type of person who can watch a movie I love over and over, but I find myself hesitant about putting in LOTR movies because they drag on and on too much...what might be even more entertaining than the movie is the whole 24fps vs 48fps debate.

• Here's another opinion. http://movies.ign.com/articles/122/1223523p1.html

Warner Bros. screened roughly 10 minutes of footage from The Hobbit today at their CinemaCon presentation in Las Vegas. The footage was projected in 3D at 48 frames per second for theater owners and press attending the conference.

A taped intro from director Peter Jackson preceded the footage. There is no honest discussion that can be had about this Hobbit footage without emphasizing the 48fps presentation. The film was shot this way and will be digitally projected this way, as well as presented in 3D. So what does 48fps movie footage look like as opposed to your usual 24fps theatrical movie experience? In this reporter's opinion, it looks like live television or hi-def video. And it didn't look particularly good. Yes, this is shocking, but I was actually let down by the Hobbit footage, as were a number of the other journalists that I spoke with afterward. (snip)

• @brianluce

I heard same thing from other sources. TV like footage.
    People are now so accustomed to this 24p thing that they do not really like 50p or 60p.

• The Hobbit is one of the greatest children's books ever written. Many consider it one of their favorites.

Granted kids don't read that much anymore but I don't see anything wrong with them making a movie out of such a great story.

Funnily, I was not a big fan of Lord of the Rings trilogy and also thought the movies were basically pretty boring despite their virtues. Maybe this will be good. Maybe not. It is no doubt a difficult book to adapt given its length and complexity but should be easier to do as it is a tighter story than LOTR.

• Btw, to expirience almost same thing all you need is good modern 3D TV.
    At least mine allow to turn frame interpolation for 3D also. It won't make frames as sharp as original 48p footage, but it brings the feeling :-)

• I guess Peter Jackson has reached the “uncanny valley” of digital cinema.

• shame that 48fps sounds like a step backwards, is that likely to be due to faster shutter speeds and less motion blur ?

• Hyper-real is not always better.

• Im guessing the reason for 48p was to reduce the tearing or blur that you get from current 3d films. Worse in darker scenes...unfortunately from reading the opinions this seems to be a failure. All I know is after watching the trailer for Hobbit on my HD tv it looked like a tv movie...something was off visually. Too clean. Especially in comparison to LOTR.

Jackson used to be my hero (He grafted his ass to get where he is) but the guy clearly has gone the way of Lucas...and dare I say.. Spielberg!

Too much has become about 3D and throwing money into it. To me it is a gimmick to try desperately to get people in the cinema when really its the overpriced ticket sales,endless piss poor remakes and 20-25 minutes of adverts before the damn film starts that's killing it!

If a films good or advertised well people will go see it regardless of it being 3D or not.

John Carter...3D film. advertised poorly. Biggest bomb yet. Its 3D therefore must rake in the cash!

I'm looking forward to Prometheus...I am though unhappy about it being shown ONLY in 3D in my local cinema. I don't enjoy straining my eyes to enjoy a film thanks.

As for fake woods in films. Ridley scotts film Legend is a great example of how to do it right.

As for some of you not liking the Hobbit films or general fantasy films as entertainment.

Cmon! Get your head out of your ass. If you cant go into a film and escape the crap in the world then there's no hope for you.

Id rather see something that took a lot of creative effort mentally and physically to put on the screen than a doc about Penguins,food,health system or how a cunt got into power.

VK Ive got to say it you got bizarre film taste!

You bash the Hobbit movie but like that god awful shitty St Trinians remake! (which was very likely not made by real guys, who are hard working, inventing something, creating something).

There be shallow entertainment for the brainless masses just there!

But hey each to their own! ;-)

• You bash the Hobbit movie but like that god awful shitty St Trinians remake!

:-) I do not bash Hobbit, if you see.
    I just noted completely different things related to the book.
    As for things I like, I just like em. Btw, I like 3D. I know it sin, but I do.

which was very likely not made by real guys, who are hard working, inventing something, creating something

This remark had been about completely different thing :-)

• 48FPS vs 24FPS ...as far as 48fps is concerned....48fps...should be the standard frame rate for modern digital cinema THEATRICAL productions---(In my professional opinion)
    Why you ask?
    Blasphemy you say!!!
    But No Surrender we all love choppy 24fps digital footage you say!!!
    Our footage will look like video at 48 you cry out in a fit of furious anger!!!!!!
    Simple-- the more images to hit your eyeballs in a second, the smoother the image will look. The film look comes from proper lighting technique, camera work, color work, editing technique ....BARELY is it from 24fps as you have been led to believe since the Dvx100 came out...I say "barely" because, yes our brains are slightly tuned into this frame rate since its been shoved down our film watching throats all of our lives...however 24fps is an ANTIQUATED standard based on old tech and cost efficency...
    I for one will be avoiding in the future if I can.

Oh and I too I'm totally looking forward to Prometheus.... It just looks dope.

• Hated LOTR Love Game of Thrones Cinema evokes psychological reactions in the viewer. I think we'll learn something interesting about that from these experiments in frame rate and 3d.

• Spielberg never lost his edge. Lucas did. Modern obsession - Replacing depth in story with bigger numbers

• @No_SuRReNDeR

"Simple-- the more images to hit your eyeballs in a second, the smoother the image will look. "

Where's the proof that a smoother image is better, more effective, or more evocative, for a work of what's supposed to be imagination?

This is like claiming that the best painting is photo-realistic. Most people don't go to the cinema to see something that looks like real life.

• @jrd You could argue old films hand cranked at 15/18fps are better because they have an artistic artisan feel or that 29.97 camcorder videos have a gritty realistic look so they are better....But that's all subjective....I'm not arguing that. I simply believe the "standard" for digital film making needs to evolve. I'm making films in 2012 and beyond not 1922....So personally...my view...(pun intended) is that 48fps IS better. The "proof" will be in the pudding when this eventually becomes a norm.

• Guys, let's not to turn this all into 48p flame.

• Well, I like 'The Hobbit' and loved the Peter Jackson LOTR saga.

The Beeb review included both good and bad opinions of 48fps footage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17836380#