Personal View site logo
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • @Mike_C

Wonderful footage! The Vimeo compression was pretty heavy, but through it, I could see the detail was all there. Those scenes were a real acid test for Sanity. Thanks for posting.

• Are you guys having better luck with playback for Sanity 5?

• yesterday I loaded sanity 5 over sedna Q20 A and IQ is very satisfiying with smaller size files. after converting them to prores 422, it is a little harder than sedna to CC and grade the footage. needs more experimentation I guess. Thank you Ralph_B, this is a big improvement.

• I must say I really appreciate these Sanity v5 settings (kudos to you Ralph!) I shot a 13 minute hiking video near a waterfall and dense foliage (720p50). I'm really impressed. Here is the video should anyone be interested.

There is some mild color correction done in Premiere (I'm a "GHearHead" (; @shian) but since my workflow is in Premiere Pro CS5 and not FC, I'm still having problems with exporting to AE.

--Mike

• @mo7ies well, last week I set up an intersection, locked the camera down and shot 3 minutes each of Sanity 4.1, 5 and Mysteron, changing nothing but the cards with the different patches......damned if I can see any difference!

• We are not talking bokeh here, you know :) - there must be the way to measure the quality of each hack objectively?

• @mo7ies You'll get a lot of opinions on that, mostly because everyone has a different need. IMO...the patches are now so good, it's almost impossible to look at two and see much difference. The differences are much more subtle... how fine is the noise, how do certain settings handle motion, how well does a setting accept color correction/grading. The criteria is endless and depends on what you do. Toss in reliability, spanning and file size, it gets confusing.

• Can someone suggest an objective way to compare visual quality of the hacks?

• @RandyCatanach

Neither Sanity 4.1 or 5 produce write errors (assuming you use a proper card). Version 5 has a lower bitrate for 24H because that's all it needs to produce the same quality picture as 4.1. 5 runs more efficiently - you get more miles per gallon :)

• @mo7ies you know, i'm not really sure which version I've been using actually. I started using it around the time ptool got updated for the 1.1 update so I think maybe sanity v3.x. Maybe even v2.x actually. I usually use HBR or SH modes and occasionally use 24H or 24L.

@Ralph_B I just updated to 4.1 a couple days ago but I haven't been able to test it out yet because I've been sick. I noticed that v5 has a lower bitrate for HBR or 24H (I forget which). Is that only to stop write errors or is there another reason? Thanks.

• @moondoggy

An empty 16GB card should show 53m 26s in 24H mode. I suggest you try again. In ptools, load the settings and then save the firmware. Don't do anything else. Also, I assume you haven't altered the ini file in a text editor (because you shouldn't).

• Noob here. I finally took the plunge and hacked my camera... I think. I installed Sanity 5 and with 24H I'm getting 1:07 minutes of recording time on a 8GB card, and 2:45 on a 16gb. Those times tell me that the hack may not have stuck, or that it's still on 1.1 for some reason.

Are these recording times consistent with Sanity 5 and 24H, or what did I miss something during the hacking procedure?

I greatly appreciate any help

• Some footage with Sanity 4.1 1080i. Color corrected

• @RandyCatanach - which version of Sanity do you use, and in which recording mode? Thanks.

• @Ralph_B just letting you know, i really appreciate your work with this patch. i mostly film skateboarding so write errors are my biggest enemy! haven't gotten a single write error while using sanity yet!

• @tjnavyblue "My take is that if you need to see large file size/bandwidth to feel like you're getting good IQ then there's a host of high bitrate hacks out there just waiting to fill up your HD."

I couldn't have said it better.

• Ralph_B said: "Visually, Sanity 4 and 5 look pretty much the same"

Is there a scientific way to gauge the differences in quality between the hacks?

• My take is that if you need to see large file size/bandwidth to feel like you're getting good IQ then there's a host of high bitrate hacks out there just waiting to fill up your HD. And they look great.

I've done two shoots now mixing S5 GH2 and 5D, and my eye prefers S5 24H over 5D footage in most instances, and my processor prefers it too. 5D is a fair yardstick for a $650 camera I'd say. But that's all just IMHO.

• Yeah, I don't know either. The electrical connections might spoil it. The only way to find out is to test.

• I have Olympus Zuiko 14-35mm f2 (yeah baby! :)

Does it span with it? It is not native M43 - I use it with adapter, but it does have full electronic connection. So not sure if it falls under the "third party manual lens" category or not.

• @mo7ies As I said in the notes, Sanity 5 will span in 30P, but only if you use a third party manual lens and don't go higher than ISO 3200. Actually, Sanity 4.1 might also span in 30P with this arrangement. I never tested it.

• I see. Someone made a comment that v5's bandwidth seems too low, so I was afraid to try the new version thinking is could be unproven yet :)

I have v4.1 span in 1080p24H (and 24L) mode for me, but not in 1080p30. (That's on 64Gb 90MB/s SDHC SanDisk). Do you think v5 will span in 1080p30??

• @mo7ies Visually, Sanity 4 and 5 look pretty much the same. In fact, in a blind test, I doubt I could tell them apart. The biggest difference is 24H mode. In 4 it requires a bitrate of 66m to reach what I would call 'ultimate quality'. In 5, a bitrate of 38m will get you to the same quality. So 5 is more efficient. You'll save on disk space.

• @arvidtp, it's not the CPU or memory issue. Perfmon in Windows XP indicate the disk being the bottleneck; the long disk queue suggests the drive is slow. However, editing from the same disk drive with a GOP1 hack does not give me as much problem as editing non-GOP1 hack clips. A GOP1 hack even has higher bitrate and yet the stuttering is acceptable for me. I know that GOP1 hack has all I frames vs non-GOP1 has other types of frames. How can this make so much difference?

@Ralph_B, you should know that I not only use Sanity but I love it. Will try out S5 next. Thanks for the great work.

• @Ralph_B Sanity 4.1 here, looking good. Any reason I should go for v5 ?