Personal View site logo
BlackMagic: Official $2,995 raw cinema camera topic
  • 1156 Replies sorted by
  • Am I the only one that would like to know if the BMDCC is able to be used for 'synced' 3D??? (Hopefully we can sync with Thunderbolt...) I can dream...

• @alcomposer .. I too hope that. In theory it will work with the existing LANC systems, I had not thought about thunderbolt :)

• @alcomposer Quality in audio won't be good until we get away from PCM audio. DSD is an example of something that could have been great by sony controlled it too much. PCM has been used for way way too long now. It first popularized in 1979. I'd love to see audio with 100 times the density of 24bit, 48k being used; at least in acquisition and editing stages.

• @liquidify

LOL What is wrong with audio, and with PCM especially?

• Current digital audio capabilities are so, so far beyond similar camera capabilities. Dynamic range, workflow, compatibility, converters, processing, etc. Even at comic low entry price points.

I just got home. I had the opportunity to spend several hours at NAB with the BMD players. It's a serious camera, with very smart thinking. And exciting future products to be built beyond this initial entry. They pulled from the best and smartest inside the different devisions of their own company, as well as top partners. It's definitely the biggest news in cameras in the last five years. Sometimes you just need an outsider to come in and slap the competition. BMD is a smart and passionate group. They don't make many mistakes. Congrats!

• @liquidify yeah exactly what would be the point of 2,400 bit? Most people can't even tell the difference between 16 and 24-bit, 48k and 96k, especially when the monitoring, converter and clock are top notch. I'd say we've reached the pinnacle of audio for consumer use.

There are a few areas of playback that might benefit from higher sampling rates and bit depths (mainly scientific, and reference testing), but when 95% of users are listening to audio (usually highly compressed) through laptops, pc speakers, or earbuds, what more do you need? @alcomposer has it right that the audio industry is primarily going for that 'magic' or intangible quality, because there's little else that they can improve from the hardware side, aside from ergonomics, size, and price. Software is still constantly improving and that will be a little while before most audio hardware can be replaced.

Video will probably follow a similar course, but we're still in the infant stages of consumer RAW and RAW workflow. But give it a few years and these systems will be very elegant, affordable, and accesible. Again, your grandparents will have access to a RAW video workflow in their nice $600 dollar point and shoot... give it time.

• If you look at KineRAW S8 it really reminds me of super8, but then sharper (still not sharp!). If you compare that with audio, it's like recording to tape. UA has some great tape emulation plugins, but i still prefer the real deal, because emulations are cool but still only emulations. I think your analysis on audio gear is spot on.

• Great!!! times... BMCC in my opinion is really revolutionary for having enough Balls to do what the big corporations didn't want to do, by putting out a high end Digital Cinema Camera for the masses. I welcome the Uncompress 12bit workflow any day. Think about that my fellow cinematographers... we now have the ability to grade like the big boys, the only limitation will be your talents that's it. The footage looks soo organic, the DR forget about it. To my eyes the closes to the Arri Alexa & Red Epic, but leaning more towards the Alexa. Reading through some forums I don't see why people are complaining really!!!! internal battery so what!!! buy and external battery to charge it just like the big Daws do, no HDMI so what!!! no XLR so what!!! professionals record on external recorders, not a S35 sensor so what!!! we've been getting nice DOF on M4/3 movies don't really use that much DOF anyways, Jello effect so what!!! RED, Sony, ect.. all have that effect to a certain degree. Who is really gonna be panning their camera that fast on a shoot anyways. Guy's $3000 for the specs, and images that we've been dreaming about for years....& to top it off with bonuses Full Davinci Resolve 9 / Scope WOW!!!!!! The 5D Mark II was an accident 3years ago, BMCC is an intentional accident to put the power back in to creative hands... Hope I didn't offend anybody but that's just my 2cent.

• The 5D Mark II was an accident 3years ago, BMCC is an intentional accident to put the power back in to creative hands...

Something like it.
    But I think that as idea, BMCC is the move in wrong direction.
    HDSLRs started right movement that is about sinergy. And this is right approach I think.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev You are definitely right HDSLR started the it all, do you project RAW images from HDSLR's in next 6month - 1 year?

• @vitaliy_Kiselev @modernhuman This is a very deep topic.

As a very very basic explanation, you can say that sonic information that is inaudible has a dramatic impact on what is perceived. The most perceptible differences that a person would experience because of PCM would be a lack of spacial or directional information, but these are not the most important aspects of sound that PCM destroys. The more important part of this argument relates to the physical and emotional impact that PCM is unable to translate.

The argument can be made from several technical perspectives using discussions of harmonics, converter technologies, reproduction technologies, and characteristics of PCM in general.

• VK, I think GoPro Cineform are onto something with H264 HBR. If you search the list of GoPro's Venture Capital Partners, there are some powerful alliances there (Disney etc)and more adding all the time. http://www.chubbybrain.com/companies/gopro/investors-funding-history#axzz1sjIZmRMc

• @liquidify, I agree that spacial and directional information, as well as frequencies that are perceived but not necessarily heard, are definitely things that could be hindered by current technology standards... and that future tech could make for a better listening experience. But music and, to a large degree, film and television sound are typically played back on speakers that cost a few bucks. Until people value quality playback, there just isn't any need to go beyond what currently is available.

I've been mixing sound / music for nearly a decade and my monitoring system is over $4k, but I don't believe that even on my setup, one could really perceive the kind of subtle differences you're talking about. Maybe on a $50k-100k monitoring system these kinds of things would become apparent. But there's a certain point where standards of technology and $$$ limit what's truly possible, and it just becomes a game of diminishing return.

I don't think video and RAW workflows have reached that point yet. But once the footage is RAW and we get around 4-8k, how much better are we really going to get... unless we're splitting hairs. I mean film hit a benchmark 50 years ago, that digital is still trying to catch in some areas.

I'm in no way saying that in 50 years there won't be some superior visual and sound systems, but we're nearing the 'splitting of hairs', certainly been there with audio for a few. Look at photography, the 5D MkI ( is nearly every bit as good as the 5d2 and 5d3, as far as RAW workflow and image quality at lower ISO. How much have the stills really improved at lower ISOs in the last 8 years? Compare that to the original D30 (released in 2000) and most people would be able to tell the difference. Photo image quality is nearing a brick wall, unless you factor in ISO / sensitivity, which is getting a bit better. But we have the tools now, with photography and audio, that anybody with talent could create something as good as anything. Video will follow suit...

• The more important part of this argument relates to the physical and emotional impact that PCM is unable to translate. The argument can be made from several technical perspectives using discussions of harmonics, converter technologies, reproduction technologies, and characteristics of PCM in general.

Can you please tell us more details of that you mean (may be in the new topic).

I agree that spacial and directional information, as well as frequencies that are perceived but not necessarily heard

I really suggest to look deeper at human ear functioning here.

But music and, to a large degree, film and television sound are typically played back on speakers that cost a few bucks.

How about double blind test comparing 320kbit MP3 to the 192KHz original uncompressed PCM version? Any good speakers under $2000 will do.

• Thinking about lenses .. I definetely can't afford CP or L Glass. My Minoltas become difficult to mount inspite of being able to cover the sensor.

I do love primes .. but .. to get functionality quickly I am considering cheaper lenses to use with this camera.

These spring to mind.

Tokina 11-16 f2.8 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554035-REG/Tokina_ATX116PRODXC_11_16mm_f_2_8_AT_X_116.html

Tokina 16-28 f2.8 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/735451-REG/Tokina_ATX168PROFXC_AT_X_16_28mm_F2_8_Pro.html

To get wider I was thinking the Pelang 8mm

What do others think?

• @kavadni

I suggest to wait at least until October and do not run buying many lenses.

• @Vitally .. good thought .. initially .. I have Canon Kit lenses to play with .. which will get me a little wider than normal at 18mm.

Do we have a definitive answer on what the crop factor is?

• IMO the initial excitement of the DSLR revolution was the FF look and interchangeable lenses in an affordable and compact package plus great stills as well. Then as the APS-C and M4/3 cams came along with high quality at a lower price that was another stage. Then the Hacks added more functions and quality to DSLRs. Then you had new cams with more true video features like AF100 n F3, FS100 but much more expensive. The BMCC IMO is addressing a niche that is at the heart of the DSLR Revolution, film look high IQ, high Rez, good Dynamic Range and the ability to grade footage to taste!!! How does this camera miss the mark? It seems to hit the key points of need for low budget film making. You can make videos with just about anything but to get that film aesthetic in a convincing way at this price is the Holy Grail!!!

• @Aria

The BMCC IMO is addressing a niche that is at the heart of the DSLR Revolution

I think you are wrong here.
    BMCC target exactly same market and people that had been target for FS100 and AF100.
    FF DSLRs had been ahead just by strange accident.
    True value are cameras accessible by people who are not pros, and had been shooting stills in their normal life.
    And this are Canon APS-C cameras and Panasonic GH series.
    So, it is always good to remember that for every 100 such cameras sold, they sell no more than 10 FF cameras, and no more than 1-2 entry pro cameras.

• @Aria... you're absolutely right. This is another step in the progression for independent cinema. I got to examine this camera up close and personal at NAB. I also got to spend some quality time with an ARRI Alexa at an ASC presentation. If I had unlimited funds I'd have an ARRI shipped in tomorrow. But on my real world budget I'm ready for the BMD Cinema Camera.

The size and shape might seem odd in pictures but in your hands it's not bad at all. It's reasonably light from what I can tell and very smooth. The front is also rubberized so it's not really that unwieldy. Every new generation camera has some differences to it and every generation of users adapts. Remember how many howls of derision there were when folks started shooting video with 5Ds? Well on the show floor at NAB you couldn't spit without hitting some guy with a Canon on a shoulder or pistol grip rig. I'd say they adapted.

I questioned the BMD guys pretty seriously and this camera is something they're fully supporting. And while they wouldn't fully come out and say so it was intimated that RED ain't happy. Shipping is supposed to start in July and by the third day of the show there were pre-orders being taken by lots of retailers. I won't have the cash until later this summer or I would have been one of them. In fact, as much as I like my GH2 I would have likely skipped it and invested in the BMD camera had I known it was on the horizon. And I'm not much of an early adopter.

This camera is aimed not at the mass market but still a pretty large one. Individual filmmakers used to scraping by will quickly formulate a plan to buy one. And those who can't will be able to rent one at a really reasonable cost. Schools can outfit a film class with a fleet of these for the price of a full EPIC or ALEXA kit so there's another profit center. If there are no major issues with the Cinema Camera BMD just found a way to print money.

• @Vitaliy

"BMCC target exactly same market and people that had been target for FS100 and AF100. FF DSLRs had been ahead just by strange accident. True value are cameras accessible by people who are not pros, and had been shooting stills in their normal life. And this are Canon APS-C cameras and Panasonic GH series. So, it is always good to remember that for every 100 such cameras sold, they sell no more than 10 FF cameras, and no more than 1-2 entry pro cameras."

Exactly how I look at it also.

Some treat the BMCC as a Dslr killer but it not even the target market. I have a friend who usually shoots gigs and takes photos (as a hobby) with Dslrs and got a bit too over excited about the BMCC it took a little explaining why it wouldn't suit his needs (not to mention overkill!).

• @liquidify an exhaustive, scientific, double blind study was done by AES to see if people could hear the difference between 16 bit, 24 bit, DSD, 96kHz, and a bunch of other formats. And it was proved conclusively that they could not tell the difference. No one liked the answer, but there it was, tried, tested, and true. Not to mention that people with better hearing (they had their hearing tested, just to be thorough) were LESS likely to guess the right answer (probably were able to hear noise better generated by some of the formats and mistook it for "low quality"). There are also some papers demonstrating the mathematical superiority of PCM to DSD, but since no one can hear the difference, I suppose it does not matter too much. It is unlikely that such a study will be done again because it doesn't sell gear. No one wants to sponsor a study showing that there is no reason to upgrade their gear.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev, Black Magic Deign may have been targeting the fs100 & af100 niche but that niche was in large part a response to the complaints of users about the limitations of DSLRS and as such those cams were more expensive answers to the DSLR and that niche. I don't believe I'm wrong at all. Those low budget film makers Were the target and this camera hits the mark much better in achieving the filmic look in particular giving users the ability to edit and grade without worrying about the files breaking up and looking bad.

I know it may have started with photo guys taking advantage of the newly added video features of DSLRs but it quickly spread to video guys looking for better solutions at lower cost. I wasn't a photographer looking to get into video. Most of the guys I know here in the U.S. that have gotten into the DSLR thing are coming from the video side. Guys were using adapters on video cameras to try and get some shallow DOF and a flatter film look was always the dream. The BMCC seems like the answer to some of those dreams minus bogus limitations of what the big cam companies have given in DSLRs or the more expensive Pro division cameras.

• @DrDave I don't doubt the integrity of the test or skill of the people who did it. However, it made me think of two violinists I've seen in the past year. One was the amazing Sarah Chang, ex prodigy, Julliard, the whole enchilada. One of the world's best. The other was the Anne Akiko Myers, also a gifted musician, world class, but generally, probably, not considered quite at the level of Sarah Chang. But somehow Akiko Myers sounded better to me. I don't know why. Concert Hall accoustics? better compositions? I was in a better mood? Perhaps. But there was one other significant difference: Akiko Myers was playing a Stradivarius and Sarah Chang wasn't. I know, there are double blind studies using expensive audio gear and expert ears "Proving" that a Strad is in fact indistinguishable from high quality modern violins. Scientific proof! Part of me, after actually hearing a Strad, just doesn't buy it. I believe there are elements of perception that aren't yet quantifiable. So I'm curious and not dismissive of the claim that 24 bit is more pleasing than 16 bit. My proof sits on the eye of a a single violin string.

Anyway, I hope that guy who brought up the topic doubles down and offers some proof.

Behold! http://www.anneakikomeyers.com/ http://sarahchang.com/

• I do think BMCC is a nice product, but think about pricing when the "revolution" began. 5D Mark II could be had for well under $2000. That's cheap. 5D Mark II was very accessible, to photographers and videographers. That's why 5D Mark II got noticed: people experimented with it and were surprised what they could achieve. And you could just ingest footage into your NLE without a sweat. And we have Panasonic coming with GH1 and GH2 with price class $1000 and less. So accessible to a very broad category of people who shoot photo and video. Then Canon noticed that they attracted a category of video enthusiasts and even professionals, and tries to capitalize on that (raising price of 5D Mark III). But there is still that broad market for under $2000 category.

I think there is a difference between the shooter of DSLR in general, and the "pro" shooter that goes for the FS100, AF100, and the BMCC. I think Panasonic could be the company to still capture this broader market. They may split GH series and create higher end (IntraFrame) camera, but stay well below $2000. For me that's still more interesting for a broader market than BMCC. Don't get me wrong, I love what it is. I still think the revolution began with the idea of having a cinematic tool for such a low price. And below $2000 is still a magic number, whatever the features it might have.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions