Personal View site logo
New Panasonic Pro cameras and AF100 50p/60p software upgrade
  • 82 Replies sorted by
  • @johnnymossville

Won't happen.
    AF100 could do 1080p50/p60 from the start (but in weird overcranking mode).

• Its great news to have AF100 software upgrade and at the same time it is a proof that the machine could most likely do a more than it currently does... pity.

And its a shame they are selling the upgrade... not the best way to show respect for their customers. But I guess I just have to swallow my pride and purhase it.

If only they had the wisdom to give Vitaliy a call and open the software for him and the development team... I know.. dream on :)

And yes we have the GH2. I like both machines very much. Great tools. They help me do my job and both are great in their own rights.

• Since they are offering 1080/60p as an upgrade for the AF100, would it be too much to ask they might be thinking of a software upgrade for the GH2 to do the same, to sell a few more GH2's before the GH3 comes out?

• just wish they offered a 1:1 magnification on the EVF for focus assist

First. they declared that this is totally impossible long time ago :-)
    Second. They could be saving something for NAB 2013. Focus assist for only extra $400!

• As an AF100 owner, I'm happy that there is an upgrade at last. And the price isn't too outrageous. It extends the useful life of this camera, and offers a little more versatility. Sure, we can be disappointed it doesn't offer more, but overall, it's adequate for its market segment. And we always have the GH2 for special situations where HBR is needed.

I just wish they offered a 1:1 magnification on the EVF for focus assist.... :-(

• @VK "I told one year ago that best solution is close down Pro department completely (but keep engineers staff) and start from scratch removing all managment."

I think we will see Pro departments sold off to other companies, its going to be a hard market to be in if you are a huge electronic manufacturer. I will not be surprised if sony and panasonic sell off their pro video camera business in 5 years. ( they will still make consumer cameras )

• 4K ? without hardware upgrade ?

Due to design, AF100 could never produce 4K.

• Makes me feel like when GH3 comes out, it's gonna disappoint.

Consumer cameras department have no real realation to disappointing Pro Broadcast department performance.

I told one year ago that best solution is close down Pro department completely (but keep engineers staff) and start from scratch removing all managment.

• Makes me feel like when GH3 comes out, it's gonna disappoint.

• Why would someone invest in AF100 if GH2 (Hacked) already out performs it ? 4K ? without hardware upgrade ? That's a Pannys own "hack" up scaling only ... No innovative ideas ?!

• The af100 is now available for $3495. Does it make sense at that price?

• Vitaliy do you think that af100 should have the same compression of GH2 or it's impossible?

I am not talking about AF100 here.

Do you plan to modifiy/hack it?

Nope

• Vitaliy do you think that af100 should have the same compression of GH2 or it's impossible? Do you plan to modifiy/hack it? I would donate if you'll do it...

• Btw, this 4K VariCam they "introduced" (with S35 sensor) won't be actual for at least 1.5 years

So, as result we have most horrible Panasonic NAB introductions.

• Announcing a minor update for the AF-100 and asking us to pay feels like a slap in the face. Is there more to come from Panny? Because this was underwhelming other than the exciting 4K Varicam. Also, P2 is outdated and irrelevant I think.

• But it is last years model. I'm not really sure of the expectations a company "unlocks" or adds features to already existing product line. Yes, I know RED does it, and Sony will throw LOG.out. We only have better compressing because of Vitaliy. If they released a AF200 with the same specs as the 100 I'd understand disappointment.

• this is bullshit, new "sd" p2 scam, i wish their new minip2 are made from beter plastic and electronics, 2/3 inch sensor at 4k is for a forced upgrade for full frame later. Looks good for tv and broadcast.

come on Af 100 software upgrade, panasonic, i know you have something cooking.

• Yes, disaster! The sensor/electronics don't get any better with the software upgrade, and 28 mbps for 50/60p, when we have more than 100 mbps for 24p and nicer image quality on a hacked GH2? Ridiculous.

Sony will eat them alive…

• Really, disaster?

• The most important thing here is AF100 disaster. No AF200 is released.
    To be able to reecord in 1080p50/p60 with sound you'll need to pay Panasonic.

• @disneytoy

This is mostly marketing terms describing just different encoding parameters.

• If @Driftwood got hold of it and @Vitaliy created a hacking program for it, it would probably look like 8K

• I think Driftwood's head would explode if you gave him access to all these Codecs:-)

AVC-Intra444 AVC Ultra Class 50 and Class 100 and 200

• @Vitaliy,

I believe you are right.

• @disneytoys,

Maybe it was designed that way so that it be upgradeable in the future with interchangeable modules.