Personal View site logo
Professional cameras coming at NAB 2012
  • Here we'll have some speculations and some actual early data.

You can be absolutely sure that in $4000-6000 range we will see new cameras.

Jem is also talking today just about it
    http://www.thec47.com/gearbox/wait.html

• 33 Replies sorted by
  • @johnnym

Please, use proper topic :-)

• Apparently Blackmagic will release a camera that does 2.5K Raw for under 3k http://gizmodo.com/5902337/blackmagic-teases-cinema-camera-whopping-25k-resolution-for-under-3000

First tests seem to be lacking a bit in sharpness, but i like the feel of the image and it seems pretty flat too. http://vimeopro.com/johnbrawleytests/blackmagic-cinema-camera

• @Brian202020

They had plenty of space to make P2 converter accept pair of SD cards. It is much better solution that raid on one tiny card.

• All other Panasonic announcements so far are unimpressive in my opinion.

• Although P2 was expensive and the form factor has much to be desired, the reliability was 2nd to none in my opinion. If they can bring that reliability, peace of mind, and warranty to an SD card, It'll be a good thing. I haven't read either way whether it will work with non standard P2 products yet, but if so it'll be pretty huge in my opinion.

• @Brian202020

And you completely sure that fast Sandisk cards are wastly different? As I understand all fast cards use multiple memory dies to speed things up, and all of modern MLC controllers use some form of error correction. While they do not use mirroring, of course. But I do not see how it can wastly help with small fragile cards.

• From the info I've read is the internals are just like P2 cards with 4 separate memory cells in a raid 1 configuration with a raid controller and error checking. They just picked a common form factor.

• @Brian202020

All I see for now are SD cards with sticker on them. And I suppose, very high prices.

Anyone remember Olympus cards that had been required to shoot panoramas? Camera checked for them, and disabled function if 3rd party card had been used.

Same here. They'll disable bitrates with 3rd party SD cards. So, it is not news about progress, it is more news about regress.

• My quote from March 13th: "How about P3 then? It'll be a smaller, cheaper, faster, professional, standardized, and a controllable medium that would be guaranteed to work with all new Panasonic P3 cameras (and anyone that licenses it), and it would be backward compatible with P2 products via an adapter."

Told ya so.

• Nobody is talking about that kine 8 camera .... when is that coming out?

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2644/kineraw-s8p-super-8mm-hd-sensor-2k-raw/p1

• I'm in the market for a camera now, which if how I came across this site. At this stage I'm pretty committed to a GH2 as I've ordered a few accessories, but I'm waiting until post NAB to order it in case there's a price drop (GH3 is announced). It's possible something may come along at NAB to change my mind, but given my funds I can't realistically expect anything to exceed the GH2 performance to price value. Still you never know :)

• @thepalalias I think you are right, the embedded audio would more than likely need to be striped. The Sound Devices external recorders might do this, but I'm not sure. Another thing a device like this could do would be to remove pulldown if needed.

• @Brian202020: Wow. That was a good move to sell before NAB. Well....with all the rumors going around, why not expect a 4K GH3?! :) I'm looking forward to next week's announcements.

• Sorry, but I have a very different experience. I used AF101 and hacked GH2, and the AF101 can just pull close if you underexpose it and use a Ninja, but it never overtook the GH2 from the moment we started using Chris' Rocket settings.

• @bwhitz I agree with most of what you are saying with exception of your AF100 comment. I had an AF100 and a GH2. I got a lot better images from my AF100 and to me it will always be a better camera than the GH2. It has nothing to do with being a professional camera. I did sell the AF100 tho because I decided selling it before NAB was a good thing.

• @KeithLommel "It seems more likely to me that the manufacturers would want to create these proprietary storage media as yet another means of charging a huge premium to professionals."

Yea, definitely allot of this. It's a symbiotic relationship the manufacturer and the "gear elitists" have. The "professionals" like to own gear that other people can't buy, and the companies like to charge exorbitant amounts for "pro" gear. Win win for both of them.

"It would make DSLR's with clean HDMI be excepted by the diehard professionals that need/want such options."

I don't think allot of these guys will ever accept them. They simply don't like the fact that they are "small" and are available to allot of people. They'd never admit it though... they just keep bringing up stupid points like "the AF-100 will always be superior to the GH2 (no matter how good the hack) because of ergonomics"...... WTF!? Just admit you like "big cameras" and be done with it.

These guys could find a way to justify the use of a 720p Varicam over a 4k GH3 with 120fps. They'd probably make up some stupid derogatory buzz-word like "feather-cam" and say they're too light for "real productions". Then if you tell them just to add weight with a rig, they'd say "but that's not professional". :P

• @Brian202020 Cool idea. I see one logistical issue that would need to be addressed. HDMI output etc. means the device would need to accept input from the camera, but 24 /96 audio means it would need to ignore the audio side (even though the audio is typically embedded in the HDMI out at this point.)

Otherwise the device would (usually) have to be samplerate limited to the original signal since digital-to-digital upsampling is rarely well executed in real-time (and as a result, rarely offered in hardware or done at a premium).

On the other hand, a device that could strip the audio from the HDMI or HD-SDI input, add timecode and connect to another device (via analog or digital) for audio input to mix into the output synced, could be helpful. There may already be devices for this (I am trying to remember whether the one MOTU discussed at NAMM could or not) but my guess is that they would be rather expensive.

Either way, could be a good development if it happened.

• I had a dream last night and I have another idea of a device that will hopefully be at NAB, and if not, it should be.

I think a Beachtek or Juicedlink type device that also has HDMI/SDI/Timecode in and both HDMI and SDI out. This device would be an amazing companion to DSLR's with a clean HDMI signal. It'd be pretty cool to get an HDMI video signal with 24bit 96khz audio and timecode embedded in either a HDMI or SDI out. It would make DSLR's with clean HDMI be excepted by the diehard professionals that need/want such options.

• @Brian202020 : yes, that's true... but they would be forced to make new lenses for the S35 system - because without lenses it doesn't make sense - and I guess they won't tell you to buy Sony or Canon :))

• As for the P2/P3 discussion, yes of course it's a way for companies to make extra money. At the same time to a standardized media that is guaranteed to work can be a plus for the professional market especially as the bitrates climb up. Maybe they'll go 1.8" SSD's like Convergent Design uses in there Gemini. I predict Panasonic and Sony will still milk that cow for one more year.

• @Alfi666

If it crops to m4/3 it would still be backwards compatible with the m4/3 lenses.

• @bwhitz: I agree, but is it really bragging rights and gearism that is driving this? It seems more likely to me that the manufacturers would want to create these proprietary storage media as yet another means of charging a huge premium to professionals. It wouldn't surprise me to see Panasonic or others try to milk this market-division cow a little longer...

• Panasonic will not go with the Super35 route... they've invested in 4/3 lenses too much to just move to different sensor size... they would need new lenses, etc... so IMHO its not gonna happen

• +1 @plasmasmp ,that for me is the most important feature that we are missing with the lower priced cameras

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions