Personal View site logo
GF2 Stable Settings
  • 614 Replies sorted by
  • pdlumina, good for you, but why boast about it then not explain when asked, that's what creates doubt.

• Shot it slightly flat -1, -1, 0, 0, actually lowered brittleness a bit and poped it up a bit in contrast in post. All the outdoor stuff was on a Rokkor 50mm F1.4 (30 year old manual lens) with a cheap MC to micro43 adapter.

really sharpwhen its stopped way down..

I was going for a bright film look , crushed blacks and bright feeling. I typically go for that look...

The package shot was on the 14mm f2.5 panny, indoors, as I needed auto focus because, I do all my own stunts..

I really like this Flowmotion 1.11 Patch , very nice compromise of quality and reliability, it will have to beat out pvdog at the lake in image quality, but it is in my top 3 of everyday do anything patches at this point.

• @Rambo , great tips, please can you explain in more details the "understand the trigger points" ?

• New favorites settings .. If i need spanning Flowmotion 1.11, and if I don't need spanning Mysteron I'm going to test these on the waves on the water test and see what they can do.. Once you try Mysteron on GF2 or GF3 you know what this camera can do. The Mysteron footage I took today steller stuff. Unreal a 200-250 dollar camera can do this quality of stuff. Footage from today with Mysteron, don't know why I bother since YT bit rates are 4.3mbits/sec, 95% of what the original is.

• Testing a new mix, I barely had time to shoot some video today (AVC 1080i60). Still... I prefer seven two O mj for serious stuff. Can't beat the progressive quality.

edit my apologies, I meant to post this on the 'Hacked GF2 footage topic' thread

vlcsnap-2012-04-05-22h16m22s69.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    vlcsnap-2012-04-02-23h20m32s201.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
  • Is it true that one needs an ND filter for non Panasonic lens (Canon series), in doing day scenes. I tried to shoot something with my Canon EF 50mm 1.8II with a Fotodiox adapter and shooting a day scene, it's all white. Maybe it's an aperture situation, I don't know.

• JayB38, the footage in my above post was without ND filter, but my lens was stopped down to F16 and it was about 6pm so the sun was not at its brightest and overcast slightly.. if your fully stopped down and your still blown out, then you need a ND filter... or if your trying for shallow DOF in bright conditions, that's the main reason I use a ND filter is shallow DOF in bright conditions. most of my lenses can stop down enough in bright conditions for general shooting needs.

• Thanks @Ebacherville. I just did a shot not too long ago, and I notice that I might need an ND filter or another adapter with the aperture ring. I was going to try out my Anamorphic lens adapter and do some shots.

Also when I shoot pictures, the overexposure is not there. Pure clean shot, picturewise. Oh well, you live and learn.

Here's a test shot, using pvdog's settings.

• JayB38 :))

newfolder3.jpg
    603 x 716 - 216K
  • Having a good ND filter I do consider a must have especially if you like shallow DOF outdoors. in the test I did on pvdog at the lake I had a shot of the pine brush with shallow DOF, no way in heck you could get this shot any way but with a ND filter, best is dedicated ND filters using a system like the cokin filter system.. but I use a decent variable ND filter.. I think this is the one I have. low cost but decent results. It works good but wish I invested in the cokin system instead... the cokin system is on my (very long) list of stuff to get. http://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-Multi-Coated-Variable-Neutral-Density/dp/B004GYXRRE/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1333776330&sr=8-12

• I am a 16mm look lover, amd I think that GF2/3 really have that soft look! However, do you think that GF2 hacked video quality can beat canon eos 550d/600d?

• AlbertZ, I don't have any 550d or 600d footage to compare to , but yes the GF line is softer than the GH2 not much but softer yes.. still has tons of detail.. if you like a filmy look try mysteron or other all intra patches, they seem to feel more film like to me, slightly more fine grain is seen and just seems to look like less than 30FPS. The biggest thing at this point would be the lack of manual controls, it can be worked with but makes it challenging.. however if this gets fixed by VK these are going to be hard to beat for a high end camera with great footage and dirt cheap.

• FILM LOOK on GF2... We have now begun shooting a low budget Feature film on location in New Zealand. The below clip did not have any colour correction or grading. Simply assemble-edited using Sony Vegas. All the footage is GF2 running PVDOG at approx 40Mbps (PAL) with the standard Panasonic lens. I am so happy with the look of this footage that I will gladly shoot the whole movie this way. Please forgive the Youtube compression. Hopefully you can still see it OK. Would appreciate your comments-

• Looks great. I think it can use some color grading through :)

Good luck with the film. I'd love to watch the entire thing (especially if it's filmed with the GF2).

• Nice looking stuff AndyS, I'll second that it would be cool to see a film or even a short made on a little camera like the GF line, just to show off what these budget cameras can do once hacked.. it is amazing the quality of footage that can be had from these $200 cameras. Also throw that footage in the GF2 footage topic also.

• GF2+ Sigma 30mm F1.4 at 37mbps.

• @klifex, great quality, which patch/settings did you use ?

• i used hybrid LPowell's Flow Motion and Balazer's Cake patches settings. it's 37 mbps, noticed great low light effects, low artifacts if only u use large aperture lens F < 1.8 anything above it will be compensate by iso and you'll see artifacts starts jumping out. however, the 720p @ 25mbps cannot be play back in the camera..still figure not how to fix the bugs

• Will a Sandisk 16GB 30mb a good card to purchase for a GF2 hack?

• itscehris, yes good card, if its a legit Sandisk card

• @itscehris seems there are at least two different sandisk 30mb/s cards (ultra, extreme) and also seems to be an extreme 45mb/s card. (Links to amazon product pages) I think any of the above are considered good, but also seems like there are many varieties of legit and also fakes, so it may be best to research specifics a bit and buy from a reputable seller.

• @klifex youtube: "This video contains content from EMI, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds. " USA

• Balazers cake 2.2 spans also on GF2 FSH (55MBps) Sandisk 32GB Extreme - great patch for that little camera! http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2123/gh2-cake-v2.2-reliability-and-spanning-in-720p-hbr-24p-and-vmm-at-2-2.5x-stock-bit-rates/p7