Personal View site logo
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • Try resetting the camera. (Menu, Setup, Reset) Sometimes weird things happen.

• Damned if I know, EYESOUL. They play back in my camera. Sometimes I have to turn the camera off and on again to get playback, but I never have to remove the battery. The fact that you couldn't even playback a still photo is utterly bizarre. Maybe somebody smarter than me has a suggestion.

• Was doing some testing today with Sanity 4.1(NTSC)..I went to play back my first clip and it wouldn't playback in camera,took battery out and it still wouldn't play after powering back up..so my day of IQ testing turned into wondering why my footage wouldn't playback in camera..I was in the forest just taking random shots of trees or what have you,but no matter what mode I was in 24pH or 24pL I was still getting the error..I even took a still photo and got the error..At first I thought it was my card until I got the error with many different cards.. "Sandisk Extreme 16gb class 10 30mb/s".."Sandisk Extreme 16gb class 10 45mb/s".."Transcend 16gb class 10".."Transcend 32gb class 10" just to name a few..While I didn't get one crash from any card I used,it was just frustrating not being able to view footage in camera.

Far as stability this patch seems to be rock solid but the in camera playback seems to be a big issue..btw when I got home and viewed the footage on the cpu it was beautiful!!..I really like the look of the patch considering the modest bit-rates,but need it to playback in camera..any suggestions?

• I've tried to apply the tables in question (Sanity PAL version). Recorded without errors on SanDisk 30MB/s.

It doesn't span, though...

so who cares :-)

• Sorry towi, I tried your idea and it did not work at all. I never got a chance to see if it improved spanning because it produced write errors within 5 seconds!

• @Ralph_B

under "gop related" settings try to set these values:

• 1080p24 GOPx2=36
    • 1080i60 GOPx2=72
    • 1080i50 GOPx2=72
    • 720p60 GOPx2=72
    • 720p50 GOPx2=72

maybe this will enable spanning also in HBR mode (maybe also in 24H... who knows).

see here: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/54292#Comment_54292

• Thanks Ralph. It was just a curious question. I am totally ignorant when it comes to these technical specifications.

• @peaceonearth which matrix did you use

Stock matrix. I experimented with various matrices, and while you may gain a little something in one area, you also lose something somewhere else. It's like, how are you going to distribute the bits? The stock matrix seems to take a balanced approach, and that's just fine by me.

• which matrix did you use, Ralph?

• I had a look at SH mode in Sanity 4.1 NTSC. Images look good. Rate control looks good. Camera was stable. B-frames are giving a slight advantage in efficiency. Spanning failed using a SanDisk Extreme HD Video 30 MB/s card. (ISO 12800, stationary and pointed at a wall, average bit rate 43.6 Mbps)

Edit: nevermind. Just saw your note about spanning only working at ISO 5000 and below and without ETC.

FYI, Encoder setting 4 720p is how I solved my spanning problem. Give it a try.

• Yesterday, I shot some tulips in my back yard with Sanity, and the results were fairly nice. I shot the same area with Cake this morning. I didn't notice much of a difference. I haven't looked at it too closely, so things like macroblocking may still be in there, but I'm encouraged.

• Been using it for the past week, I do see some macro-blocking in the shadow areas when I do some curves adjustment that I didn't see on the higher bit-rate patches. However it cleaned up well with Neatvideo and I really like the quality it gives.

Most of all the stability, I just love having to not worry about a crash in mid shoot.

• @Ralph_B Loaded Sanity 4.1 PAL this morning, looks great! Thanks for your work Ralph.

• @peternap

"Did you do any post on them?" No, they are untouched MTS files straight from the camera. The profile was Standard -2,-2,+2,-2. And the lens was Panasonic 14 to 140mm, set somewhere near the middle of the zoom range.

• @jeffharriger I think it's dependent on the quality of the class 6 card. Delkin has an excellent reputation, so it's great that it's working for you.

• I just wanted to chime in quick and mention I've been shooting with this patch the last few days with Class 6 Delkin cards and have had no write speed errors or anything. So for those of us with lots of Class 6s on the shelf, it's super stable even shooting tricky shrubbery and high con edges and all that. Footage looks very nice. Nice work, and thank you. (haven't shot any 720p yet, no reason to think it wouldn't be fine too)

• @Ralph_B I'm glad you mentioned those clips Ralph (and they were extraordinary).

1. Did you do any post on them?
    2. What were you're settings? I seem to remember you used -2-2+2-2-2, but I don;t remember the profile.
  • I sincerely doubt that short gop has any advantage in motion compared to Sanity. That's why I uploaded those clips with 1/2000 sec shutter in the first post. Freeze frame any of them in the middle of the fast pan, and you will see everything is rendered perfectly. Each frame looks like it was shot with gop 1. And the fact that it wasn't, is just so frickin' cool!

• @peternap

I feel the same. There's no over-promise in Ralph's description... Sanity in fact provides very, very high IQ (at moderate bitrates due to the long GOP). This is the beauty of Sanity.

Based on the patches I have tested only driftwood's Intra patches and bkmcwd's 3GOP settings provide similar "clear" and "sharp" video as Sanity (not only in 24H but also in HBR mode... although the Intra patches only look good in HBR mode when the codec is not stressed much). "PAL64" plays in the same league (but only in PAL mode).

Short GOP might be preferable with motion, though. Also preferable regarding an even noise pattern.

• @Brian_Siano Flo Motion has higher bitrates too but Sanity seems a little sharper to me. I spent a lot of time yesterday comparing Sanity to some of the very high bitrate settings.

In 720, I can't see any difference, even in slow motion.

In 24 P, some of the higher bitrate settings are sharper, some are not, but none are as stable and reliable.

• Hokay, I gave Sanity a test run. I ran it in 24L mode, and let the thing run for two solid hours shooting tulips in my garden. I also ran my old TM700 camcorder next to it for comparison. It worked great.

I still need to compare it to the Cake 2.0 I used last night. It appears that Cake's higher bit rates make for a much clearer picture, but I'm not certain: I shot the garden through a glass door, so there's probably some fuzziness from that. But, the image seems much closer to that of my camcorder. For now, Sanity's definitely useful.

• I'll give Sanity a try. I used Cake 2.0 last night, and got a full hour on my 32gig card, with no glitches, crashes, or problems. So tomorrow, I'll load in Sanity, and run that for as long as I can. (It'd be wonderful if I could get a full two hours at full hi-def.)

• 24L is still 1920x1080. You'll still be able to reframe just as much as with 24H.

The bit rate is still much higher than stock and quite detailed. Why dont you try some test footage and see for yourself before discounting it completely? You may be very surprised.

• Thanks, but if I can't get full hi-def, and spanning, I can't use it. The final product may be lower resolution, but I plan on doing a lot of reframing in post, and I'd need full hi-def original footage to accomplish that.

• Thanks Ralph! Actually, there is still one difference. Stability and that's number on my priority list. It doesn't matter how good the IQ is if the card crashes when you pull the trigger.