Personal View site logo
Volunteers wanted: Making mindmaps of most settings
  • I have an idea to use

http://www.mindomo.com/ (as it makes it possible to collaborate and also have desktop apps, but any similar platform is also suitable)

To make mindmaps for settings, making it easy to find suitable ones.

It can be different veiws to problem, starting from all GH2 settings to specific GF3 settings with custom tables.

• 34 Replies sorted by
  • how do you find all this cool stuff Vitaliy? I'm curious...hehe I'll play around with it a bit, seems pretty cool but you can only make 3 maps with free membership .

• Mindomo could be interesting generally for filmakers. Making a mindmap and brainstorming about a film idea or script for example, or a site/blog/business.

• @stefanos

3 is pretty enough for now

• cool software,

• Another good and free software

http://www.thinkbuzan.com/ru/products/imindmap/basic

I still see no one who'll volunteer for this task.
    And this is important thing as allows beginners to instantly look at the available settings.

• Hi Vitaliy,

Being a kind of beginner myself when it comes to the pure technics (gop system, chrominance, stable/unstable bitrate, spanning or not, etc), I must admit I am kind of lost about identifying and understanding a type of setting: differences between the others, what clearly it does to the image, what situation it can help with (ex/ lowlight, exterior, for all situation in general) and others points (stable or not, spanning or not...).

Being a non english born speaking (i'm french), I have some difficulties to understand all the subtleties of these great settings (let's be clear, I"m not complaining here). A clear synthetic and summary document would be really appreciated. Something that could allow us to identify, understand, and choose the setting we want or need for a type of shooting.

So maybe I can help to make the document (excel doc or try mind mapping), but I won't have the skill to identify and sum-up all the settings with all their particularities and utility... Maybe it would be nice if all the Gh2 settings creator would make an "Identity card" of their own different settings. These identity cards would be all based on the same model (that would be decided by the creators themselves or by Vitaliy) and would add a brief summary of the images's results.

I'll add an attempt of model example for the mind-mapping GH2 Hacks List, done with iMindMap 5 Basic. Just trying to have and give ideas, hope it can help...

Regards

GH2 HACKS LIST EXAMPLE.pdf
    GH2 HACKS LIST.jpg
    800 x 600 - 56K
    GH2 HACKS LIST EXAMPLE.jpg
    1571 x 675 - 115K
  • @jobilo Looks good!

• Yep, and such things could be very useful not only for beginners.
    Sometimes small variations exist and they are hard to understand.

• Greetings, just joined and donated as I am about to hack my GH2....

@jobilo
    <... I must admit I am kind of lost about identifying and understanding a type of setting: differences between the others, what clearly it does to the image, what situation it can help with (ex/ lowlight, exterior, for all situation in general) and others points (stable or not, spanning or not...)>

I think this is a great idea, as I am in the same boat (had started a simple table to help me with the hacks and settings when I found this topic). I would like to help!

Seems like we ought to keep it simple- maybe an online, editable table or other format might work best? This way the programmers and users can update as desired/time allows. Does this seem okay, is it too simple, or is a mind map better? I don't mind digging into this, but some guidance to get me started would be marvelous.

Thanks to Vitaliy, driftwood, and ALL of you whose work makes this possible!

• @kjones

I am against tables as they quickly become mess.

No one prevents you to share original mindmap project.

• Hi everyone,

First, I'm glad that some people enjoy the little example of mind mapping I presented, based on the Vitaliy's idea, thanks!! This little example came from the Thinkbuzan iMindMap 5 Basic software. I've looked into the other mind mapping soft proposed by Vitaliy, Mindomo: actually it looks far better, with the possibility of viewing, sharing, editing online! http://www.mindomo.com/fr/help/sharing-mind-maps.htm

Here is 2 examples of mind map:

http://www.mindomo.com/fr/mindmap/relism-in-cinema-4cd4d74f8115476d995883d17a9f833a

http://www.mindomo.com/fr/mindmap/mindomo-tutorial-learn-by-doing-57885d9859e13b331edfdfac56e1b859

Looks very clear and interactive!!!!

• @jobilo Are you taking this project on? Would like to see what you do with it. I'll poke around mindomo, as well.

@vitaliy Agreed, re:tables, but many mindmaps I see are glorified tables or outlines. It is ALSO possible I don't understand mind maps enough to judge properly-- more research to do on my part.

• @kjones Yeah I would like to try, but for sure not alone. As I said in my first post, I don't understand quite well the particularities of the different settings by myself. This is why I evocated the possibility of a unique model of an Identification Card for each hack setting. The unique model would be approved by the ones with the most important understanding of the hack settings: maybe the creator and Vitaliy.

Actually what I can do is to put in shape all these informations in a clear mind map, viewable on the net, and editable online by a few chosen people...

It would be based on the structure of the little example I proposed, but with a better integration of the text (description, ID card), of images (frame example...) personal-view appropriate topic links and video example links (youtube, Vimeo...) of the settings effects.

I think one of the key for this document is that it will have only one model, agreed by Vitaliy and those involved. One unique structure to follow, every ID card on the same model. So we have a better chance to have a very clear and understandable document, for every one, from beginners to professionals!! I'll try to propose something done on Mindomo.

@vitaliy What do you think about the propositions (mind map example, hacks ID cards...) and do you think the settings creators and yourself (Driftwood, Lpowell ...) would agree to create the model of ID card, and to propose then their different hack ID card??

Thanks to everyone

• @jobilo

All I want is keep it simple.

Simple visual classification of existing settings (of course one can be in many parts)

No youtube links, no big text. Simple.

• @kjones @vitaliy

Here is a quick example of a Mindomo mind map (first time using it for me): http://www.mindomo.com/view.htm?m=2e9d264b3e0849fe98ce98452239a785

Very clear, simple, interactive, and it seems to give powerful mind map. See the little notes, right to the subjects, as the personal-view forum and topic link. Just to see how it looks, I integrated vimeo, youtube videos and image link. Very good tool!!!

By the way we can change order in the mind map: now it's "TITLE:Gh2 hack settings list---------->Utility/Use--------->ID cards----->Results" So maybe it should be: "TITLE:Gh2 hack settings list---------->ID cards--------->Results---------->Utility/Use"

Edit:I finally changed the order in the mindmap.

So what do you think??

• @jobilo

Thanks for work.

Thing is that you want to invent classification and use very big amount of data.

How about using existing topics for this? Each topic as category.

• @vitaliy

Rightly, I don't really want too much informations, but I want the essential. The idea of"hack settings ID cards" is for gathering the essential technical data of all the different settings like for example: Cluster v2e (The ALL 6 GOP setting) Driftwood Mysteron Driftwood Quantum X (v4d Orion) 'Dark Matter' Matrix Pack + HBR FIX - CBR 'Settings' VY Canis Majoris GH2 Flow Motion v2.01 UPDATE Etc... So we keep only the last functional, updated versions of settings. About the topic categorization , for me (as I have a very low technical knowledge), when, for example, I read the Driftwood topics and all of his different variations of settings, I must admit I'm kind of lost... The ID cards would permit to identify the different hack settings and then visualize instantly the variations, according to a same unique model. And we could put a link to the right topics to go deeper.

For the "results" part, it would be more or less the same thing, we could do a result ID card according to chosen criteria. These criteria must be defined buy a bit more technical people, but something like (but I really don't know...): Chrominance, grain, things about frames, etc, etc... ???? Then maybe a brief aesthetical summary (3-5 phrases no more).

As for the utility/use part, the same that I wrote on the mind map.

But, at the end, I don't want to impose anything, but to propose... Thanks for the interests!!

Photo and video links are more of something optional, a technological bonus... :)

• @jobilo

Thing is, we need simple and actual thing.

All this tables and detailed diagrams will be abandoned and non actual fast.

• @vitaliy

Yeah it's true that with all the changes and updates some settings or part of theme will be obsolete... Can you show me your ideas? What classification and order would you put in the mind map?

• @jobilio Good first map, and great that you got us started with a real map, not endless chat.

As we're at the beginning of the mind map project, I'd like to suggest an alternative approach: Your ID Cards come after the desired goal of the shooter. Basically, the reverse of what you have here in your first map.

In the mind of a beginner (that's me for sure!), it's how I want my footage to look or be improved, and then, what hack gives me that? Examples (note that your ID Cards are present with settings approved by programmers and testers): 1. Better detail in shadows - - 2. Longer shoot times - 3. Better slow motion -

Does this make sense, what do you think? Simplicity, especially for beginners, is really important. Again, I am a supporter on this project, will continue to help!

Also, do think there needs to be a beginner section that instructs proper hack procedure and starting points.

• Hmmm, the editor didn't put in my Hack 1, Settings A; Hack 2, SettingsB stuff under 1., 2., etc. Sorry, but my text description agrees with what I meant.

• People who are interested in hacking the GH2 generally fall into one of two different camps:

• Those who want to hack their GH2 with improved settings that require no maintenance.
    • Those who like to test out multiple settings and discuss which ones they like best.

People in the first group are mostly seeking advice from other users on what software they need and how to use it. They often benefit from simplified guidelines, but it's difficult to keep such things comprehensive and up to date.

People in the second group usually want to figure things out themselves rather than follow simplified guidelines. Many enjoy a sense of progress and participation in following extensive chains of beta releases. Attempts to organize and categorize these projects tend to get bogged down in ever-changing details.

In my view, the most important aspect of a patch is not how it works, but how it's tested. A patch that is no longer actively maintained by its author, particularly ones developed on older versions of PTool, can only be appraised by people who are interested in testing it themselves. Since there are few systematic procedures for comprehensive testing of patches, it remains an individual pursuit that is difficult to standardize.

• I have attached a PDF of an Excel document which is a mind map explaining FOUR new key documents that the GH2 video community needs.

This includes the technical style manual for patches (already alluded to!!) which I propose be called "Protocol for describing GH2 patches and their field useability" (see my diagram for the starting dot points of its contents).

The other docs we need are: (1) a monthly "HACK PROGRESS NEWSLETTER" to be posted by Vitaliy in its own stand-alone thread (2) a (MASSIVE!!) Excel table which correlates all stable patches and camera functions called "Overview of GH2 features and hack improvements" . Would need its own dedicated editor! (3) a re-written camera instruction manual ... purely from the videographer's field perspective.

My direct contact details are at the top of the PDF document. Hopefully real drafts and collaboration will emerge soon! I am a pretty good technical writer but would need to work with a good team on these frameworks.

[Note: I do not recommend using Mindomo software for this or any other mind-mapping project, because Kaspersky security software found it was trying to access the secure passwords section in my computer. Could be trojan war?]

Optimizing GH2 for Video - Mind Map 01 - 6 June 2012.pdf
  • @Jobilo The "Patch ID Cards" are great idea. Each "Patch ID card" would in fact be a PDF with all relevant testing info in a table. All criteria in the PDF would be decided and approved by Vitaliy and Co. Approved PDFs would go in a new "Approved Patch Vault".

My proposed document "Protocol for describing GH2 patches and their field useability" would serve as an explanatory document and glossary to help people interpret the "Patch ID Cards". It would explain all methodology.