Personal View site logo
Help me save my corrupt 32gb sandisk Challenge!
  • Right, my fairly new 32gb 45mb/s sandisk that has been working fine seems to be really fucked up. If any genius or pc wizard can think of sth clever , give it a shot!

FACTS:

-I can't cut/copy/delete any files from the card (even though i managed at one point to copy the footage from a mac, so I don't care about recovering data, formatting on a mac failed too)

-the drive has become incredibly slow and freezes any time you click or right click any file within "STREAM" location

-there are some garbage files created in my stream location made up of symbols and shit

-I scanned the card and my whole computer with avg antivirus and malwarebytes: found nothing

• trying to format from camera gives error and can't complete

-formatting from my computer cannot complete

-formatting from disk management cannot complete or freezes

-downloaded "SDFormatter" as well as "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool", both of which when I run (and I've tried all format options) give error "media device is write-protected" so I double check the little switch on the side of my sdhc card and I made sure it was upwards(meaning it's not write-protected)

So my next step was to run "regedit" and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies
       I then opened "WriteProtect" and entered 0 value instead of 1, pressed ok. Result: same shit.

-also tried "Apacer Formatting Utility" with special .bat file . Result: negative

-then I tried command prompt CHKDSK H: /F result: negative

-then I rebooted in safe mode with command prompt only, I accessed my card and ran "Format H:" and I got error "format cannot run because the volume is in use by another process " so I tried dismounting the drive too but that did nothing either

what do u think?anything I can do?

I bought this card from amazon uk but right now i'm in greece on holiday and will be here for the next month and need to shoot stuff, so I can't try and send it back. and there are no video sdhc sandisk cards in stock in greece, and if they are, they cost about 300 euro :)))

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • and the software RescuePRO that comes with the sandisk eXtreme cards?

• Are you using the same SD card reader when you tried this on different machines?

• "and the software RescuePRO that comes with the sandisk eXtreme cards?" I'm pretty sure I didn't get a cd, and if I did I don't have access to it till next month, but cheers for the tip, i'll if I can torrent it or sth.

"Are you using the same SD card reader when you tried this on different machines?"

I've tried on 2 windows machines with the same sd reader, but on the mac i used it's built in port. do u think it's possible that the reader can fuck your card up so badly and corrupt it?

• Sorry, I don't understand - why are you trying to save a card that has failed on you? I would understand that you're trying to recover the data, but that you've already done. I would never use such card again.

BTW: reader can corrupt the cards, but they should be recoverable, until there is something physically wrong with the chips in card

• "why are you trying to save a card that has failed on you?" a)because it cost me 72$ b) because I won't know if I can even send it back till next month when I return c) because where I am right now during april I have no easy access to sandisk cards at even remotely reasonable prices and would like to shoot a short before I leave.

• Try different reader.
    After this be sure to throw it into a dump. And get any other card. I mean it.

• just ordered 3 new 8gb 30mb/s cards to keep me going, hopefully should arrive soon. Also just sent an email to sandisk support, we'll see what happens, I should be covered right?

@Vitaliy_Kiselev "Try different reader" - I'll go buy one tomorrow and try

"After this be sure to throw it into a dump. "

Do you mean to throw the card reader away or both that and the card?

"And get any other card"

do u mean that I've just got a bad card (even though it's been working flawlessly for 2 months so can't be fake)and should get rid of it, or that I should try to not get the 45mb/s ones ?

cheers

• @stefanos

I mean throw out the card. You can use it for some home backup purposes (but if you have copy in other place). but never at work.

About other card, I mean any other card, b eit same model or not.