Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • @SystemD Yeah, I was oriented towards that but after chatting with Matthew Duclos, I switched and purchased the 28 ZF2 which has a great value for the price and it's well mod.

• @HillTop1

Yes, there are many 28mm versions/variations from Nikon. And in this particular case, the f/2.8 AI-S is different from all of them. Meaning, all the rest are generally mediocre 28mm lenses -- but for whatever reason the f/2.8 AI-S has a completely different design.

So, yeah, avoid the AI, D, E Series, f/2, or f/3.5.

The first result that comes up on Google is this... http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/28f28ais.htm

I'm generally not a Ken Rockwell fan, but he's not always wrong, and it's a decent article. His "light falloff" (vignetting) test looked a little extreme -- but -- apparently he adds the disclaimer that his results are "exaggerated." Vignetting was not a problem with this lens on a full frame -- and it's really not a problem on a 2x crop.

The reason this lens is a big deal is because of lack of distortion (and sharpness). Normally, with 28mm anything you're getting nailed with barrel distortion. This one doesn't have it at reasonable distances, and that's why it's such a very nice fit with the GH2 as a "normal" lens.

• I guess this is a lens topic now.

• @driftwood cheers for the clarification..! Hopefully there will be some time now, during easter to try these things out!

• Mysteron Burst

'Standard' -2 -1 0 -2

24p

ISO 160

Rokinon 35mm F2.8

mysteron-burst-24p-iso160-35mm.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • @terry2 It had a little motion from the camera handheld but mostly a static shot. I will test with more motion.

• @onionbrain

avoid the AI, D, E Series, f/2, or f/3.5.

I own Nikon 28mm f/2 AI - much better than f/2.8 AI-S. I tried both and sold the AI-S.

Nikon_28mm_f2_AI.jpg
    1920 x 1278 - 1M
  • @redbaron Thank you, it'd be important to establish the max recording time on a SDXC 95MB/s extreme pro under stressed camera/codec conditions.

• short clip from testing Mysteron settings (ver1, not the burst settings)

• @onionbrain @systemD @lumina @Tifose @chief This is not a lens topic. Move your discussion to the right forum/topic. This topic is about Driftwood Quantum X settings. We must be strict in this, otherwise every topic turns into a chat. Thanks!

• HELLO ALL!

I have a question, i am using a 30 mb/s 32gb extreme card and mysteron gives me a write speed error about 1:30 to 2:30 everytime,,, on 24h...

has anyone else had this issue?

& does anyone have a suggestion so I can get it to go to the 4gb size everytime and still have that awesome mystron "look"

• @sohus

Thank you for the explanation and orders. It means a great deal to me.

• @driftwood Mysteron has a lot less noise from the few shots i made. At ISO6400 noise should have been all over the place, but it was even ok. I don't know what you did, but to me this seems like magic. Too bad my Sandisk 16GB 30MB/s craps out after a few seconds at high ISO. At ISO800 i had no problem filming.

• I did a little more testing against Sanity 4.1 today. Mysteron keeps coming out on top. Tonight I'm going to try noise testing again. http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/peternap/comp.jpg?t=1333485613

• @sohus understood

• Is there a setting that is considered the best successor to SeaQuake from last year?

• @flaschus I have the same card. but I lowered 24H from 154Mbps to 146Mbps and it works just fine for me. try it. see if it is working. 24H does not span btw. but 24L does.

• @PiotrJ what seaquake does??? whats so special in seaquake?? i never tried it,..so i dont know anything about it,..tell me what so special with that patch so that i can suggest you something similar from new onces,..i tried almost all new once except the bursty mysteron,..

• @rajamalik it was one of the ones that was very popular in November/December. I've used it ever since and wanted to switch to a newer one just not sure which one.

• @PiotrJ popular for popularity now we have orion v4b the official intra,..for maximum details and sharpness now we use sedna AAQ1 then for soft tone and smooth filimic look we use Sedna C,....and for experiment to the max the mysteron burst is been tested and was released for everyone,.... see page 1

• @cjdincer

thx 4 the info! will try tonite!

• Just did some tests with Mysteron burst. Sandisk 32GB 95mb/s. 7-14mm. Standard 0 all.

Successful (with expected crash after a minute or two):

Interior, ISO 1250, lots of panning and tilting. Moving forward, back caused crash. Exterior, Ex Tele, closeup of flower, not much detail or light behind plant. :47

Crashes: ISO 5000, interior, dark room, almost immediately

In general, Ex Tele Mode (wasn't expecting it to work) 3 seconds for most shots

Early crashes (6-13 seconds) outdoor using ISO 160, outdoor, plants in FG, street in BG. Probably from high detail and motion.

If anyone wants an MTS, let me know and I'll set something up.

• @PiotrJ Rajamalik steered you well. Driftwood`s high bitrate chronology is as follows after SeAQuake.

Quantum 1-9

Quantum X Orion

Quantum X Sedna AQ and Q20

Mysteron

Ther other patches all had slightly different briefs.

• (Double post).

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions