Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • Mysteron non burst will record for as long as your card can handle it - like Sedna - but it has its own high quality matrix - slightly more aggressive than Sedna.

Mysteron Burst wil record with much higher i frames for a shorter length of time. 5 seconds is the average for consistent 900k i frames. However, when the detail is less dramatic, expect longer times. The recording will stop when it runs out of steam.

Suggestive uses of Burst mode: could resolve more detail out of the shadows, could be useful for hi detail cutaways (where 5 seconds is ample), great for macro lenses.

Once again, any releases under the Mysteron banner are my personal experimental settings - pushing things where others do not go.

• @Braamokiev Burst appears to be very special purpose.

• Mysteron Burst test.

• @driftwood now that you say that. I noticed earlier in the week that Mysteron (V1) shines when doing macro detail.. I did some test shots of some plants and it was beautiful.

• @elementalracer Nice video..I see you shot the video on the 16GB 45MB card.. Were you shooting with the Mysteron default bitrate 24H=176000000 ?

• Quantum X (v4d Orion) Dark Matter v3 Recorded on SanDisk 8Gb Extreme pro Canon FD 55mm f1.2 Aspherical @ ~f2.8 ISO 320 and 1/50 shutterspeed You can also download the original MTS file from vimeo (3,8 gig)

• The quality of Mysteron Burst Mode is outstanding. I just had a look in AE : the red channel is clean as the green one and the blue one is very very good too. Huge improvement over the past patches/matrices... Thanks Nick and keep up the good work !

• @spacewig Some say he watched the lord of the rings sixty twelve times and he was pissed off at gandalf for stealing his idea for a halloween costume. all we know he's called the stig. @driftwood DUDE!!!!! Mysteron Burst Mode is the BT!!!! WOOOW... Now mate, PLeazzzzzz make it happen to be usable for longer time, even at slight lower rez... I was an addict of Orion v9b and prefered it over Sedna but this... this is a different league... it feels like when you've been dating the lil town pretty girl for a long time and feel that you're the thing but then she dump you, you move to NYC, randomly meet Tyra Banks, start dating her and realizing that now you have the real thing...

• @driftwood shot a web promo for a new product on mysteron. will hopefully post next week once product launches. just saw a test of mysteron burst - holy crrrrap. great stuff! first time i really saw the sharpness and cadence stand way out from the other patches. is mysteron burst VBR or CBR?

• VBR obviously!

• terry2

Nun, die 28nikkor schön, aber die 28 Zeiss ZF2 2,8 ist besser.< no, no, no!!! not better - just more expensive

• @adamquesada Yeah, I left everything as is on the settings.

• @lumina can you point me to a good adapter for the Nikon Nikkor 28mm F 2.8 for the GH2?

Just order the Nikon Nikkor 28mm F 2.8

• Is this extremely strange streamparser report for mysteron 24L any cause for concern?

00027_Frames.PNG
    746 x 398 - 150K
  • How many times do I have to say this. L setting is rendered useless as everything is set for the H setting. This is NOT a setting for economists. @Jspatz Think about it logically. If I primed the setting so that you could use the L setting properly it would be detrimental to the shared H (High) setting. I have done other settings in the past for H & L. Sedna, Mysteron etc... ARE NOT made for the L setting. You may however get good results but Ive not even looked at it.

• @Tifose - I've got the Voigtlander and could recommend it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/658892-REG/Voigtlander_BD332A_Micro_4_3_to_Nikon.html

Solid build quality. It's the only nikon adapter I've had though, so worth searching around and looking for other recommendations too (and checking price, i'm sure there's cheaper adapters out there than that.)

• @driftwood

Perhaps stupid question, but: Does mysteron burst have non-burst in the L setting? I need to try this stuff out.. :)

• Hi @RRRR. There is no non burst mode on L. The frame limits are set so that i frames dont go virtual and will peak at 900k for the H setting. The same should happen for the L setting but you will see a range of quality from peaks to lows as in the graphic uploaded by jspatz. Why does this happen? Because the bitrate allcated to the L setting is much lower than H and is forcing a lower data rate - its like a battle to use the max amount of bitrate to frame limit available but only upto the allocated L setting bitrate. Hence the stepped nature of the graphic. It is NOT cadence.

• @Butt @onionbrain I think there was a misunderstanding (typo error). I meant 28 ZF2 2 and not 2.8... they are two different lenses and the 2.8 version is not good. The 28 ZF2 2 is a more suited lens for cinema usage on gh2 than the great 28 2.8 AIS nikon. The best is, however, the Nikon 28 1.4 (which is so expensive and hard to find)... For the 50, I would duclos the summilux 1.4 or, cheaper, buy the duclos 50 macro 2, it has less than 1% distortion in the gh2 viewing area. Hope it helps. But this should be on lenses topic.

• @driftwood Nick, any scientific reason why some people say that Sedna handle davinci cc better than Mysterion? Or just a matter of exterior factors as camera setup during shooting?

• Just did a test with Mysteron Burst and got a minute plus on 24p and 60p with a Sandisk 64gb 95Mbs. If you have the card - this is awesome!

• I havent seen test results from Graders yet for Mysteron though some experienced ones say Sedna grades better.

• @terry2 Did you ever use a Voigtlander 25mm 0.95??? It's one of the best Micro Four Thirds Lens ! http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Voigtlander+25mm&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

• @redbaron did you test it with moving objects? Or camera moving? @driftwood wait, I have one or two ideas I'd like to test with mysterium... And then we'll see about grading... I'll PM you the results, flying to Miami tomorrow but shooting with the alexa there... Just, Nick, smooth -2-2-2-2, always? Marco

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions