Personal View site logo
GH2 Cake v2.3: reliability and spanning in 720p, HBR, 24p, and VMM at 2-2.5x stock bit rates
  • 609 Replies sorted by
  • You can't change the bit rate in Cake 2.0 just by changing the bit rate setting in PTool. It's much more complicated than that.

Using 24L or HBR will get you around 90 minutes on a 32-GB card. To get 2 hours in Cake you'll need more memory cards or a bigger card. If you need lower bit rates than Cake delivers, I'd suggest CBrandin 44M in 24L mode, which is supposed to span.

• @Brian_Siano

If i were you I'd avoid any risk... Use stock firmware or find a rock-solid long-tested hack.

• I'm using Cake for an upcoming event, but I'd like to lower the bitrate-- mainly to be able to capture a two-hour event on my 32gig card. If I changed it to 42 or even 32 mbps, would this affect the ability to capture long takes?

• @duartix sorry to hear about your dis-adventure, but so far so good with my Samsung SD :-)

• @rikyxxx That card is one of the best values going around for high bitrate settings. I've benchmarked a golden one I had writing at a solid 18MB/s. It holds pretty well on up to 100Mbs settings. Unfortunatelly it developed a write lock complex. I exchanged it for another one but it had the same complex. I decided to return it also but lost it that very same day... They will also loose that shiny film cover pretty quickly.

• login first

• Sounds really good, I'd like to try Cake 2.0! I might be the biggest idiot ever, but I can't download the patch! Not from my Mac and not from my PC. I can only download the image... Something wrong with the link?

• FInally I've upgraded my GH2 to Cake 2.0 (from 1.2).

Tested (very quickly) both HBR and 1080i50, with and w/o EX tele mode.

It looks like HBR/1080i filesize has been reduced by about 10%, compared to ver. 1.2, but IQ improved!!!

Thanks @balazer for your great work :-)

• Excellent, Balazer, thank you so much.
    I finally found a reliable and robust patch. I have bad card class 10. Write 9.5mb/s. No problems with spanning using 1080 24H & 24L.
    No problems with spanning using FH.
    FSH-not span .
    HBR-not tested.

• It was a SanDisk Ultra 16gb 30mb/s. Upon further inspection it seems to only be a Class 6 card... crap. That's probably why...

• Thanks for the feedback. Glad it worked, though I'm curious about the write errors using 30 MB/s cards. I do all of my testing with SanDisk Extreme HD Video 30 MB/s cards. What card were you using, exactly, and which video mode? And which card did you use that didn't have errors?

• Just shot an hour long event with Cake 2.0 in EX tele mode. Worked great!!! Although it wouldn't record to my 30mb/s cards though. Got write errors after about 20 seconds.

Oh yea, and Premiere opens the spanned files with no problem. Final Cut wouldn't recognize them for life of it...

• @balazer tested even on GF2, works great, thank you

• Thanks for the reports, Ashun and CurtisMack. It's nice to think that I'm not just blowing smoke with my reliability claims. ;) Great looking video, Ashun.

• Corrected. Just got back from Galveston, where I ran comparison of latest versions of Flowmotion and Cake. Both look great on surf breaking on the seawall, even with a slow pan. 720/60P runs with no problem on Cake and Flowmotion. Ex Tele works on Cake, but not Flowmotion. Intend to use Cake as my default settings. Nice work, Balazer.

• Cake 2.0 NEEDS PTtools 3.64 (and thus FW1.1) because it makes important uses of Scaling Tables and GOP Tables.

• arvidto and fecha, thanks for your replies. I really appreciate the info on the subject. I'm going to upload CakeV.2 with 1.1 firmware. I'm currently using CakeV1.1 with this firmware.

• @willianaleman I use firmware 1.1, but im not sure if Cake 2.0 will work on older GH2 firmware :-)

• @willianaleman I'm sure feha knows which firmware used, just didn't know For Certain if 1.1 is required. definitely works with firmware 1.1 - see release history in 2nd post here.

• feha, thanks for your response. Then, since you said: "I think," does this means that you are not sure what version of the firmware you were using during the test with Cake V2 in your recent video posted above? Thanks once again for your reply.

• @willianaleman yes, i think it needs firmware 1.1 GH2

• Is Cake 2.0 working with firmware 1.1? Thanks in advance

• @Ashun

Great video, great work.

• Film modes test with Cake 2.0