Personal View site logo
GF2 Stable Settings
  • 614 Replies sorted by
  • I too, like gameb looking for ways to reduce noice as well. I'll try the My Color settings.

• @JayB38 if you adjust the picture settings in my colour, you loose the manual shutter and aperture mode. So as far as I understood, choose picture adjust in photo mode, choose your picture settings and then choose manual video mode.

• @gameb. I'll try that out. I also select RAW for shooting as well. Just still in the learning stages. Thanks

• The picture adjust setting on default custom 1 (p) setting removes noise better than custom setting with NR +2 on C2(M). How bizzare...

• There are a few strange things about that camera: Now when I shoot in 720p, put the ETC modus on and record it, everything is fine. But in the last days, what happened when I pushed record, the image would jump even more closer, like a double etc mode. Now it stopped doing that, don't ask me why, in the meantime I was changing a few settings.

• gameb, when the gf2 refuses to switch to ETC mode in 720p, just power off/on and it will work again. I found this out a while ago went shooting the moon with 2400mm equiv.

And no you don't lose any manual control you had before, it's the way the GF2 works. You can lock shutter and focus, but there appears to be trigger points of exposure where the camera unlocks if you go beyond or below a set range. I'm assuming the range tied to the compensation range. You gain some control using ND filters. http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2628/gf2-flicker-reduction-behavior#Item_7

• @rambo the GF2 didn't refuse to go to ETC mode in 720P. It went correctly to ETC mode in the first place and then after pressing record it jumped to an even closer image, like from amplification factor 3.9 to 5.0. I read about that somewhere in these days before, don't remember where. It happened to other people before. That was pretty bothering, because you couldn't really frame your picture precisely. But now its gone. Don't ask me why.

I don't understand how you adjust settings in "my color" and still use manual mode "M". When I adjust settings in "my color" and then switch to "M", my settings are gone.

• gameb, read your manual page 69 for the answer re > still mode being smaller than 720p in ETC mode.

Sorry i gave you a bumsteer about the "My Color" in M mode, i have a custom mode C1 setup for a specific purpose that has MyColor Mode adjustments included as part of that Custom setting i was incorrectly using that to answer your question. Yes, My Color is disabled in M mode, you are correct.

BUT.... you can use ""Picture Adjust"" setting in the REC mode to set the contrast, sat, NR and sharp. It appears as a spanner Icon top LHS of the LCD during movie recording in Manual mode. SEE page 137 of the Manual.

• This thread is about the stable settings, but I have another problem, the HDMI out does not work while recording so I can't use external monitor ...

• @feha that's not a bug...

• @stonebat , I know is not bug :-) but is bugging me ... Maybe start new thread ...

• @PVDOG played with your patch some more today, was foggy this morning, and it started burning off, slapped on a old school 70-220mm F3.5 (140-440mm with crop) and decided to see what I could find at a local pond. pretty impressed with this patch great motion and detail.. this lens isnt that sharp so i would not let that be the judge of sharpness.. for a $250 camera this thing rocks.. only downfall now is no manual controls.. hopefully that will come. I also tested spanning tonight for a sunset shot, worked flawlessly, filled up a cheap 16gb class 10 transcend card with no issues.. This bitrate allows for good record times good quality and really with the sensor being less sharp than a GH2 seems like a perfect match for the GF series.. Today's extreme telephoto stuff:

• Here is the test I did for a time lapse at sunset with pvdogs patch. wanted to test spanning .. worked perfectly spanned 2x flawlessly.. I also wanted to see how bad the auto ISO adjustment was.. yes it adjusts for avalable light , butdoes it rather smoothly, no huge jumps in iso like some other cameras I've attempted to use, didn't expect this to even come close to as good as this did.. it adjust very finely over time.. The end long fade was added in post.. but worked for my needs for sunset/sunrise time lapses.. Got pretty grainy after that , but was still perfectly exposed, but probably at 32 billion ISO.... lol

If Vitality and team gets manual controls figured on this, were going to be so happy with these little cheap cameras.

• Earlier pond footage graded for a "over punched" film look. contrasty and saturated.. I shot it at I believe -1 on everything.. for flat footage.. didn't spend much of time, just found a look I liked and applied it to all the clips.. only adjusted contrast and saturation.

• @Ebacherville Good footage. Manual setting is needed after all

• Here is my latest test GF2, Cake 2.0 settings, night shot ...

• I think that until Vitaity, does not come with the option of manual video, try all these settings, it is a bit useless ..

• @GF2/3 owners!

Since I don't own any of the GF line cameras, I'm recruiting testers who are interested in help me test 720p Timebuster settings: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/51292#Comment_51292

Thanks for your time.

• @pvdog, finally stressed your patch to breaking point.. well it didn't break, as in stop recording. But was able to throw enough at it to make it do some major blocking .. the high motion shots of the water (like the first shot in this video, look at the sky , major blocking .. however only on those shots with massive motion detail.. the other shots that have sky are not blocking .. now that being said, considering I tested this on older class 6 cards and one was a class 4 I think.. and it worked perfectly, its still a great compromise for quality and reliability even on slow cards. In my quest for perfection of the GF2, I think I might go to a higher bitrate patch and higher class cards .. Might try cake 2.0 as feha posted above.. but still like your patch allot.. great performance even on slow cards unless you kill it with extreme motion shots that have chunks of non motion in them. Youtubes reencode lessens it , in my original footage, and 35mbps YT upload, its very apparent.

• Just loaded Driftwood's Mysteron on my GF2.. did a test clip.. no record errors.. did a test shot, averages 54,000,000 in low light with a 50mm 1.4, looks great.. This is my next test subject for hacks on the GF2 , and a GF3 once it arrives. I was using a fairly cheap class 10 16gb Transcend card.. further testing tomorrow.

• @Ebacherville

These are stream frames from Mysteron posted by driftwood http://www.personal-view.com/talks/uploads/FileUpload/ef/2408936b64fc25841039e5db70377d.png

These are stream frames from pvdgo's settings posted by me http://www.personal-view.com/talks/uploads/FileUpload/1f/753041f8833cf41fbe59315eed36ba.png

Notice the 'health' of P & B frames compared to Mysteron.

• Wow, your correct I dropped the source file into a diffident program and the blocking is far diminished.. still slight.. but far better, attached is a still from raw footage.. I'm going to investigate this further.. could totally be my error. I think Vegas Pro has totally let me down once again..

Copy of pvdog still raw.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 424K
  • My gosh I'm totally dumb founded.. here is a render to QT uncompressed of that 10 second shot from my Vegas Pro timeline.. blocking is totally gone.. Sony HAS indeed screwed me again.. this 10 second clip in QT uncompressed is over 2.5gb.. WOW pvdogs patch is going back on my GF2.. And I'll figure out a better way to encode video for showing to everyone than Sony's own xdcam @ 35mbps... it is absolutely scary that sony's own format is totally messed up! I think I'll bring this to work tomorrow and drop try it in final cut at 2560 x 1440.. should total prove it as a solid patch. my god totally unreal!

• I have looked at this clip every way possible, it still has blocking in all, but less than the XDCAM format.. it is in the source clip.. still will continue with some other patches.. pvdogs is very good.. remember were talking about a $250 camera body here.. even uncompressed you still see it, maybe its just me now that I've seen it, and i know exactly where to look for it.. posted the YT file with a challenge to find this downfall.. no one has spotted it yet. May fool the masses. I still love this patch great video can be had from it.

• Ebach - what version of Vegas are you running? If it is the new version, it is pretty shocking that it worsens these problems.