Personal View site logo
First video looks severely interlaced (Cake 2.0)
  • Ok, so I just installed the Cake 2.0 patch on my GH2 (from 1.1 firmware) and took a quick test video of some cars driving past. The result...is a mess. It looks like some kind of interlacing disaster. It was taken in manual movie mode, FSH, program exposure. I've attached a screenshot showing the problem, taken from VLC playback. StreamParser reports that this is Mode = 1080/24pW (60i Wrapper). I don't know why it's 24p or why it is in a 60i wrapper, and I don't know if the interlacing error is caused by the container format not being recognized or what. Can someone explain to me where I've gone wrong? Also, how do I get 60p output?

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • Everything is ok, just turn on the de-interlacing playback filter on VLC (look for it in the "video" menu) or de-interlace the footage with one of the many many tools that do it.

• P.S. By the way read the GH2 manual more carefully :-)

• Hm, looks like the interlacing nightmare is gone by just running it through VideoStudio with a 30p frame-based output. I'm still confused about why StreamParser is reporting 24p in a 60i container though. FSH is supposed to be 60i, but where's the 24 coming from?

• Streamparser is wrong about that clip. FSH mode is 1080i. To get 60p playback of 30i footage in VLC, enable video de-interlacing and set the de-interlace mode to bob or linear.

• So I've been playing with transcodes to h.264/MPEG-4 30p and it seems like there's two different approaches to de-interlacing these videos. One blurs the two fields together, resulting in a distinct double image look that looks decent in motion but fairly bad in single frames (Sony Vegas, VLC show this). The other combines them into a single crisp frame (Handbrake does this) but seems to be jittery in motion, like the cars are jumping slightly back and forth as they pass by. Am I understanding this correctly? Is this always going to happen with 1080/60i video?

Accurate motion capture is of great interest to me, so I'm wondering if maybe I should stick to 720/60p for those situations.

• One of the best software de-interlacers out there is RS Fields Kit by revisionfx.

• If you want to keep the smooth motion convert the 60i to 60p in Sony Vegas and store on a hard drive. I do this for playback on my Western Digital Media Player via HDMI to a Plasma TV. Smooth motion, no jaggies.