Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood : Can't this initial rate control issue be solved by using a higher Initial Quantizer? Or does it only work for 1080 modes?

• @Zaven13 I look forward to checking it out. Sanity 4 came out recently Ralph_B started the thread earlier this week.

• Does Canos majoris is going to be the a max detail patch like Sedna ???

• @thepalalias Sorry if I missed a page, but is their any reason for not raising the audio bitrate from 192kbs other than in camera playback? I'm going to do some scenic stuff tomorrow, and though audio won't be crucial, if their are no ill affects I would just assume take it up to 448.

• @driftwood, I figured I would try out pal and the 720 50p since you mentioned it works better.. however my camera said "cannot record file number exceeded". I reset the file counter (I think) and still the same. Is this normal, and how do I get around it to use Pal?

I will be away for a day or 2 so no more questions for a bit, I promise !

• This is a short piece with two different color grades using the GH2 and the Driftwood Dark Matter V3 Hack. Loving the detail and the gradability of the driftwood settings.

I plan on shooting a little narrative piece coming up, and really wanted to test looks out at the location. Turned out nicely.

Lenses used:

Lumix/Leica 25mm 1.4 Tokina 11-16mm Canon 300mm L 2.8

Enjoy!

ps: im not a plus member so download the 1080p file! still not as good as the raw but better and in 1080p. detail is much better in full 1080

• @mee If you want to try out PAL from an NTSC camera or NTSC from a PAL camera its easy. Ensure ptools menu in 'Movie Related Restrictions' so that PAL <> NTSC Menu' is checked on any of the settings first. Flash bin with that setting checked to a firmware and upload in camera. Then goto menus in camera as seen in pictures below and ensure you set the Video Out to the Country type (PAL or NTSC) as desired. Shut off cam, turn back camera on and then format card to that country setting and youre good to go. Done

pal to ntsc or vice versa.png
    378 x 199 - 14K
    pal to ntsc or vice versa - on camera menu - video out 1.png
    582 x 379 - 294K
    pal to ntsc or vice versa - on camera menu - video out 2.png
    620 x 382 - 308K
  • @JPB1138 Nice shots. :)

• @mee The only side effects are the aforementioned lack of in camera playback and (for patches that are right on the edge of working, sometimes it pushes it barely over the edge, but that is unusual).

Also, the bitrate for audio is misreported in some applications but this does not affect editing or playback.

• @JPB1138 Lovely shots - really inventive angles. Beautiful.

• "Latest: Finalising Cluster v2 and the first of Canis Majoris today." yes sun is shining brighter than ever. VK and ND thank you again the whole world gonna see soon what you guys have seen long time ago.Amazing work!!!

• @JPB1138 wow amazing shots JP...which tripod are you using the movements are super smooth???

• @LumixUser thx, it goes orion/sedna etc. i am mumbling a bit but describing each shot as it goes by. Also the sedna is punched in like a millimeter.

• @driftwood is "VY Canis Majoris" going to be something better than sedna/orion ??? i did a very long outdoor test today??? sedna is superb used Aq1A and will edit it and upload it in you tube for our the members,..thank you for such an amazing patch,..sedna does well in after effect / premiere than vegas pro 11,..

• @thepalalias i did a very long test using internal mic + sedna in traffic today,..setting it all up to upload it in youtube,...hopefully tmrw,..superb audio hack,..thx

• I did some testing in between storms with Zaven13's Sanity/Sedna settings. 720/60 straight out of the camera.

• @driftwood Looking forward to Canis Majoris!

• @rajamalik Glad it is working well for you. I have been shooting stills the last couple days and look forward to getting back to video again soon.

• Bee footage- Stock lens 14-140mm and Driftwood Seda. Hand held on full zoom and teleconverter mode! 24 cinema mode about 80Mpbs, other setting were crashing due to my 30Mbps card. Looks fantastic in 1080p

• Ok here's the footage I was talking about above"

• After trying out the different Sedna options, I can't help but revert to Orion v4b, I freakin love that patch and I don't even know why. For some reason, it just seems like it produces the best motion and detail combination of the Driftwood's patches. Here's a quick test with a super crummy lens that was covered in dirt and practically falling apart, but it turned out okay.

• Finally I found some time to make some macro shots with Sedna A Q1. I´m stunned with the quality. The detail, the noise... Wow. I´ve had some writing errors in ETC mode, but I knew they would occur. Here are three short test clips. Actually they say nothing about the hack, because of the compression. Please fill in the quality gaps with your own imagination. Before the hack I never thought of using 720p, now I love it.

• @L1N3ARX, I can see you have the same problems I do with all of these hacks/patches and I mean all. They produce amazing image quality but try and move the camera....oooof! Panning, even nice slow pans produce stuttered motion at some point in the motion. Some seem better than others. Have you tried "Driftwood Quantum X 'SpanMyBitchUp' v2b"?

• @L1N3ARX @edgenumbers

Would either of you mind posting comparison clips between the patches with the motion you prefer and those you do not? It might be helpful because I have not noticed the negative effect in any of the recent patches in the hundreds of clips I shot with them.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions