Personal View site logo
Opteka SteadyVid Pro
  • 38 Replies sorted by
  • I'll be posting a review in a few days comparing it to the Merlin... Anything specific you would like me to look for?

• Toronto2 ... yes the "pan wheel" I mention is referred to by Opteka as the "thumb stabilizer" as shown in first unboxing video @ 3:19. Also shown directly above the handle and below the universal joint in the photo close-ups by gh2sound (above).

Cordvision ... can you show closeups of any screws that could allow the Opteka to be dismantled? (i.e. what is "screw assembled" and what is "cast" metal/plastic ? On the handle, stage and counter-balance adjustment knob.)

• forget the opteka! what on earth is that crazy animatronic motion tracking crane in that video review???

• The whole gimbal section is removeable from the baseplate also - let me have a coffee and I'll post some pics :)

• @MichaelTorpey

please provide more information about that "Robot" crane, it's crazy ...

• The 4 screws under the mounting plate allow you to remove the gimbal and handle section - the handle is re-moveable from the underside of the gimbal also.

photo.JPG
    640 x 478 - 132K
    photo.JPG
    640 x 478 - 143K
    photo.JPG
    640 x 478 - 141K
    photo.JPG
    640 x 478 - 140K
  • Unfortunately I didn't have time to to a video review before I had to return the Opteka sabilizer (borrowed it), but I wrote an email to the manufacturer with the following suggestions that might be of interest to you...:

"I have quite a bit of experience with all sorts of stabilizers so I decided to test your new SteadiVid Pro stabilizer. It's pretty good but a few small improvements could really make a big difference.

Weights: If you would create the smallest weight (the one with the rounded edges) with a female thread, there would be much more options for balancing and it would make it possible to balance for light cameras which is currently very difficult. In fact, it's very difficult to balance for the Panasonic GH2 which is a very popular camera among indie filmmakers.

The gimbal works pretty well for the most part put the week spot is the pan ball bearing. It isn't smooth enough and gets even worse when the handle isn't held perfectly vertical. This could easily be fixed by using a better bearing or even 2-4 bearing on a longer shaft that goes into the handle. Currently, it's very difficult to get footage without your footsteps showing as little left and right pans in the footage. This is a deal braker for me.

Also, use two thumbscrews in place of the machine screws that tighten down the "arc" (like the Merlin does). Currently, when you adjust the length of the arc, there's always play in it.

These small improvement would bring it on par with the Merlin and even make it better in some aspects.

If you have any questions or would like me to explain the issues in more detail, let me know...."

• I have had it with stabilizers... I bought this thing off of eBay and tried forever to get it balanced. I got it balanced quite well and then placed it carefully on my couch. I came back and picked it up and it was all out of whack. I know these things are fidgety but I really don't have the time or patience for it. I am going to get a fig rig.

• I must have wasted a whole year fidgeting with stabilizers. This GH2 shooter Drew M, gets very steadycam like movement hand held:

Found the perfect must-have camera crane for the GH2 :) It appears at 1 min 50 sec

• @jleo In at least one of those videos he does state that post stabilization was used, making his claim of "100% handheld" a bit misleading. Of course you don't need a steadicam if you're willing to spend the time rendering out the wobbles in post

• @Jive Thanks. I missed that. I haven't had a chance to use AE Warp stabilizer effect yet.

• @Jive Indeed, artifacts can been seen at the sides if keep an eye on! I don't consider heavy digital stabilization to be the best solution.