Personal View site logo
Premiere Pro Sequence Settings for AVC Intra Footage
  • Apologies if this has been answered.

I read that @driftwood recommends you force premiere to interpret Intra hack footage as AVC Intra 100.

I'm sure there are advantages to this but I'm curious as what they specifically are.

Will an Intra timeline have better editing performance? Was I losing the intra frames entirely by using the DSLR or AVCHD setting?

And lastly, if I transcode to DNxHD (something else I've been toying with lately) - will the intra frames remain intact? Also if any of you transcode to DNxHD for use in something other than Avid, I'd love to know if you gain any performance advantages.

• 12 Replies sorted by
  • Simple. Keeps the stuff in the same Quant matrix! Use p2 AVC-INTRA mxf packaging and you can export from premiere/ fcp in these formats too.

• While AVC Intra is a good export format, almost all timelines work the same as long as the x and y dimensions are correct. I can work in an intra 24 or dslr 24 or 10 bit yuv 60i and bring in GH2 footage. Premiere operates the same. It may use meta information from your choice to inter operate with other components.

• I prefer working in INTRA format entirely with this stuff - and for that AVC Intra works well for me. But Jspatz is right you are not forced to do anything I reccommend.

• Thanks for the insight, guys.

• Can it be assumed that this hacked footage, besides looking much better, can be edited far more easily than the more demanding AVCHD codec?

Anyone have experience editing it on PP? Thanks.

• @Driftwood So, basically set project settings to P2 AVC-INTRA and import MTS footage, is this correct? And (for someone new to NLE work) what are the advantages over say HDSLR 24p settings?

• @jam for the INTRA stuff, yeah. Stay in INTRA (don't transcode to other settings) Thats what I do but there are loads of ways of doing it. I also use cineform of late... :-)

• I think that using Neoscene is the best solution. It "UPSAMPLE" 4:2:0 onto 4:2:2, that results in a better interpretation of the file by Resolve. @driftwood What I find disturbing, is that the cineform transcoded file is smaller than the original mts which makes me suspect a higher compression of informations.

• @terry2 Good point. Neoscene is very good.

• @driftwood hi, I am using your rocket v3 (thank you for your time and dedication to this), I am ready to update to orion4b when I get a good sd card, so far my class 10 is recording fine. My question is: I set my project on Premiere CS4 pro AVC intra 100 and the clips do not play smooth. I try also to convert on 5DtoRGB and same things happen, it ask me to render when I drop it on the time line. I do not believe the problem is my computer, since I try the 5DtoRGB in my old FC6 and it works fine. I ask about premiere setting because I was planing to get ColorGhear for after effects since Color for FC seems complicated. Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated, good luck with your work on the red channel.

• Whats the difference between regular intra import and intra 100? Also @terry2, you are sorta sending mixed signals... you say you think neoscene is best solution, but that it compresses your info? I been working with 5dtorgb but it seems to darken image a bit. In the end u still use Neoscene even with additional compression?

• @liquidify Every codec handle and optimize the compression in different ways, example, Orion v9b (my favorite so far) is about 140/150 Mbps but compressed with Neoscene is 90Mbps (in 4:2:2). I'm not a coder but a photographer and director, so I won't push myself into codec debates which I'm not deeply knowledgeable about, but visually Neoscene works well and it's superfast. But also 5dtorgb is good, just be careful about gammas because it gets tricky.