Personal View site logo
GH1 and GF1 hack problems
  • Hello, I've tried to install the hacked firmware for my GH1 and GF1 cameras. I'm finding it hard to get the kind of bitrates and high quality footage that others are getting.

I tried different patches, mainly Lpowell's patches for both the GF1 and GH1.

AVCHD usually stays at around 16mbit/s with terrible mud / compression artifacts. None of the patches I have tried seem to render AVCHD video @ the high quality with bitrates around 50+mbit/s

MJPEG I have gotten up to about 54mbit/s which is great, but still it's not as clean as I would want. I get a lot of JPEG "boxing" (you know where pixels are converted into giant pixels) and there seems to be some kind of "Unsharp Mask" filter applied to the footage, even though I've set the Film mode to be -2 in sharpness.

4:2:2 color doesn't seem to work, footage is reported to have 4:2:2 color sampling, but the actual footage doesn't look like 4:2:2 footage, and color keying is a nightmare!

So how can I get the AVCHD footage up to the quality where it is clean and free of mud / artifacts? And how can I remove the "sharpening filter" ? And if possible, how can I get true 4:2:2 sampling?

Any input/help would be greatly appreciated

• 1 Reply sorted by
  • I'm using the 20mm f1.7, and the kit lens 14-42 f3.5 - 5.6 Sandisk Extreme Class 10 cards

Here's a picture that shows the problems: Notice the green artifacts near the edge, and the light "halo" around the edge.

GH1-MJPEG-Artifacts.jpg
    750 x 610 - 60K
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions