Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 2: Sedna A, B, C
  • 1030 Replies sorted by
  • @5thwall Michael, that was a fantastic demo of Sedna Set A Q20 settings. Thanks for that. Good work. AQ1 will push it even more for detail but will work the cpu and sdcard harder. Let me tell you all my initial testing was done on Q20 and I'm very pleased with it - its almost a proper truly measured AQ2. AQ1 with Sedna is like AQ3-4 of old but finely tuned and more balanced Q.

Note that Etc mode will add around 20M+ more bitrate to the settings hence why I have left the bitrate settings alone to compensate. My own tests with Etc mode prove that Sedna is more noise free than before. Not totally gone, but much better.

• GERONIMO - SEDNA

Test Patch Driftwood sedna A AQ1 Thanks to Nick Driftwood and Vitaly Kiselev

(I would do a second test of Sedna A AQ1. I made a mistake when configuring ..)

• @driftwood thanks! question about the black levels again - does the current matrix push the blacks further to the mids? Is that even possible with the hack? I noticed that on all shots the black levels were milky, which was great for color correction, so I'm happy with it. It also could have been because of the light refraction due to the haze or even the lens (which probably needs a cleaning right about now!).

• Low light test of 24p with Panasonic 25mm 1.4. The dark room in the background brings out the noise. However, the noise levels are a vast improvement. Even with a very dim light there is hardly any noise.

The very last clip is 720 p that has issues. When it works it looks great, so I hope to have a usable 720p to avoid having to load different firmware settings for each shoot.

• proaudio4, the table top lighting, cadence file. outstanding.

• @spacewig The river weeds are for eating.

• I am extremely sorry to bother everyone busy experimenting the patches, but could you please take a moment and answer my question that I am posting for the third time? There is a half a second silence at the start of each clip. Everyone seems preoccupied with the quality of video, but audio is also part of it. Is there a way to fix the silence problem? I hope the third attempt won't be ignored too. Thanks.

• I'm not experiencing this, @!uzland . Try converting the files to something else and recheck to make sure the gap is still there. I'm thinking it may be your PC/Mac.

• @rafa Interesting. At the risk of going off topic: what is it called, and how is it eaten, i.e. salad, dry snack, smoothie, etc? (You can pm me the answer, very curious as to what would inspire a man to don some pink footwear to handpick a meal)

• Here's the Sedna A stuff I shot today. Vimeo compression is really awful, so download the original to see the quality.

• Test Patch Quantum X (v4B Orion) - GH2

For me this patch is very very good!

• shot on my new gh2 and 20mm 1.7 lumix lens just got in the mail today. a bit of color and some burn on top. patch is Sedna C Q20. Reduced to 640x360 from 1920x1080 even before upload, and still manages to look pretty great w/ an old soft 16mm home movie feel. best meal I've had all week.

• @Oedipax Wow - that's beautiful!

@Braamokiev It would be great to have the "vimeo" word in your embedded player so I can watch full-screen - unless there's something particular to my browser (Firefox) when I click on full-screen on YouTube / VImeo embedded videos on the Personal-view site it doesn't actually play full-screen. The only way I can do it is to view it on its native page, but without the Vimeo word to click on, I can't do that. I'd love to see your footage properly!

• RMB over video, then "Watch on Vimeo", available?

• @Mark_the_Harp All you have to do is right click on it and select "Watch on Vimeo" as the top option. :)

EDIT: WhiteRabbit said it first. I'm slow. :)

• Well, b**ger me, so you can! I never thought of that...thanks both! D'oh!

• Hello Mark, ok ;-)

@Mark_the_Harp

• Nice work. I hope everyone using and watching these are making a contribution and not just expecting something for nothing.

• Any idea whats the best settings for White Balance

• @Tifrose a gray card! Manual White Balance.

• But not when you're comparing the patches. :)

Manual White Balance changes when you switch patches (clears all 4 slots) so you have to use one of the presets if you're trying to get the most consistent comparison.

I've tried the gray card method and (while great for matching between shots) it's not great for matching between different patches for the same shot.

• Any reports of failures to span on Senda (any setting) at 24h? My tests show it fine on sandisk 95 mbps cards (which I somehow now own four of). But just thought I'd put out feelers to see if anyone had any other experience... kinda embarrassing to stop an interview while you change firmware, so better safe than sorry. Thanks again Nick. Wish I could post all the great footage I'm getting on this million dollar + doc but of course its embargoed.... but one day... one day.... and there will be a huge thanks in the credits for you vitaliy and chris.

• @the palalias, is that true even if you stand mount a gray card in fixed lighting conditions and rebalance after installing a new patch? I've found the # Kelvin balance varies from camera to camera a little bit so I would hesitate to recommend it for patch comparison.

• @thepalalias I've only ever tested patches by loading consecutive patches on a single camera so I can't really provide useful data on multi-camera testing. You're saying that loading (for instance) the tungsten white balance doesn't give you the same WB settings on two GH2s if you switch the same lens between them?

Or are you referring specifically to the white balance where you define your setting numerically?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions