Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 2: Sedna A, B, C
  • 1030 Replies sorted by
  • Would be great if someone could explain simply what Sedna does better than Orion for example, for us who aren't that good understanding all the hack-terms.

Like, do you get more details using Sedna rather than Orion? Is Sedna better when it comes to grading and other post productions? Is Sedna the best patch in general right now? What more is improved in Sedna?

Think this would be helpful for me and many more who is kind of new to this stuff.

Thanks!

• @davidhjlinberg

Go by what you see and compare, it's all very subjective. I'm flat out at work at the mo, but I will be playing with Sedna very soon. As Nick Driftwood said earlier...even after his mammoth test of Sedna he still needs the community to chip in and test away...the old patches are still great so don't be afraid to use them.

@driftwood, my hat off to you yet again! Loving your work...

• @davidhjlindenberg: I agree with you. I´m fascinated by the latest developments, but I´m getting confused by all those terms. It would be very helpful, if someone could post something like a simplified description of the latest patches.

@ignatius: I see. If the differences are that subtile, I will have to compare the latest patches and see it for myself.

• @ignatius Yes of course, but still it's hard to know exactly what has improved when just testing and not know exactly what to look for. Then it's better to hear people who actually knows what has been improved to explain.

• @davidhjlindberg Sedna = orion, just another matrix.
    The way i see it is...
    Before Darkmatter 1,2,3 and now with sedna 1,2,3 just a evolution whats getting better and better.

I just put the Sedna A (all to detail) in my own settings.
    The picture looks more clean in the darker spots, and high iso noise looks better (better in post editing to remove)

• @driftwood, Some initial un-scientific testing - GH2, Sandisk SDXC 64GB, 95MB/s. HBR recording only (25p)

Loaded Sedna B. Looks great! Thank you. File won't wrap using Clipwrap. I am using Panasonic AVCAM importer plugin for Quicktime. Spans 1 x 4.29GB file but stops recording after the 2nd.

Loaded Sedna A. Crashes Quicktime 7 due to a problem with AVCAM importer. Can view the file with VLC.

Perian is not installed.

• @mozes Hm, so Sedna just performs better in low light than Orion? But in daylight, it's the same? (I assume Matrix is a term of different light conditions?)

• Nick, great work as always, thank you!:]

slightly OT, I noticed you've got yourself a 45-175 recently. How are you finding this lens, esp. compared to 14-140... Thx!

• Thanks for the hard work Nick! The Sedna setting look great! Going to try these out this evening :)

• @davidhjlinberg i am no pro but from what i see the main difference between orion and Sedna is the way the sensor is interpreting image. From my humble point of view Orion gives very strong details in the shadow/dark areas of an image whereas Sedna seems to use more details in everything that is highlights...Overall i prefer the look it gives me, blacks are still there but it seems like highlights are so good looking that it pleases my eyes more, but i think it depends on the type of image you are looking for, the lens you are using etc...

Also from what Nick wrote before he worked on the red channel a lot, on my side it helps a lot making the greens smoother, i'm not sure why...but the overall image looks better to me, for what i want and like to do.

So yes it becomes now a question of subjectivity, i migth use Orion for a Predator type of movie while I'll use Sedna more for a Science of sleep type of movie (Michel Gondry)

• I am getting half a second of a silence at the beginning of each clip when I log and transfer (transcode) it to ProRes HQ format. Any idea why?

• @driftwood thank you again, when are you starting to receive donations for your movie project? I have to do further recording but so far Sedna C Q20 is working on a Transcend class 10 card with no apparent problem.

• @brudney X Lens 45-175: I'm beginning to like it. I love the video power zoom. Its quite sharpe but if you expose well enough it's as good as the 14-140. Ive got so many lenses now its getting ridiculous.

• I have put the sedna a matrix in my own settings.
    i take a shot with total wrong camera settings.
    iso 500, shutter 1/4000 , F5.6 and lens on 14mm (olympus 14-150).
    And it just still looks good...
    Sedna makes a BIG differences with almost standard bitrates, really impressive!

M6-Sedna_00006_Frames.PNG
    746 x 398 - 148K
    M6-Sedna_00006[15-31-48].PNG
    1920 x 1088 - 2M
  • @AlexManta Thanks! That's a perfect explanation!

• I love you Driftwood.

Before to load the Sedna, I wan't to share this last clip shot with the Rocket v.2. I think that the detail is unbeatable. Driftwood Quantum Rocket v.2. Lumix pancake 14/48. Shutter 1/50. Smooth 4 x -2. Sorry I can't afford Vimeo Plus to upload HD, but in the COW can be seen full quality, just chose the size and enable HD: http://reels.creativecow.net/film/pink-on-an-underwater-grass-plantation

• @Rafa This is amazing!

• 24p works fine. 720 SH and H both record 80,000-90,000 bitrate. So how should I lower this to prevent read error?

The patch says Video Bitrate FH/H = 7200000

• hmm..one of my Class 10 Cards cant read the GH2 now...with the AQ2 Max Sedna...all other are ok (Adata 32 GB / "no memory Card")

• Has anyone tried Sedna B AQ1 720p SH?

• Tried out Sedna AQ1 'B' patch. 25p apppears unstable. Max recording time I got was 12 minutes. Recording times varied from 1 to 12minutes. Shot with both Voigtlander and Zeiss primes, 1/50th shutter, 320 ISO. Slow pans of well-exposed outdoor foliage. Not a criticism of this patch as I'm salivating over how well it performs at 24p. Any fellow 25p users tried out Sedna yet? Any idea if and when a stable HBR version will be available?

spupload1.jpg
    1671 x 686 - 177K
  • I've lowered the SH and H to 75,000 (75000000) and 65,000 (65000000) yet it only lowered the recorded 720 bitrate to from 88,000 - 92,000 to 84,000 - 88,0000. I suppose I try lowering them to 60,000 and 50,000.

• @islanders66 I tried to mix Sedna B with Cluster, change i p b as shown in previous post by Driftwood. Transcend class 10 card still shown error reading because of high bitrates

• Tried out Sedna AQ2 A, B and C in 60p sh mode all stopped recording with write speed error. Sedna Q20s work fine in 60p sh.

Quantum 9b 60p settings have been very stable for me, so now the question is...Sedna Q20 vs Quantum 9b for 60p.

I use Sanddisk 32g 30mbs cards.

• I tried Sedna AQ1 B with Sandisk Extreme HD 32GB 30mbs. 24P modes and HBR recorded OK but 720p60 SH and 1080i60 FSH failed with recording errors in less than 10 seconds. I also noticed the volume of the audio with the new settings is lower than the stock audio.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions