Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 2: Sedna A, B, C
  • 1030 Replies sorted by
  • @Driftwood Thank you for the kind words. I think we are all looking forward to the chance to contribute to your movie project, even if only some small amount, to say thank you for all the hard work that you have been doing in the last year to advance the GH2 settings. It is greatly appreciated. :)

• +1 /\/\/\

• *** NEWS *** Release time ETA: Anytime in next few minutes. Just tidying up names etc...

• At the ready. :)

• Still waiting ;-)

• *** NEWS *** Sedna Matrix sets are now Up!

I hope you enjoy them as much as Driftwood Productions do. And remember, if they dont work on your card, lower the frame limits a 1000 or so at a time until they do.

This is an alternative set to the Dark Matter set or Orion's AVC Intra Matrix set. Let me know if you think they are better or worse for you ;-)

Oh and btw, Etc Mode, 80% mode is NOT my priority in these settings. Adjust away if you need these to work. panning is reported to work in 24p. Not confirmed on PAL or NTSC HBR modes or 720p. They are for other settings.

• Woohoo! Thanks @driftwood, I'm about to flash my camera.

• Flashing.....

• @driftwood when you say details, what exactly do you mean? like comparing A to B to C? is high detail added sharpness more like panny? or is it something different?

I am shooting a little short this monday and I will test them out on location, but just wanted to see what you are referring to.. its kind of hard to flash in between shots all day long for wides mediums and tights.. I have been using Dark Matter V3.. and was wondering what a comparison would be like.

• Thanks for the hard work Nick! Took Quantum X V2 on a trip to outback Australia with me for a self funded doco. Got great results! Looking forward to donating to both this site and your film project. Now to sip some wine and download...

• Awesome, I look forward having a play with these new settings, thanks for your hard work Nick an everyone else who was involved.

• @JPB1138 We've just been calibrating - they are fine/subtle adjustments - trying to kill off a bit of the noise overall, and improve luminance values in the reds and blue. These are NOT colour space settings - we would need 4:2:2 for that.

I particularly like @onionbrain 's STD profile recommendation now :-)

If you dont like them - go back to other matrices or stock!

• Thanks for the reply. I think you guys will like the stuff I've been working on with Orion.. Its really coming out nice... Probly post sometime next week.. Thanks for all the hard work. It makes my job easier in post production..!

• Looking for a little help navigating all of the awesome work that's been done. I use a SanDisk Extreme (30MB/s) card and I'm wondering which of Driftwood's settings are going to provide the highest quality while still providing spanning in 24p and HBR, etc, 80%, continuous autofocus, etc.? Can someone recommend a patch for that scenario?

• Thanks Nick, now testing.

• REMEMBER SHOOT REAL THINGS. Try manual lenses as well as Panny's. GIVE THESE MATRICES A GOOD WORKOUT & CHANCE BEFORE COMPLAINING. Give me real world feedback. And its there to experiment. If you want to push these Highly Quantised matrices further - try AQ 2, or 3. AQ4 and youre likely to get stopped recordings.

• @driftwood what is the diference between AQ1 and Q20?.. sorry, i think i missed something

• AQ1 attempts to quantise macroblocks to below 16 (roughly 10 to 16 Q). AQ2, 3 and 4 pushes them even further down. Lowest is best but can break recordings and produce massive variations in Q (parts of the picture blurry etc...)

Q20 is STOCK Quantise settings but they are being pushed by these new matrices - more bitrate.

Try the AQ1 settings first. ;-)

• I'm now having a beer...

Try out STD profile with -2,-1,-2,-2 we like :-)

• Will try now with a couple of different lenses. Enjoy that beer!

• Been out on our multi series delayed Xmas party (from 2010 lol) with lots of silver fox BBC video vets - and after several Steins in the Bierhaus they agreed - hell Vimeo is bad? - Virgin, Sky take your pic for re-compressed filthy end result

• The Matrix

In simple terms:-

Low Frequency detail is in the top left corner of a matrix. The numbers start low.

Mid Frequency details are found in the middle of a matrix. The numbers are reasonable.

Hi Freq detail is found towards the bottom right of a matrix. Note the numbers climb to much higher values.

To visualise Sedna's array of scaled matrices use Streamparser or elecard stream analyser demo (google elecard).

Overall: The matrix is there to work like a low pass filter. The more you work it lower, the more you keep the detail. The higher values - the more you compress the fuck out of the frequency range. Overkill in either way will murder the picture.

This is a VERY basic explanation. A full write up will appear in my AVCHD Dummy Guide which Ive nearly finished. Appearing on wiki soon.

• Probably a stupid question, but I can't find info on data rate and whether it's CBR or VBR. Or do those not apply the same with Sedna?

• @kingmixer Sedna is where the crossover of cbr and vbr begins and I did say that some of you will be suprised by the settings.

We work on deblocking next :-)

• Currently re-shooting a test similar to my last Orion vs DM1, 2, 3 one but this time with all of those plus Sedna A (both AQ1 and Q20).

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions