Personal View site logo
GH2 Slow Motion Music Video
  • Unfortunately the slow motion of the video did not come out so prominently. I had the singer sing his song 2x as fast, while I recorded at 60fps. Slowed it down, and then synced the audio. But even at 2 times the speed, the singer had a hard time singing the song. I couldn't imagine making the slow motion effect any bigger.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to improve this effect? Any general comments or criticisms? Feedback is welcomed and encouraged.

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • The difference is too big IMO. Very few singers will be capable of singing 2x speed with good articulation = it makes it look a bit lame (in the actual sense of the word). If I wanted the effect I would speed up the song 20% (shoot 30p, slow down to 24) or 50% rather than 100%.

• I would agree with RRRR, 100% might work with a slower song.

• Let the singer move in slow motion

• The effect would be much more noticeable with more movement in the video... busy city streets with people and cars around him, that sort of thing. As it is, he might as well just be moving slowly while singing the song at normal speed.

• Agree with mozes. The singer should sing twice as fast, but must try keeping his movement in slow motion. The resulting effect will be much more noticeable. Combinated with a slow song should be impressive

• Here are little things that "may" help.

• If you're letting the singer move in slow motion, there are a lot of options. If they dance, having them count the whole notes as quarter notes (so that every measure is a beat) can get you relaxed motion while having them stay in sync with the song. -- This approach sometimes works better if you can isolate the rhythm track(s) from the rest of the song. -- This approach may be less effective if you have a lot of meter changes but it does not require a constant tempo at all.

When it comes to singing, 30P to 24P (as mentioned above) tends to be enough and about the most that many can manage on an uptempo song.

• Also, remember you don't have to shoot the whole video at the same speed.

30P played at 24P for the bulk of the footage and then 60P (or more) on a dramatic sustain (or other seemingly static moment) can be effective if there is obvious movement in the scene.

• Liquids and long hair are your friends. Both of these things make movement more obvious.
    • If your singer isn't comfortable moving much while performing, you can try using (stable) camera movement instead (just watch for rolling shutter of course).
  • Also, in response to the posted video specifically, keep in mind that "quick" or complicated lyrics are a lot harder to render well for slow-motion. It's not a surprise that he had difficulty performing it at twice the tempo given the song. :)

• You also probably also noticed that it appeared as if Sean Malone had a much easier time in the chorus (which has clearer attacks and accents) then he did in the more legato verses.

• The singer could run, dance, jump with face away from cam, at a distance - anything, so long as a few close-ups are shown in slo-mo lip-sync.

@deturbanator - you're clever and on the right track!