Personal View site logo
GF2 Stable Settings
  • 614 Replies sorted by
  • Here's my testing of the hack so far. In Cinema/iA mode. Seems okay at 30+Mbps. Wish in low light conditions it could be more clearer -- maybe it's just me for a first timer.

PanGf2TestVid1.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 71K
    PanGf2TestVid2.jpg
    699 x 391 - 55K
  • @driftwood could you give us some more info on Cluster V1 patch?

Thanksssssssssssss

• Driftwood 'Cluster' v1 With Orion (AVC Intra adapted) Matrix VBR 'Settings' for ptools 3.64d- Released 9th March 2012 1am

(Panasonic firmware v1.11 & ptools 3.64d '200212' required). Settings for GH2 & GF2 Lumix cameras. Stats: Upto 72M 24p, Upto 36M HBR, Upto 36M 720p modes. (*All REC MODES include B frames)

INFO: Very simple Long GOP cluster of i/p/b frames principle, Low Bitrate, conservative settings for all round use with a nice matrix for Type 6 card users. After so many requests from non GOP1'ers to provide the Orion Matrix in a Long GOP configuration I settled on this one to hopefully satisfy the need. I like 12 GOP / 15 GOP for Long GOP - as far as editing goes and converters out there, the Ibbpbbpbbpbb (12 GOP PAL) and ibbpbbpbbpbbpbb (15 GOP NTSC) is the most universally supported GOP structure outside of Intra. A nice cluster of i/p and b frames and appropriately titled methinks. Hopefully, this will keep long duration seekers, type 6 card users, and HBR peeps happy.

Driftwood 'Cluster' v1 - Long GOP 12 for PAL users - 15 for NTSC - sete.zip
    HBR 30p Screen shot 2012-03-09 at 14.26.38.png
    2560 x 1440 - 3M
    720p60 Screen shot 2012-03-09 at 14.08.55.png
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
    Screen shot 2012-03-09 at 13.28.36.png
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
  • @videohq thanks a lot I try this one soon really thanks

• @videohq can you attach the ini/zip file? Thanks I am very interested in your setup.

• Got a GF2 today... Very exciting... Will donate asap... BTW, there's so many patches around it's hard to figure them all out... I'm after 720p PAL GOP1 AVCHD. Are any of the patches preferable over others, for my intended settings? Thanks!

• I try Quantum X v5b 'Pictoris' VBR of @driftwood for a while.

• Which setup do you use regularly after all? Although many things were tried, I am not decided easily.

• @holmes6 Thanks, will try. How many times have I run into these kinds of problems by not checking things exhaustively.

• gf2 + driftwood quantum x v5b sandisk 8gb 30mb/s kit lens 14-42 unedited footage:

all in all, it worked fine... there was 1 total system freeze though (after stopping recording, with file saving symbol on screen). i had to put out the battery to restart the camera... on-camera replay worked. replay on computer worked perfectly fine, but i was confronted with minor problems in editing process, which i haven't had before (kdenlive). spanning not tested. not analyzed by stream parser.

• @videohq Good analysis. The size of I frame is important.

You’d want taller I-frame on detailed static scene. GOP3 would require much higher bitrate to get tall I-frames. 55Mbps? 66? 77? I don't know.

On a fast moving scene, more motion blur would give fewer details. Shorter I-frame would do it. If you can stabilize the motion with a rig or a steadicam or whatever, you’d capture more details. Motion stabilization is critical for capturing good details.

About your test, I presume it was a hand-held. Then the tall P-frames look assuring. They are as tall as I-frames. The B-frames are shorter but only by half the height of I-frames. All I can say is that the newly hacked firmware’s AVCHD codec seems working beautifully with default GOP.

The 32Mbps settings give about 1 hour recording time on 16GB memory card. That’s good enough for me. I’m not saying it’s the best settings though. There gotta be some magical settings. But the final result is as good as the weakest link. The bitrate is no longer the weakest link ;)

• @seanpj - Select VGA, not WVGA... The ptool settings for 480p affect that setting and not the WVGA one.

• @fesem 1.6Mb is kinda low end for I-frame size. That's only 0.2MB.

@seanpj I don't know anything about 480p. I just followed the instruction from the timelapser.net. It worked for 720p.

• @stonebat Hi, I've played with the same setting (2fps) over the weekend. I have noticed one odd thing, though. No matter what setting I use for 480 mode (the second MJPEG setting) 480p30 width=1280 480p30 height=720 pTools (or camera) ignores it. I wanted to have 1080-2 on HB setting and 720-2 on WVGA, but I always end up with 848x480-2 no matter what I do. Where do I go wrong?

setc.ini
    364B
  • @hi1130, @gameb, @videohq please check below attachment.

@stonebat, i dont get you, you mentioned the I-frame will be low if gop3. But i get around 1.5mb for I-frame. Just for learning purpose, still new in video thingy, :)

• i'm seeing the the P-frame is much much lower than I-frame, even capturing movement. Not sure why, @@. I see videohq setting has high I and P frames.
    45mbps_GOP3_cbr.txt
    378B
    streamparser_gop3.jpg
    1297 x 683 - 298K
  • I just updated the 32Mbps settings with MJPEG timelapse settings.

See http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/42044#Comment_42044

Doubling bitrates might not sound super exciting, but I think we get a lot of gain from it. Sure the bitrates could be tripled, quadrupled, or more. But the extra gain would be very subtle. Instead of buying a couple of $200 memory cards, buying a video tripod, a shoulder rig, or a steadicam would improve the image quality. Amazon sells $59.99 chest stabilizer.

e.g. See Musgo Trailer. The director used @cbrandin's GH2 44Mbps that doubles GH2's default 24p bitrate.

Making of Musgo(part I). A bunch of cheap gears from ebay. Hey whatever works :)

Possibilities of making good stuffs with GF2? :)

• @chrischtili Nicely done.

@itscehris Why disappointed? It wouldn't be easy to set gop6 at 42Mbps.

• @stonebat What do you mean? The EOSHD GF2 HBR Patch Won't work on NTSC Camera's? I've that's the case I will be extremely disappointed. @chrischtili videos with the patch are the best GF2 Videos I've seen on the net. Keep posting more videos @chrischtili

• @gameb don't know why. Allowance was given on vimeo to embed videos here on personal-view. I changed the code..now at least the links are available.

• 45Mbps gop3 settings really make no sense. I-frame size would be very low. Just see those popular GH2 settings. They are 100Mbps gop3 or 154Mbps gop1. gop6 didn't become popular cuz GH2 firmware 1.0 was kinda unstable at gop6. Yeap P-frame got the blame. Now it's firmware 1.1. Maybe we need to rethink about high bitrates. You know... B and P frames can be good friends :)

I was glad to see @eoshd's gop6 setting, but it failed on the stress test for NTSC mode. Initially I-frames spiked up then became flat dead below 0.3MB. @eoshd, more tweaking please. Sorry I don't know how. I'm gonna revert to the fail-safe 32Mbps settings that double the default bitrates and set to maximum auto quantization.

• @chrischtili something went wrong with your videos

• I uploaded 2 videos on vimeo. I am really happy with this cam:

Videogames - GF2 Hack from chrischtili on Vimeo.

Drums - GF2 Hack from chrischtili on Vimeo.

• @fesem, I think that looks great, good enough for a b-cam for my purposes for sure

• @fesem can you attach the ini/zip file? Thanks