Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 1: v3b Rocket - v4b Orion - v5 β Pictoris
  • 1019 Replies sorted by
  • Hey guys, first post for me here - thought this could be interesting - I had a chance to test the c300 and it was 5 minutes after I loaded the Orion v4 setting - did a bit of grading on the c300 in the first part, gh2 footage is out of the camera - in the second part I wanted to see what happens if I push the RGB curve up to see how well the shadow detail was and what happens to the codec in blacks...

Will have to research some more to get a flatter image.. any suggestion is welcome.

• pop24 February 29, why ????

• @Driftwood First of all: I really appreciate all your hard work! Regarding your question, I rather use your matrix to make full use of the settings in the camera instead of always reducing sharpness to -2. Suddenly my Panny glass became usable again. Even if I own lots of great vintage lenses (Rokkor and Russians), there are situations where I need some stabilization or even push-focus. You brought that back to me. Being used to RED cameras at work (the GH2 is my own pretty little baby), I rather use mild sharpening in post when grading (if I need any). It's much better to decide on that after grading instead of having it imposed on me from the start. Footage with your matrix grades very well for 8 bit, and normally I don't even need sharpening once I nailed contrast and color. Plus, I'm doing a lot of available light or situations where I don't have the time to fumble with filters. A few custom settings and I'm very quick with the camera. Conclusion: Yes, please, optimize your matrix and you make all doc style folks very happy, I'd say.

• Work begins on 'Thee Matrix' once Quantum X v5 'ß Pictoris' is uploaded shortly.

• @driftwood I'm happy with the current matrix tbh. Adapting to it hasn't been as difficult as I figured it would be so I'm game to see what we'd get if you pushed the luma blocks a bit more.

• @kitano Quantum X v5 'ß Pictoris' should go somewhere towards helping you. It will be released shortly. It has been tested on a variety of cards inc. 32Gb Transcend. Fingers crossed it will work for you.

• @driftwood Could you please help me with this... I have many class 10 trancend cards and they are all crashing. V2 rocket FH settings was fine untill v3 was upped to 72000000. Can I change the FH setting back to 36000000. Thanks

--- earlier posted @driftwood Hi there, a quick question regarding V3 Rocket for GF2 - the earlier settings (v2) was FH/H=36000000 and now 72000000.

If I just want 44000000 or 36000000 maximum as it suits my requirement.. would it be okay, I mean is it going to be compatible with your matrix. Thanks in advance

• @driftwood

Who prefers my matrix and who prefers the official GH2 matrix?

I think I prefer something in between. Then again, it’s a paradigm shift for me. I’m used to GH2’s native matrix but with sharpening pulled all the way down to -2. If I had the option of getting the same sharpness at 0, I’d consider it ideal.

Does your scaled AVC-Intra matrix affect processor load in any way? I’m having reliability issues with most of the modes and was wondering if switching back to the original GH2 matrix will help. (Or does it make no difference in this respect?)

• @pwc

That first one made me say, "OOOoooooooo....", out loud. Very nice!

• @driftwood I am unqualified to answer your question. :-)

• My two takes at Nick's shot using the technique described here: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2237/automated-color-grading#Item_1.

@driftwood I tested yesterday Quantum X v3b in all PAL modes (1080 & 720), with and without ETC, at low (160) and high (2500) ISO on a SanDisk 64GB 95MB/s card with panny 14-140: everything went fine, except once (but this has already been reported) : HBR failed once on high ISO (after 17s, had to remove the battery & clip was recorded with size 0 on the card).

The quality level is so good that, to my amateur eyes, I was hard pressed to find any glaring differences (except in motion between 24/25p/50i and 50p) between the different modes on my Viera screen: top quality across the board without any distracting compression artifacts (I filmed outdoors and dimly lit indoors environments), which is probably what many of us want in the first place.

Kudos Vitaliy & Nick for your untiring work.

Driftwood-01.png
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
    Driftwood-02.png
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
  • @kholi

That looks so beautifully amazing - about the best I've seen so far. I'm definitely going to try those settings out. Would you alter anything if you weren't using a Black Diffusion 3?

• Question to All: Who prefers my matrix (based on AVC-Intra's official one and scaled by myself after a months eval and testing) or who prefers the official GH2 matrix? Should I work on pushing the Luma values a little further?

Let me know.

Nick

• @driftwood , that Pictoris sneak peek looks amazing. Thank you for your tireless work.

In my view Pictoris might become the most used hack for reliability, quality and file size for the GH2. Can't wait!

• Orion w/panny 100-300 crashed on both high and low quality today, basically anytime I tried to pan. Gonna try b tomorrow. But 24h looks beautiful, even on etc. Backing up cards but will try to post a few grabs.

• @stanlymanly2 Your video looks amazing! Which lens did you use? What settings in the camera? What did you use for grading? Thanks Izhar

• Firstly, thanks so much for all the hard work! Just tried v3B Rocket RC and SpanMyBitchUp v2b, both did crash with my Kingston 32GB Class 10 100X Memory card was formatted after each firmware change.

SpanMyBitchUp crashes pretty quickly for me, freezing whole camera. Having focus tracking on seems to speed up the crash too, although it's probably the panning rather than the focus processing. Either way I only got around 10-20 seconds footage in 1080 FSH mode, tried about 3 times in different lighting environs. This is as much as I tried with this firmware.

Rocket did much better, usually recording ok at 1080 FSH . I got recording stop 'limitations of recording card' occasionally while panning on the stress charts however. I haven't got to spanning limit but doubt it'll work based on these results so far. I started recording again after that however which was fine until I pressed record button again to stop recording, that caused a full camera freeze. Next time I tried this it started/stopped just fine.

1080 FH seems to work quite well, 312MB for 36 seconds of footage (including fast panning and stress charts). Plays back on camera fine, and on media player (version 12, win-7). vlc couldn't handle it, with the frame freezing up on the stress charts. All I-frames, Average Video Bitrate = 69,527,913

Recording in 720 SH didn't give me any problems during recording, but results in corrupted video. Can't playback on device, media player has jumpy video with bottom of frame occasionally corrupted, vlc has smooth playback in places, gray screen or freeze frame in others (mostly during times of high panning). 720 H gives same results.

All tests on rocket were with i.Dynamic and flicker reduction (1/50) enabled.

I might have to get myself a faster (and bigger) card if I want to do more with high bitrates! After next paycheck maybe.

Cheers, Andrew

• never mind.. read the post about monitor size. Was hoping... ;-)

• @driftwood is that 2K from the mjpg !!??

• @cinemon

Yup. Cinema -2 x 4

But this still (attached)

Was Cinema +1, -2, 0, -2

Still experimenting but these might be the settings I sit on for a while.

bcmadness.png
    1281 x 727 - 1M
  • @kholi orion v4b with cinema -2-2-2-2?

• @kanintesova

Yup. LOL

It's Cinema profile. Didn't mean for people to actually guess. LOL Was just typin' on my way into a meeting.

@videohq

I actually like that, brighter. Slightly magenta bias on my screens ( two calibrated Apple's and a calibrated studio LCD for coloring.), otherwise pretty much what I'd do for some quick cut-ins/shoe leather.

• mashed mosquito on the wind shield ;)

• What is that big ass blur on the green bush below the mcdonald's sign?

• @kholi Can you just let us know what profile you used? :P

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions