Personal View site logo
STEADICAM SOLUTION FOR GH2
  • 158 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy Yes, you are right - sorry, I realize it must return to vertical even if slowly.
  • @Mark_the_Harp

Stabilizer not must be balanced so you'll have to keep camera vertical.
    It must return from horizontal position to vertical in about 1-3 sec by itself (this is called drop time).
    Different people prefer different time, also it could depend on model.

• I bought the mini sturdycam and i'm definitely happy. Little, solid, easy to use and gives good stabilisation
  • That's nice. I think the balance is an issue, though - the camera should be perfectly balanced (so you have to keep the camera vertical on your own - if the stabilizer is keeping the camera upright, it's not balanced, and it will "pendulum" about when you move).

I'm not claiming mine is perfect either, as the balance is a bit bottom-heavy on that shot in my video.

The other thing I'm sure you've discovered, is that you have to plan the moves very carefully, and look in three places at once!
  • I bought Flycam nano for GH2. Here's my first test with this combo after few minutes initial balancing.
    Just to mention that I don't have any previous experience with steadycams.

• I second the Blackbird. I used it on this shoot - at about 1.54 in:

The tripod shots were done with 2x Canon XHA1 HD camcorders, and all the location and other handheld shots were done on the GH2 with no stabilizer, using the 14-140. The IS on the 14-140 is very good I think.

You do need a lot of care when using the Blackbird - for example, you have to work out what height you are going to use the camera, hence the orientation of the flip-out LCD, because the position of that has a huge effect on balance. I could have done that shot without the Blackbird but it would have been difficult.

From experience it is quite hard work using a stabilizer. And yes, it needs practice in walking smoothly etc. As a musician I think of it like buying a very good instrument - it won't make you play better but will give you the 'possibility' of better. By the way , the weight of Blackbird / GH2 / 14-140 is fine. A stabilizer that's too heavy is very hard work after a while (the XHA1 is 5.5lb / 2kg, which is hard work!). The GH2 is a really good pairing with stabilizers: look up my other videos on vimeo because there's an extended 2 mins-ish test with GH2 / Blackbird as well.
  • $700 at BnH. It bites
  • It is easier to stabilize heavier camera as it will have more inertia and the balanced system will have more inertia still. I am using black bird camera stabilization system with my gh2. It works very well and is easier to use than the Glidecam systems.