Personal View site logo
DaVinci Resolve 8.1.1 Lite, DNxHD and GH-2 footage
  • 74 Replies sorted by
  • @paglez still working that out, but the initial offering will be less than $30 US.
  • Ok, thanks
  • @Shian

I managed to find out more about your project and am so glad someone has finally customised something for Gh2 - it's long overdue. Congrats on yr pioneering work!

I am most happy to pay for it, except that I am not so much an AE user, although I run CS4 on my PC. Like many on this forum, i edit mainly on FCP 7 (still think FCP X is bullshit) and finish on that platform. Right now, I use Colour as a primary grading tool, having incorporated Technicolour as an LUT (built for Canon), and occasionally port over to Da Vinci Lite. Would be so glad, and am sure many here would be as well, if you could look into a FCP version of yr app. I know thus far you've been working on AE architecture, and I know we can use Auto Duck et al. Still, dun quite fancy AE as a finishing tool - not just yet
  • @shian

I like anything shot by Roger Deakins. I know the amount of work they put in lighting and all, but most of the grading is pretty excellent. Like this guy who made Musgo, he did an excellent job grading GH2 footage.
    If someone knows how/where to get good grain like you see in Revolutionary Road, i'd be interested.

abm09[1].jpg
    960 x 518 - 36K
    abm18[1].jpg
    960 x 517 - 35K
    abm04[1].jpg
    960 x 518 - 77K
    830px-SarahSorkinsHouse[1].png
    830 x 449 - 567K
    830px-MilesandMarilyn[1].png
    830 x 448 - 427K
    screenshot-lrg-01[1].png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    screenshot-lrg-03[1].png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    screenshot-lrg-05[1].png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    screenshot-lrg-13[1].png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    The_Village-250[1].jpg
    389B
  • @Shian
    I can fully understand that you develop for AEFX. As soon as you get into secondaries, good tracking is mandatory. Neither FCP7 nor Color has any tracking worth to mention.

@Johnnym
    BTW, the grain reducer in AEFX can generate grain too, even analyze and copy it from film. Be careful, though, if you need further GOP compression!
  • @shian Oh man! Just saw all your posts about the plugin for AE and I'm soo looking forward to see your plugin! to be honest.. just from your posts.. I would buy it right now :-) really .. can't wait.. please keep us updated about the development.. any ETA on when its coming out? ;) just take your time..
  • But how can you compete with a FREE high-end grading program? I'm learning it now and it is not easy, but all the features are there.
  • @disneytoy then don't buy it. I'm glad you have a system that will run Resolve. Not everyone does. AE will run on almost any system made in the last 5 years. I've been running the full version of Davinci at work for years. If I had a system that would run it without errors and crashing, I'd run it in a heartbeat. Davinci is the industry standard, and with the control surfaces, it's the fastest, most complete grading system on the planet. But for everyone else, there's ColorGHear.
  • @nomad I hear ya. I wish AE had the kind of secondary tracking like Davinci. But the Built in tracker, along with mocha for AE does yield workable results.

@MarkV in a few weeks. I'll post a demo walkthrough here in about a week, maybe less. From there I wanna get feedback from users, maybe have them send me some footage of theirs to correct, and take suggestions for features people would like to see added/changed, then do what I can to accomodate them, and then release it in January.
  • Yeah, that's what I meant, Mocha comes quite close. I think there really is a market for your product – if I would need to spend between 300 and 1.600 extra for a GPU that fits Resolve, it's not really free.
  • @disneytoy Also, like shian said.. he will provide some very useful tutorials/grading techniques and tips around his plugin.. that's cool! Sure resolve needs a good machine.. it runs fine on my duble GTX580 system, but thats not the point.. I would be happy to have grading plugin right inside of my AE.. sure.. I have Colorista II.. but what the heck.. shian does really good job I think with all these grading tips it would be really useful for "non-colorists" that needs a simple yet powerful and fast solution (like I do usualy) for color..
  • I'll cover Grain quite a bit in the tutorials. AFX Noise (monochromatic) does a really good job of adding grain, we use it all the time to add grain to CG when compositing in AE. But there's enough grain in most GH footage without having to add more.

My feeling on grain is this, reduce it as much as you can in camera. (You'll never completely eliminate it.) With everything else you need to focus on to get a film like image, the quality of grain should be the least of your worries. Whenever I'm watching a movie, unless the grain is annoying I don't even notice it. It's usually something you need to look for, and FILM grain is nice...but it just happens to be something inherent in the medium. Digital is not film, and with all that needs to be done to make Digital look like that "film look" we all love, achieving film grain should be at the bottom of the list.

And this is not the definitive word on the subject, but in my experience, the only way to get that "film-like grain" in a digital image is to shoot and record at 4K. That grain is naturally there in the RED, Viper, Phantom, and Alexis footage. The noise on those cams looks like grain. For some reason the noise on the smaller cams, even the hacked ones, just looks like noise. I don't know why, but that's just my experience.
  • I gave my last post a lot of thought today, and set down to see if there was a better way. It took me all day, but I totally cracked it.

There are now GHrain Killer and Film Grain gears in the package. The GHrain Killer alone is worth the price of the plug-in... It will blow your mind.
  • @shian wooha! sweet! so all these extra goodies are going to be in one main plug-in?
  • If you shoot below ISO 320 you can nearly remove all the visible grain with neat video. If you want to go to the big screens (not DVD..) you could add some really fine artificial grain to make it look more organic again. You just need to lower the size of the "particles".
  • @shian

Thanks. I really look forward to using it.
  • ColorGHear Primer is up

And part 2 is up. It's about an hour long, and lags a bit in places because rather than cheating, and scripting how to re-assemble the looks in the demo, you get to hear me think and analyze as I try to piece together how the look is created. (I don't think out loud, but if you crank up the sound, you can probably hear the gears turning in my head...well, maybe not over the constant "ummmm...ummmm"ing)

• Hour long? Awesome! Thank you for putting these up and looking forward to ColorGHear.
  • Shian has definitely done some tremendous work there.

Also if any of you folks have any questions about using Davinci Resolve. Let me know I might be able to help you. I know it's not one of the most intuitive programs ever made. (mainly due to still catering to a legacy audience).
  • New ColorGHear thread to handle announcements, questions, concerns, suggestions for the plug-in, as well as videos et al.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1817/colorghear-toolkit-powerful-color-correction-for-hdslrs#Item_10

@Bueller Thanks for the compliment.
  • A short Davinci Resolve question I hope anyone could answer: What would be the best output file for going from Resolve on a PC to a Mac for FCP with ProRes422 output? The source file in this case would be 4K R3D-files on a 1080P timeline. Wondering because I'm on a PC at home, but school is running a Mac-based workflow, and I'd like to try out Resolve instead of Color. Thanks!
  • @simensito http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1720/davinci-resolve-for-pc#Item_16

My post might answer your questions. Although in an interest of manageability from the point of view of disk space you might be better off doing color correction and using a target output mode in resolve after your editing for timing has been done rather than doing reconnecting of media or new XML generation out of resolve. You should get a very good quality downsizing in Resolve from your r3ds. Any of the exchange formats will be fine. One of course wouldn't want to use an h.264. Just be aware that the file/files generated will be large and have no sound in them.
  • Thanks, read your post and it made some sense :) The plan is to render out in uncompressed QT 10-bit in target mode and import to FCP and render out my final file in ProRes.

On another note; how do I manage with the different gamma on PC and on Mac, any suggestions?

• Here is a link to another discussion where I provide a working solution of a Avid DNxHD .mxf files workflow on PC. http://www.personal-view.com./talks/discussion/comment/42591#Comment_42591