Personal View site logo
Panasonic GH2 - Driftwood Settings Wont Work For Me?
  • Hello,

I'm knew here and I really like this place. My name is Deniz and im from The Netherlands I just bought a Panasonic GH2 With 14-42 Kit lens and a Voigtlander 25mm 0.95. This is my first ever device that I take photo's and video's with, so im I'm pretty new to THIS? So... first day i hacked my GH2

Steps:

Downloaded ptool3d.zip Downloaded GH2__V11.exe Downloaded Driftwood Quantum X Make New Map Name ''Hack'' Extract ptool3d.zip to ''Hack'' Double Click GH2__V11.exe And install in ''Hack''

In ''Hack'' Map:

Open ptool3d.exe Load GH2__V11.bin Load Driftwood Quantum X Save Settings... Name it GH2__V12.bin

In the mean time:

I changed my settings to

Creative Mode>24P Cinema Film Mode> Smooth Rec Quality>24H Exposure Mode>M

BTW my SD Card is: Sandisk 95MB/s 32GB SD Card Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I

I formatted my sd card in my camera. Then I loaded the GH2__V12.bin on my sd card. Turned my camera on, and pressed the play preview button. It asked me for update firmware I clicked YES. It was finished then I rebooted.

Here what happens:

I record for 1 or 2 minutes. then put sd card in computer i click on the .mts icon it says on the bottom: Data Rate:54435kbps Total Bitrate:54691kbps

Sometimes its 34246kbps

Shouldn't this be much more? I tried different settings & patches same result also with 720p60 That's actually the simple question I just tried to explain everything I know about this camera and my problem with this camera

and am I to newbie for this forum? Or is this place oke for starters from scratch?

I hope you guys can help.

• 13 Replies sorted by
  • I'm pretty sure that patch is a variable bitrate, meaning it scales the bitrate up depending on the complexity of the scene and stress on the encoder. If it was just a basic shot, then that bitrate makes sense.

At least that's my understanding of it.

• make sure you have newest ptool. build 200212 next to title. It has updated twice since intial 3.64 release. Also make sure you have quantum x v2.

The bitrate will vary a little but should be higher. I think you have mismatched versions.

• Hey,

Thanks for your fast reply

So it was not a problem de lens was just not under stress?

Thanks

• Hey,

I have everything up to date just checked but I'm going to re-download everything just in case.

• Yeah sure, the more detail the more bitrate. So try a more stressful scene.

• I was going to live and let live but since this thread was started then I'll mention that I too have been hovering around 56 to 60 Mbps in well lit scenes. In darker scenes the bit rate jumps up to 60 - 70+ (or there abouts) but mainly stays lower than that. I'm as baffled by it as @Ginji

• Agree with Ian - and the problem for me with variable bit-rates is that I rarely find them using the correct bit-rates when low color / low detail scenes are being filmed.

For instance if you film a close up head shot of an actor or actress with a telephoto lens and the background is a solid color or dark, the bit-rate dumps and skin tone goes to hell and the shadows plug up.

A landscape scene with lots of foreground and buildings and movement would have no trouble. So right now shooting with a low variable bit-rate and actors is frustrating (using Quantum Xv2).

I have gone back to Quantum 9b for videos with people in them.

• Quantum Orion will give you back CBR style Quantum 9b.

• Sounds great!

• :) - awesome!

• @ginji I had similar issues before and after I fixed an error in my hack setup, you might want to look at this thread, especially the comment from Keith. http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/42777#Comment_42777

• @driftwood orion will give us something similar to quantum 9b?? or will be the best image quality of all?? cant wait,..he he

• @Wildlark i hope thats the problem then.... but ill wait for the Quantum Orion sounds cooler:D