Personal View site logo
Official Low GOP topic, series 4
  • 586 Replies sorted by
  • @spacewig right click on the before pic to view at full size and you can see the grain.

• OK, didn't know you could do that. Still, very well behaved. Sensors have made major progress in the last few years.

• @redbaron

A screengrab from a short I am making at the moment. Shot at 1250, all ambient light (sun). I just find the noise relatively heavy.

FG 12.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • @redbaron, That still looks cleaner than ISO 1250. How did you set your in-camera white balance for this shot?

• @spacewig

Have you used any denoising filter on that screengrab? Noise doesn't look a lot worse than redbaron's "before". I'm only a novice, but I would say redbaron has exposed slightly to the right on the histogram, whereas your shot looks central (if not slightly underexposed)? Also his shot has less depth of field...maybe that makes a difference? The subjects in redbaron's "before" are slightly out of focus, and it looks like he has applied some post sharpening.

With a bit of post work you can clearly use ISO 1250, but denoising filters alone add a lot of time to render. If you can/afford it light your scene, drop the ISO and live with less noise. This is the way I want to go, but I know naff all about lighting (and the rest!). All i know is most of us have decent camera's nowadays, but footage often still looks like cheap video. Lighting is key!

All the best

• Also, what is the proper way to post pics in this forum. I kind of hacked it.

• @L1N3ARX "I think this is where the real "secret" to a cinema look lies... not in DOF, not necessarily in DR, but in motion blur or how the frames blend together. This is why canon I think the 7d/5d can look amazing in a screenshot using cinestyle, but in motion it falls apart for me and has a much more artificial look to it, than say the GH2, red, or film. I wonder if I'm the only person who thinks this, or if there's anyone else that can properly describe what I'm seeing."

...just look up the beginnings of the Low-GOP threads. :) Initially, everyone thought a few of us were insane for suggesting that the GOP could have an effect on motion.

You're not alone!

I also think this is where allot of the jell-o-vision comes from. After using GOP1 patches, and recently Qv9b... I've noticed that there isn't really any "jello". Sure you can see the rolling shutter if you're shooting like a maniac... but the "jelly-ness" of the image is gone. I'm thinking that the dreaded "jello-vision" is not so much rolling shutter, but how the long-GOP motion amplifies the rolling shutter.

... just my thoughts on it.

• And I will ad to what bwhitz and L1N3ARX are saying by mentioning that editors like Avid and Adobe LOVE GOP1 when you are running velocity envelopes and using twixtor (though nothing does compare to having actual frames - ie 60p - but damn I hate 720 oh well). And screen grabs seem to look better with GOP1 as well.

Quantum 9b is stunning.

• Little short I made using the Quantum 100 setting by driftwood. Language is german - sorry folks. Subtitles are in progress. Filmed mostly between Iso 640 and 1600.

• @sam It's beautiful, amazing composition, editing, soundtrack, acting, everything about it... Now please, can you tell us what's it all about? Subtitles should be mandatory, but I'm happy with a transcript.

• @duartix I will do subtitles later on, so you guys will understand.

• Quantum 100 crashed again today.

Had to film 1080 50i, then switched to 24p, recorded a little and the camera locked up.

Might have to turn camera on and off between switching modes.

• @sebben What card, detail type were you filming when it crashed?

• I've been using Aquamotion 2 and Quantum 100 a lot lately for doc work and they have been fantastic I've been able to span past 15 minutes on a not so great card, the Transcend 64 gig and my solid 32 SanDisk Extreme. Thank you Driftwood. Here is a SD sample of a piece I did for the BBC. The Art Of Boxing:

• Anyone at all may i ask?

Anyways, I am thinking of going ahead with the Quantum 100, is it possible if someone can tell me abit more about this one? and if it's completely stable at all?

• Great story Dave.

• @onionbrain : You wrote " but 4:2:2 doesn't mean the same thing it meant four years ago now that editors (NLE's) are ingesting, correcting, and editing at 12 bit 4:4:4)". 422 keeps double chroma samples than 420 and this the application you use to process your footage won't change this fact. NLEs ingest footage as it is and (at least FC and AVID) always has processed as 444 withe the bit depth available (10b Floating point in FC since FC4.5).

• I have a question that I haven't really seen a clear answer for yet. But if someone doesn't mind answering, what is the difference between quantum 9b at 24h versus seaquake at 24h? I know quantum has been said to be better overall in the modes(60p,etc). But coming down to quality or motion is their a difference between both seaquake and quantum 9b 24h's? I've been following along for a while now but have seen hints at there strong points: Seaquake, 24h = Pure Quality Quantum 9b, 24h = Motion? Is this how it goes?

• Finally got the go ahead to post this. I shot this in January for a local radio station, KCRW. It's mini-doc on the record store scene here in L.A.

Shot it with spanmybitchup on Sandisk Extreme 32GB and 16GB cards. Used the 7-14mm and the 25mm voigt. Lots of fun putting all my equipment to the test. Did very minimal color correction. Audio recorded with Rode Videomic feeding H4N into GH2 directly. Edited in FCP 7.

Thanks driftwood and Vitaliy! Looking forward to all the good stuff around the corner.

• @spaceandtime. I have tried both Seaquake and Quantum V9b. As Driftwood put it, Seaquake uses more constant rates where Quantum has variable rate controller. I have used Seaquake 24H at 160/154 mb/s and 24L set to 100mb/s. I also changed the AQ=3. This configuration allows me to span and use EXTC mode using my Transcend SDXC 64GB card and the 24L will record at 80% slomo on my Sandisk Extreme 32GB 30mb/s card. I could not span with V9b. I have played both patches side by side and could not see the difference in quality and motion. May be I don't have as keen of an eye as others. However, if you want motion, I am using Sanity patch for 1080i60 and 720p60 at 44/32 mb/s. I set my 720p60 AQ=0 and I am getting very good picture quality and very smooth motion on fast panning and fast motion scenes and works with EXTC mode. Hope this helps.

• Giving up on 1080 50i from Quantum 100 with SanDisk 32MBs HD Video - Lots of camera freezing.

• And while we're on the topic of Seaquake, is there a reason to go back to the Seaquake 244 mbit patch? I did a few tests and the results were amazing (when I could actually get it to play back), but I never went back to do an A/B comparison.

I'm looking for the patch with the highest quality 1080p settings, without regard to anything else. If anyone could shed some light, it'd be much appreciated.

• @5thwall, cool video. I shot something at Vacation not long ago and had the intention of shooting at Wombleton...that place is great, but I never did. Solid camera work and editing.

• @ehr thanks. really appreciate your comments. sending you a pm.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions