Personal View site logo
Official Low GOP topic, series 4
  • 586 Replies sorted by
  • Quantum 100 crashed again today.

Had to film 1080 50i, then switched to 24p, recorded a little and the camera locked up.

Might have to turn camera on and off between switching modes.

• @duartix I will do subtitles later on, so you guys will understand.

• @sam It's beautiful, amazing composition, editing, soundtrack, acting, everything about it... Now please, can you tell us what's it all about? Subtitles should be mandatory, but I'm happy with a transcript.

• Little short I made using the Quantum 100 setting by driftwood. Language is german - sorry folks. Subtitles are in progress. Filmed mostly between Iso 640 and 1600.

• And I will ad to what bwhitz and L1N3ARX are saying by mentioning that editors like Avid and Adobe LOVE GOP1 when you are running velocity envelopes and using twixtor (though nothing does compare to having actual frames - ie 60p - but damn I hate 720 oh well). And screen grabs seem to look better with GOP1 as well.

Quantum 9b is stunning.

• @L1N3ARX "I think this is where the real "secret" to a cinema look lies... not in DOF, not necessarily in DR, but in motion blur or how the frames blend together. This is why canon I think the 7d/5d can look amazing in a screenshot using cinestyle, but in motion it falls apart for me and has a much more artificial look to it, than say the GH2, red, or film. I wonder if I'm the only person who thinks this, or if there's anyone else that can properly describe what I'm seeing."

...just look up the beginnings of the Low-GOP threads. :) Initially, everyone thought a few of us were insane for suggesting that the GOP could have an effect on motion.

You're not alone!

I also think this is where allot of the jell-o-vision comes from. After using GOP1 patches, and recently Qv9b... I've noticed that there isn't really any "jello". Sure you can see the rolling shutter if you're shooting like a maniac... but the "jelly-ness" of the image is gone. I'm thinking that the dreaded "jello-vision" is not so much rolling shutter, but how the long-GOP motion amplifies the rolling shutter.

... just my thoughts on it.

• Also, what is the proper way to post pics in this forum. I kind of hacked it.

• @spacewig

Have you used any denoising filter on that screengrab? Noise doesn't look a lot worse than redbaron's "before". I'm only a novice, but I would say redbaron has exposed slightly to the right on the histogram, whereas your shot looks central (if not slightly underexposed)? Also his shot has less depth of field...maybe that makes a difference? The subjects in redbaron's "before" are slightly out of focus, and it looks like he has applied some post sharpening.

With a bit of post work you can clearly use ISO 1250, but denoising filters alone add a lot of time to render. If you can/afford it light your scene, drop the ISO and live with less noise. This is the way I want to go, but I know naff all about lighting (and the rest!). All i know is most of us have decent camera's nowadays, but footage often still looks like cheap video. Lighting is key!

All the best

• @redbaron, That still looks cleaner than ISO 1250. How did you set your in-camera white balance for this shot?

• @redbaron

A screengrab from a short I am making at the moment. Shot at 1250, all ambient light (sun). I just find the noise relatively heavy.

FG 12.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • OK, didn't know you could do that. Still, very well behaved. Sensors have made major progress in the last few years.

• @spacewig right click on the before pic to view at full size and you can see the grain.

• Your footage still looks relatively clean before processing. Perhaps the sensor in your camera behaves better than average. At any rate, good job!

Cheers

• @spacewig @daisuke @proaudio4 Yes, I did use the grainkiller. Here is a before and after color grade:

BEFORE

AFTER

• @driftwood Was shooting on location today - Quantum 100, 32gb extreme hd video 30mbs, under florescent lighting so had to shoot 1080 50i because of flicker. Using manual focus lenses.

Crashed twice when I had the audio levels displayed on the screen, worked alright for most of the day after I switched them off, crashed once more.

First time this has happened to me whilst using Quantum 100, but I have been using 24p mostly before this.

• thanks will post the film when finish

• SeAQuake, Quantum 7 or Quantum 9b. Theyre all similar but 9b should be good to go.

• @driftwood , next week i will be shooting a Short Movie and i would like to know whats the best Patch for Film like Look?

whats the best Patch for Movie or Film look?

• Yes, @redbaron please let us know how you managed to get this 1250 ISO footage so damn clean?

• @driftwood Thanks for the tips. Here's some video I shot before it crashed:

Next, I have a comparison showing video shot with 720p mode using the Voigtlander 0.95 25mm, followed by the same scene with the Olympus Zuiko f2.0 zoom @ 25mm. I'll post those too -- no sign of a crash with this so far.

• @ahbleza Don't forget 720p mode under stock settings is restricted to an i frame/p frame GOP whereas 1080p and 1080i isn't. This means Panasonic couldn't get 720p mode to work reliably straight out of the camera (switch on/hit record 720) using an i/p/b frame GOP configuration - or they felt it unneccesary (who knows).

The XDCAM patch brings b frames to 720p modes but you can't hit Record straight out after a switch on. However, the workaround is to first record a second or two of 1080i or 1080p and then STOP, switch to 720 mode and record fine.

• I just ran a test using Driftwood's XDCAM 50Mbps on a GH2 with manual lens (Voigtlander) and Sandisk 8 MB class 10 (30 Mbps.)

First two recordings worked, but the third one locked up the camera with the usual message, requiring battery removal. I'll do some more tests, as I liked the look of the footage.

• Please say you used a denoiser, my iso 160 doesn't even look this clean.

• Nice @redbaron

The image is virtually noise free. Did you post remove noise with ColorGhear or Neat Video (or other)?

• Here's some footage, from a creative commons gathering, shot with Quantum 9b all around 1250 ISO at night and indoors. A little grading with ColorGHear:

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions