Personal View site logo
Best Rental Lens Under 30mm?
  • Have a commercial shoot coming up with already allocated budget to rent lenses. I have a need to rent a GH2 lens in the 20-28mm range (preferably 21-25mm.) Lighting is controlled so I don't need low light, just optimum sharpness and contrast.

Am leaning towards Zeiss ZE 21mm 2.8 (Canon Mount) but wanted to see if anyone had used it here on GH2 here yet.

Thanks in advance. I have no issue using a constant aperture zoom that covers the range as long as its optically competent.

• 13 Replies sorted by
  • If you don't use FF it is Panasonic 20mm F1.7 :-)

• I sorta like the Zeiss 21mm. I rented the nikon version and had nice results with it.

• Thanks guys!

RE: Leica/Panny lenses

I've read on here that using authentic Panasonic lenses with our glorious hacks make them more likely to cause errors vs lenses that don't electronically connect. Have any of you run into those kinds of issues?

(Yes, I've actually managed to not use a single authentic m43rds lens thus far.)

@rockroadpix

Would you happen to have any footage of the Zeiss/GH2 combo footage online?

• I haven't had a problem with Driftwood v9b and the Leica/Panny 25mm. Haven't pushed it past 4gigs though yet. Do you need spanning? If you're worried about the m43 lenses, the Nokton 25mm .95 looks great too.

• Nothing on line. It was shot for the client all proprietary- trade secret stuff. I'll try to find a good frame grab tonight.

• I haven't used the Leica DG 25mm 1.4, but I personally rent the Nokton when I want a lens in that range. If you want it really sharp, keep the aperture between F2.8 and F4.0 - that's the optimum performance range.

You probably already have your favorite ND filters, but if you need a new one don't get an ND fader if you want the clearest picture - I've had good experience with a Hoya 9-stop ND filter so far (no vignetting on an M43 or 1.6x crop body, etc.).

• @cafeteriacarlos The electronic control of Panasonic lenses is not what makes high-bitrate patches less stable. It's the firmware lens distortion correction with its sharpening filter that is the problem. The filter accentuates aliased edge artifacts which takes more bitrate to encode. However, since none of the Leica-branded Panasonic lenses allow any distortion correction to be used, they do not cause problems of this sort.

• @hallvalla I use Quantum 100 now (for space and reliability on lesser cards, quality is still stunning) and do suspect I might need spanning. I've avoided the Nokton because I assumed it was a specialty low-light lens more than just a great all-arounder. Will consider it.

@rockroadpix Thanks dude, I've had the same issues when posting footage I've shot with GH2 hack stuff.

• @lpowell thanks man, glad to know the science behind it.

@thepalalias thankfully this shoot is all indoors with controlled lighting and I won't need an ND. I've been getting by using the LCW Fader ND Mark I on my 77mm lenses (Tokina 11-16, Samyang 35mm.) Loss in sharpness is there but it has gotten me out of a jam.

• Has nothing to do with the hack, it's the client- boring, but secretive (disclosure agreement) training video.

By the way, I have the 25mm .95 and it is a very good all around lens.

• Cheers guys, I went with the Nokton.

@rockroadpix that's more or less what I meant actually, I hacked in December and haven't done a project where I actually own the footage since.

• Just returned the lens and I have to say I was extremely happy with it. For someone who uses adapted EOS mount lenses, the size was just a dream. Build quality is outrageously good and the lens just handles really well.

In terms of my specific shoot, the Nokton's ability to close focus saved us a ton of time.

Thanks again for the advice, gents.

@thepalalias because I told you I wouldn't need an ND, of course I did. We ended up using a refashioned 77mm ND (gaffer tape + rig) for a chunk of shots. I will certainly consider the Hoya NDs now.