Personal View site logo
Updated w/more footage: Epic and GH2
  • 72 Replies sorted by
  • @kholi what compression settings do you use before you upload to vimeo? I was playing around with the footage download in after effects a little bit and I noticed that the Epic footage has a lot of strange artifacts in the blue channel that are not present in the gh-2 footage. Obviously this isn't very scientific seeing as it is compressed and I am not trying to start any sort of versus argument but it does seem a little strange and it has peaked my curiosity.

• @kholi oops this video proves similarity,..nice work

• @Reckless

Let's see here... the RED stuff's third generation. Meaning it came from R3D files to Pro Res LT, then from that to X264. The GH2 stuff's also third generation, Pro Res LT to X264 for web.

If you're seeing a lot of weirdness in the Epic footage, it's probably not there in the R3D (raw). I'm also not very good at compressing material. =P

@rajamalik

If it's close/similar for you, then that's all that matters. =] Go forth and create.

• @kholi thanks, I don't think there is anything wrong with the R3D file I just wonder when what the trade off is for converting to 1080p. If you shoot at 2k you lose resolution but the file is smaller so less compression, less compression artifacts. If you shoot above that 3-5k more resolution but bigger file so more compression, more artifacts, theoretically.

• @Reckless

I'll take a look at it today. I'm just going to assume that it's several generations of compression and not recording above 8:1 for this stuff.

But, actually, 2K is ton more blockier/artifacty than 3K, and especially 4K or 5K. 3K than 4K, 4K than 5K.

The higher you go, the more tighter the ratios, the better the compression.

• Hum...anyone said that the Red beats the crap out of the gh2 already? Only natural, but has to be said.

• @littleD

Nobody said it but man you best be PACKING HEAT when you say that in MY house. "Red beats the crap out of the GH2"? Whigga PLEEZ. Ima get up in ya grill so fast ya be all like huh wha who engaged EX TELE MODE all of a sudden except nobody engaged it G that's just how fast and how hard I be vehemently defending the honor of a giant Japanese conglomerate and an inanimate piece of metal and plastic I happen to own and therefore feel emotionally attached to. Ya best blee DAT.

Take yo punk-ass RED re-badged GoPro and git yo ass back to reduser, beeyotch. Sheeeeeeeeeeeet.

• This illustrates the state of CMOS maturity. Look what is possible for $700. CMOS sensor, Processors, codec, HDMI out, touchscreen, audio etc.

Look at what magic lantern did emulating the HDRx feature in Epics.

And things are only getting better. This is a big camera year. d4, D800, C300, 5dmIII, 7DII, GH-3, and more. The bar is rising. Hopefully Panasonic engineers keep up the good work. I'm glad the GH-3 most likely won't be announced until Photokina is a good thing.

• I'd prefer the model naked next time. Just so we can check the skin tones more throughly.

• @shaveblog You made my day. ; )

• I did a quick color correction on the clip for fun. It certainly wouldn't be hard to get the colors and skin tones to match up if I spent more time on it. Although the difference in resolution does show (but this is between 3K and 720p so what would you expect) I would certainly not be opposed to using the GH-2 as a B-Cam to an EPIC for Broadcast television or web, Joe public would never notice the difference in resolution and I doubt a client would unless you pointed it out to them, it is less apparent with motion. I would love to play around with uncompressed files or see some 1080p compared to the 3K.

Epic.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    GH2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • @Reckless

I should've mentioned that I did some quick matching myself. image image

Keep in mind, 3K and 2K are not strong indicators of Epic's power (of course). If you were shooting 24/30, then you'd use 5K, and even at a 12:1 compression it would murder GH2 Hack.

Still, they would cut together. For 5K to 1080 comparisons I'd want to get right in the same space, same frame, etc. But, cutting it together, well I do have some footage of that and they cut just fine @ 1080/2K.

B-Cam's no issue, it's A-Cam status if that's what you've got or you need the stealth.

bbefore.png
    720 x 406 - 452K
    bafter.png
    720 x 405 - 433K
  • hey kholi. I was wondering if you ever used neat video on this footage? because it looks pretty darn clean to my eye.

• i do have to say the GH2 for a "cheap" camera holds up well to a camera 10x more.. at some point you have to split hairs... but the GH2 blows away anything in its price range. this is like comparing a Caddy to a Kia.. if the Kia is even marginally close.. its a win for people seeking great results for low bucks. I shoot on low buck ENG cameras at work.. and the GH2 is half the cost with glass, and blows them out of the water.

• Hi everyone

Instead of starting a new topic I'll hijack this one as the theme is somewhat similar.

Here a fashion video we shot with the RED Scarlet and the GH2 as a B-Camera.

The GH2 holds up pretty well. Can you spot the GH2 shots? It's about 10% of the video.

Scarlet was on 3K 49fps with a Angenieux Optimo Rouge Lens. GH2 with GOPstoppa patch (- I think. Not 100% sure) on 80% mode with a Nikon 50mm lens.

Graded on Davinci Resolve

• @simonstar66 Really I can't tell the difference all shots looks like it's from one camera.

• @kholl, I think your matching must be off. The second seems significantly darker than first. Or maybe my screen is bad.

• @simonstar66

Everything about that video is great besides the content. I hate fashion ads so much I can't even

some people actually ride bikes.

• @liquidfy

The first is the original GH2 image, the second is the matched-to-Epic image.

@nathannguyen

Nah, no denoise, just color adjusted really quick.

• What is the best hack for using the GH2 as a B camera for the RED? I am gonna be shooting a short film on RED and want to use the GH2 as b camera for some difficult shots, mainly running through the forest army style. Is it also best to use Smooth -2 -2 -2 -2?

• @thougts2uk

I always use the nostalgic setting with everything but saturation turned to -2

Of course the GH2s exposure latitude is nowhere near the Epic but if you take care not to clip higlights the shots can be matched to RED quite well in the grading.

I think Nostalgic offers the best latitude and the smoothest highlights. You have to grade out the warm tone later or adjust the Kelvin setting.